HELP...Leaving Sunday and Getting Nervous...

mdelesde

Earning My Ears
I am one of those people who always knows she is forgetting something but can't figure out what until she is
half way down the road. We are leaving on Sunday evening for WDW and I want to feel at ease about this trip.
Hubby already has doubts that we will have an amazing time. We will be flying down with our kids, ages 4 and
2. Any tips on packing? What to bring? What to get down there? HELP! I know I saw a great post a while back
about traveling with small kids and labeling them with info. Any ideas on that?

So far, I have 3 meal vouchers so that will help some with meals. How much cash should we have on hand? Do
all the places take credit card/check card? I've called for priority seating at one character meal (which is all we
are planning on doing). I've made a notebook of maps, coupons, menus for restraunts to eat at, ect to take
with us. What should I be doing now? I know there is something. I still have to buy a lifejacket for my daughter,
ponchos in case of rain(?), snacks, ect....

My other question is double stroller or single stroller? I have bought 2 harnesses for the trip as well. At home, my
son walks on his harness in the malls, ect. but that has gone on for a month now. I am afraid if I take the double
stroller he won't sit in it anyways but yet if we just take the single he may need carried. Thoughts?

help ease my mind on this trip. Dh already thinks it is a big mistake.

Michelle
Leaving in 6 days

It seems to me that you have everything covered pretty well. My only word of advice would be to just relax, and have a good time.

Your husband sounds like he is being skeptical about the trip. Tell him to please be optimistic, because if you go to WDW expecting a horrible time that is what you probably will get! It's all about what you put into the trip, not what you expect out of it. This is supposed to be a VACATION :D I would suggest that you tell him that this trip means a lot to you, and that it's going to be a special experience for you and for the kids. Maybe it'll have to take a magical moment like seeing his children's faces when they see the castle for him to change his mind. But go through your itinerary together, so you're on the same page.

regarding the stroller question, I might suggest bringing the single stroller. If your son does end up needing to use a stroller, you can always rent one. But if you feel right now that he won't, then don't bring it... Or you can bring the double anyways, if he doesn't sit in it then you can use his side to put all your stuff :p

Just relax and look forward to a good time! Don't worry too much. Have a great trip! :Pinkbounc

Try to remember that you are going to Orlando, Forida, not the remote rainforest. If you forget something, you can buy it down there. There are numerous places a short cabride away from Mickey that sell EVERYTHING. Last year, for example, I hit the Walgreens to buy colored zinc oxide because my paleface daughter was frying despite the sunblock #45 I had packed!

Pack tons of ziploc bags. They can be used for everything. I also always pack chewable kids' Motrin. It's safe and can be given even for "placebo" effect if a kid thinks they are ailing. Did I mention ziploc bags?

Have fun!

Remember that there is nothing that you can not buy when you get there if your have forgotten it. Yes , it will cost a whole lot more, but it's not worth stressing out over forgetting something. I found that WDW has a way of mellowing my DH out. Make sure that you include some things that he will really like. My DH's favorite thing about WDW is that he never has to drive on the vacation. We use and are happy with the WDW transportation.
As far as the stoller, I would consider your budget. Very few 4 year olds could handle WDW without a stroller.It also sounds like he might be a wonderer. If renting a stroller is in the budget, you might be happier just to do that but I would be sure to budget for one every day or bring your own.
Try to relax and let the magic take over.

Jordan's mom

PS: Take the double stroller. OF COURSE if you take the single the kids will both want to ride. AND pack extra-large ziplocs and shove your dh in one if he starts complaining! I always tell my dear hubby, his job is to provide transportation to get me to WDW as many times a year as possible. It's part of being a Dad and Husband! :)

Michelle -- I ditto all the RELAXes!

We're leaving on Monday with our 6-year old daughter. We took her to Disney in September, 2001 when she was 4. My advice is to plan, plan, plan. Then when you get to Disney, go with the flow. Attitude is everything.

If you forgot something, you can buy it there.
If it rains, get the ponchos out.
Don't expect to see and do everything, especially with little ones.
Slow down and enjoy the magic -- it happens when you least expect it.

Have a great time!!:D

Thanks everyone! I am trying to relax. I am making a list of things to pack now. Any suggestions on packing? I read somewhere that someone packed a days worth of clothes (shorts, shirt, undies, socks) in a ziploc and labeled them for each person. How does this work for adult clothes? Won't packing this way wrinkle clothes?

Michelle

I pack clothes in gallon size ziplocs, then squeeze all the air out and seal it up.

I've found they actually wrinkle less because they're not moving around in the suitcase. It also makes more room in the suitcase.

I read on these boards somewhere that Walmart has really big Ziploc bags in their camping department. I haven't checked at our local Walmart yet but those would be good for packing clothes. I also packed all of our leakables-lotion, shampoo, etc-in Ziploc bags before packing them in the luggage. Relax and let the Magic take over--you are going to Walt Disney World:Pinkbounc

Get you a bottle of downey wrinkle release. It is wonderful. All you have to do is spray the cloths lightly, tug and smooth and the wrinkles are gone. We lay out our clothes each night at WDW and treat them as necessay and we are set to go the next morning.

jordan's mom

Another vote here for relaxing!! :teeth:

Don't sweat the small stuff!!! :)

I have found that paking for my children is easier if I use the gallon size zip bags. One outfit in one bag per day.
For adults I have found it easier and makes for less wrinkles take an outfit and 'roll' it. Place shorts/pants folded in half on a flat surface, place a top/shirt folded in half length wise on top of the shorts/pants, then place socks & undergarments at one end. Start rolling the all the layers together starting at the socks. Make sure shorts/pants & top/shirts are flat and as free of wrinkles as possible before rolling. Place in suitcase rolled up.

I saw this posted in a thread before our last trip to WDW and I also saw it on a travel website. I worked great and the clothes stayed mostly wrinkle free.

My other tip would be: Take less than you think you need. I found that on our first few trips as a family with the children we were taking way more than we needed. Too many snacks, too many toys to occupy the children in transit, too many comforts of home.

Have a great time and tell your DH to put on a happy face!! :teeth:

I saw the giant ziplocs at Target, near the regular ones. I think that they were 2.5 gallon size.

Ditto here on the Downy Spray -- that stuff is great. I always bring it for wrinklies after unpacking. If hubby is still frowning you might spray it on him! :)

I am leaving Saturday and I don't have a thing packed. Although, I DID bring up 2 suitcases last night...:rolleyes: It can't be said enough but RELAX. A vacation is supposed tbe fun and strees free. Go with the flow, follow the signals your kids give you, and be ready to change plans at a moments notice.

This is our 5th trip with our kids, ages 8 and 11 and we can't wait. Even at their age, they can get tired and cranky and believe it or not, can get bored with a park. When we see the first sign of boredom (nudging each other in a line, whining) we leave that park right away and head back to the resort to lounge around the pool. The change of scenery seems to chill them out and we are headed to another pack within a few hours.

Definitely go with the double stroller. It's worth every dime. Some ideas for you though...bring Wet Ones for sticky fingers and dirty faces (Mickey Ice Cream bars) and keep in a diaper bag or whatever you're carrying and a thing of Stain Stick. As you change your kids for bed each night just grab your stain stick and use as needed. The clothes won't be ruined after sitting with chocolate ot ketchup on them for a week until you get home.

A pen light for your 4 year old if he/she has the slightest issue with darkness on the rides. We found that as long as we laughed out loud at everything that we THOUGHT MAY scare our kids when they were younger, they were fine and laughed with us. Good luck and enjoy!

Gotta run now. Just had a moment of "not packed yet" panic!

I think I saw something about bringing a life jacket for the little one. Are you staying at a Disney property? They usually have one's available.

We are bring 2 lifejackets actually. We will be staying offsite for this visit unfortunately. Do you think the Ramada Inn Eastgate would have them available? I will call and ask.

Michelle

Are you sure that a duoglider front&back stroller is the best for the trip? I have heard several people say not to take bulky strollers and yet i don't think hubby will let me buy another stroller since our kids are outgrowing the 2 we have. I have a Graco Duoglider Front Tandem and a Single. HELP! Leaving in 3 Days!

Michelle

Bring a hip hugger or with a strap water bottle holder
to carry a 20 oz. water bottle, buy a 24 pack at the local grocery on the way from the airport to the hotel and leave the bottles in the car . Refill the bottle in the parks at the water bubbler or fill with ice.

ENJOY!

THE MAGIC HAPPENS!
:jester: :jester: :jester:

As long as you have the basics;

1. Your kids.
2.. Some cash ,bank card or credit card.
3. A few changes of clothes.
4.Some toiletries.

Hmmmm let's see I think I'm leaving something out :confused:

Oh yeah.....

#5 YOUR HUBBY! :teeth:

you're going to have a TERRIFIC TIME!!!

RELAX and ENJOY!!!! :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter