• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Looking for a Bigger Stroller

spiveyam

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney in 20 days and I am looking for a stroller that holds an 85 pound child. I have looked through many threads that recommended a mountain buggy stroller but can't come up with any site that rents these. I have a 5 year old and she still naps so I need a stroller. Any ideas?

I have mountain buggies and adore them, have you tried Craigslist and just bringing the stroller with? I got my single for 60 bucks that way.

The bob will probably work for you in a pinch though, I disliked it as a double (like 2 wheels I'm front) but love it as a single. You could also try the baby jogger city elite.

will check craigslist...do you know who rents baby jogger city elite? I thought I checked and the weight limit was 70/75

I think for a child that heavy you might do best with one if the park strollers as she probably exceeds the weight of most strollers except special needs strollers. My choice would be not take one at all and go back to the room for naps when necessary.

Have you thought about renting a stroller in the parks? We did this last summer and thought it was $$ well spent. It was great not having to deal with a stroller on the bus.

Orlando Stroller Rentals (eep... I know they're the sponsor but I promise I'm not affiliated!) have a Liberty Pushchair, which will suit a child up to 100lbs.

We had a really positive experience using them last fall and plan to use them again in January. Mine are still very small, so I can't vouch for the particular stroller, but the service is good. Also, the ability to just grab a handle and the whole thing folds is extremely useful as you don't want to be faffing around when it's time to get on the bus.

https://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/OurStrollers

I'm somewhat in the same boat! My DS5 is somewhat of a bruiser, too, weighing in about 62lbs.

I'm looking at the Liberty Pushchair and the City Mini Elite? Has anyone tried both of these? I'm looking for comparison as far as which is more cumbersome and which would be more compact both collapsed and set up. From appearance I would say the Liberty Pushchair looks to collapse more compact (for the sake of bus travel), but it has a higher weight limit, which is beyond what I need, so I'm wondering if my eyeballed estimation is accurate. I don't want more chair than I need, but I have reservations of bringing something on buses and in the park like a jogging stroller (the elite).

I don't want to rent the strollers in the park, because I need something in case he gets grumpy waiting for the bus/boat. I'd like to be able to wheel a sleeping child to the room.

Anyone have any personal insight on either of these choices? Please and Thank you!:wave2:

I really think it would be in the best interest of everyone for your child to walk in the park. Take breaks when she's tired. I can't imagine pushing 100+ lbs around the park (child and stroller) and I workout a lot.

Many if not most five year old do need a stroller in the parks. Just because she is larger than your typical 5 year old, does not mean she has less of a need. I do think you will have a hard time finding a non-special needs stroller that will support her weight and not be hard to push. Renting the liberty push chair may very well be worth the money. We rented a single at Epcot one night (that my 5 year old REFUSED to ride in), but he did sit down in it for like 10 seconds and he pretty much filled it up. He was about 45 inches and 45 lbs so if you decide to rent at the parks, she may be happier in a double.

My daughter is currently around 71lbs and we will either be getting the City Elite or the Liberty Pushchair for her. I've looked around and these are the only two that I can find that will accommodate her weight. I think I'm leaning toward the Liberty because it will give her more leg room (she is 7 and tall). I will be renting from Orlando Stroller Rental.

We are going to Disney in 20 days and I am looking for a stroller that holds an 85 pound child. I have looked through many threads that recommended a mountain buggy stroller but can't come up with any site that rents these. I have a 5 year old and she still naps so I need a stroller. Any ideas?

How tall is your 5 year old? If she's really tall, I think the park strollers would work the best - because a special needs or extra large stroller would be really hard to lug around, especially on buses.

If she's just heavy for her age, but of average height, try this site:

http://strollers.baby-gaga.com/reviews.php

You may have to buy one though, not rent.

Baby jogger city elite weight max is 75 pounds. My 2 year old is 30 pounds and I can still push her in it with only one hand.

Many if not most five year old do need a stroller in the parks. Just because she is larger than your typical 5 year old, does not mean she has less of a need. I do think you will have a hard time finding a non-special needs stroller that will support her weight and not be hard to push. Renting the liberty push chair may very well be worth the money. We rented a single at Epcot one night (that my 5 year old REFUSED to ride in), but he did sit down in it for like 10 seconds and he pretty much filled it up. He was about 45 inches and 45 lbs so if you decide to rent at the parks, she may be happier in a double.

We took our son when he was 5, never used a stroller and he did great. He would never use a stroller he said they were baby chairs. Actually none of my 3 kids used a stroller after about age 3.

I don't think a park stroller would work in this case because it is needed for naps. Those strollers do not look comfortable for naps since they don't recline.

I don't think a park stroller would work in this case because it is needed for naps. Those strollers do not look comfortable for naps since they don't recline.

If a 5 year old needs to sleep, any stroller will do! My older daughter fell asleep on my husband's shoulders one night while we were walking out of the park. I have the cutest picture to prove it ;)

WDW Single Strollers are recommended for up to 50lb. The Double is recommended for up to 100lb, and although there are buckle straps in the center, there is no bump in the seat. The roominess might make it easier for her to get comfortable for a decent rest, plus you could have room for a bag or purchases. Certainly not the fanciest option, but the pros of the weight limit, roominess, and not having to haul that stroller outside of the parks on and off other modes of transportation might give it consideration!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/stroller-rentals/

I will be bold and say, it's not up to anyone else to decide that your kid should not be allowed to ride in a stroller because they are "X" age. No two kids are alike, and no one else's criteria should apply to whether or not your kid will be able to enjoy a full day at the park without access to a rest, no matter their age. You know your kid, and it's up to you to plan a trip that your family will enjoy-if a stroller will make that trip more enjoyable, then you should find one that will safely give your kid the rest/break she needs to enjoy her vacation!

I really think it would be in the best interest of everyone for your child to walk in the park. Take breaks when she's tired. I can't imagine pushing 100+ lbs around the park (child and stroller) and I workout a lot.

And I think it'd be in your best interest to stick to the topic and not be giving unsolicited advice. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter