HELP!! Is this a scam??

fran99999

DIS Veteran
It sounds to good to be true. I called FL BBB and they said they have only 2 finshed complaints against them.

OK I received an email from FL travel Bureau with the following: for $279 PP must be bought in pairs so really $598 for 2.

3 nights in the raddison worldgate (walt disney good neighbor)

2 nights Daytona beach Raddison or Sheraton

4 day 3 nights on Royal Carribean to Nausau and private island
4 nights ocean front in Cancun or 6 nights in Puerto Vallata Mexico

These can be taken as one trip or as separate trips they can also be transferred at no cost. No it is not a time share they assured me.:scared1:

OK so why so inexpensive, they stated it is a special offer because of their 19th anniversary.

So has anyone heard of them. Sounds way to good to be true. The cruise alone is selling for $249 pp inside cabin.

I really want just the Raddison and cruise.

If it sounds too good to be true....

I think you have to pay upfront...before you even have any reservation. You probably then can ONLY book through their travel office. There may be other fees; the locations less than desirable, and not all dates may be available.

I've gotten those cards before. They get tossed as soon as they're in the house.

The old saying.....If you think it's too good to be true, then it probably is..:confused3

Gosh are these travel scams still going on? I remember these from when I was a TA, many, many years ago - though they used the Ramada Plaza instead of the Radisson back then :rotfl:

They always put urgency (i.e. like the "19th anniversary" they mentioned to you - or would say "you're not turning this wonderful opportunity down are you? Someone else would love to book it") so they could get your $$$ and then they sent you a package days later with all the fine print details and you found that there was never any availability for the dates you wanted to book AND that it was too late to cancel because the date they gave you started the day of the phone call NOT the day you received the package - and no one ever seemed to be around anyway when you wanted to cancel....

Back then, the cruise that everyone thought was going to be Carnival or Royal Caribbean was actually the Discovery day cruise (ferry) over to the Bahamas and back- and you had to pay extra for a day room to use and they charged ridiculously high $$$ port charges (notice their info always just says "port charges additional") :eek:

There are no Sheratons or Radissons in Daytona Beach any more (check their corporate websites), so just where are they planning on putting you - not that there would be any availability anyway. :guilty:

Looking at the Orlando BBB, "FL Travel Bureau" uses 3 different company names and 3 different addresses:
fltravelbureau
fltravel
sunshinetravelbureau

and they actually have had 23 BBB complaints listed with 12 in the last year:

Number of complaints processed by the BBB since the firm's BBB file was opened: 23
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in the last 12 months: 12

If I was you, I'd be VERY careful when dealing with this type of offer - and you can google the "ripoffreport" website on the Ramada Plaza deals to see how you could get burned so you can protect yourself and so it doesn't happen to you! (Or how to get your $$$ back if it already has!) Good luck and hope it works out with some pixie dust for you - but be careful!:goodvibes

Does it include airfare? I'm thinking not only do you have to book all the components through their agency, and probably provide a choice of dates (which may never be available), but you'll have to book your air through them and THAT'S where they'll get you. You'll likely have to pay an astronomical rate - akin to rack rate at a (non-Disney*) hotel.

*Have you ever checked the notice on the inside of your room door at a hotel? Rack rates - which, except for Disney, most people never pay - are like, $400 for a room you paid $75 for.

It's already been said but another vote from steer clear away from there. I've known people who have been there, done that, very upset with it all.

I purchased their package. Got the dates I wanted(called them 4 months in advance). I am using the 3 days orlando, 3 night cruise, 2 days Daytona in August 2007. I paid port charges (not astronomical - still cheaper than if you book separately) . Daytona hotel was not revealed yet...but I don't expect a 5-star accomodationb with the package price. So far, I haven't had any problems with them for me to conclude that it is a scam. I hope not. I will tell you more after our trip.

Noticed that the previous posts were from the ones who have not purchased their package. Anybody who have really bought it and have complaints???

I purchased their package. Got the dates I wanted(called them 4 months in advance). I am using the 3 days Orlando, 3 night cruise, 2 days Daytona in August 2007. I paid port charges (not astronomical - still cheaper than if you book separately) . Daytona hotel was not revealed yet...but I don't expect a 5-star accomodations with the package price. So far, I haven't had any problems with them for me to conclude that it is a scam. I hope not. I will tell you more after our trip.
It would be an interesting report.

After you are done, could you please prepare and post a report which gives the actual name of each hotel you stayed at, the ship for the cruise, and any other specific information.

In addition, could you give actual mandatory charges, such as the cost for the package, port charges, resort fees, parking fees (at the hotels or dock) or any other fees associated with the package thay you were required to pay.

Also, if any time share or other promos were required how much time had to be spent with them.

They sent me a booklet from Royal Carribean Sovereign of the Seas, interior state room, including the stickers for the luggages and the Bahamas Embarkation Cards.

Once we are done with this, I'll post every charges, and we'll compare if it is better that the other vacation offers.

Noticed that the previous posts were from the ones who have not purchased their package. Anybody who have really bought it and have complaints???
I think that the 12 BBB complaints in 12 months that Seahunt cited speaks volumes. I would proceed cautiously and would definitely have a backup plan in the event that things do not go as promised. Please post a follow-up trip report here when you get back. It would be interesting to see how well it works out for you.

There is also a universal scam going on through the regular mail. I threw mine away, but it comes in like a important looking envelope.

I purchased their package. Got the dates I wanted(called them 4 months in advance). I am using the 3 days orlando, 3 night cruise, 2 days Daytona in August 2007. I paid port charges (not astronomical - still cheaper than if you book separately) . Daytona hotel was not revealed yet...but I don't expect a 5-star accomodationb with the package price. So far, I haven't had any problems with them for me to conclude that it is a scam. I hope not. I will tell you more after our trip.

I understand that you are giving positive feedback with this company, however....

Your post count is 3 and all 3 posts are in this thread. Why would someone come to such a great message board and have their first 3 posts be in a "Is this a scam" thread. Seems a little fishy... Its not that i believe that you want to get anyone into any trouble... but common sense sort of tells you that you cant go that many places for that cheap and not get suckered into paying something additional somewhere down the line. Someones having to pay for it-- nothings free. If you typically have to wonder if its a scam-- it probobly is. If it looks like a duck....

OP- I wouldnt do it. I see you have a good backbone and didnt choose to do it either. Good for you:thumbsup2 -- I also agree that the reports to the BBB speaks a lot about the company. Im glad though that you thought to seek that information out on your own. Very smart. Its a good thing because a lot of ppl get suckered into things and dont really underestand whats happened until its too late. Good luck to you in your future travels!

I always toss those offers into the garbage. I don't like being scammed. So, to the OP: Good decision.

To the one that actually booked with such an offer: Good Luck! I'm very interested in reading your trip report when you return. probably

Reading the boards while - :laundy:

I understand that you are giving positive feedback with this company, however....

Your post count is 3 and all 3 posts are in this thread. Why would someone come to such a great message board and have their first 3 posts be in a "Is this a scam" thread. Seems a little fishy... Its not that i believe that you want to get anyone into any trouble... but common sense sort of tells you that you cant go that many places for that cheap and not get suckered into paying something additional somewhere down the line. Someones having to pay for it-- nothings free. If you typically have to wonder if its a scam-- it probobly is. If it looks like a duck....

OP- I wouldnt do it. I see you have a good backbone and didnt choose to do it either. Good for you:thumbsup2 -- I also agree that the reports to the BBB speaks a lot about the company. Im glad though that you thought to seek that information out on your own. Very smart. Its a good thing because a lot of ppl get suckered into things and dont really underestand whats happened until its too late. Good luck to you in your future travels!

I was actually a member of savingadvice forum. Someone from there with username "Disneysteve" was so helpful to refer me to this forum. I searched "Worldgate" because this is the hotel that was offered by my travel agency named Coral Beach Tours, and found this thread. I feel so bad coming in here telling everybody my experience and somebody accused me that what I did is FISHY. Would it matter if I only had 3 posts?

I came to seek for help, hoping I was not scammed. If I was, then it is a big problem....MY PROBLEM. Won't it help the board too, if after the trip I come back with a trip review, then you decide if it is a scam or not. Actually, I am very nervous right now because everybody is saying that it is indeed a scam. That's the reason why I am looking for somebody who did it and maybe tell me..."hey, you better be cautious because I did what you did and I don't want the same bad thing happen to you.."

Well, I don't blame you to be suspicious of those "too-good-to-be-true" offers. The fact that you suspected me to be doing something FISHY with a proof of "only 3 posts in this great thread", shows your judgemental attitude.

...was the one who worked with me after I purchased the travel package from Florida Travel Bureau last year. Here are my payments (so far)..

$ 498 - purchase of package for 2 persons from FTB
$ 186/person - port and service fees (Cruise)
$ 50/person - peak season fee (August)(Cruise)
$ 129/kid - port and service fees (Cruise)
* the inside stateroom was assigned to us
The package includes:
-3 night Royal Caribbean Lines (Sovereign of the Seas-in my case) Bahamas Cruise
-3 days 2 nights hotel accomodations in Daytona or Cocoa beach
-4 days/3 nights hotel accommodations in Orlando (Raddison Worldgate-in my case)
-7 days/6 nights hotel accommodations in Puerto Vallarta
- 3 days/2 nights hotel accommodation in your choice of 20 destinations (a list of hotels was given)

So, guys...what do you think? If you think I was really scammed, don't hesitate to tell me...and I would call them right away before August 8, 2007.

I would also inquire about whether or not you will be charged for hotel taxes/resort fees or any booking fees for the hotels. This company called me a few months ago and tried to sell me a very similar holiday (except it was discovery cruise instead of RCL) and I remember asking them whether or not we would be charged extra fees for the hotel portion of the stay. I am not 100% sure but I think that the person I spoke to mentioned extra fees having to do with the hotel portion.

I lost interest quickly when the person mentioned the discovery cruise line. I would have paid more attention if RCL was mentioned.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Wow, those port charges are pretty high for a 3 night cruise. Infact many times you can book a cruise out of Port Canaveral on RCL or CCL for under $200. I tend to think your pretty much just short of paying for the cruise.

Wow, those port charges are pretty high for a 3 night cruise. Infact many times you can book a cruise out of Port Canaveral on RCL or CCL for under $200. I tend to think your pretty much just short of paying for the cruise.

I searched high and low...the lowest quote for summer (August 1st/2nd week) was $349. Of course, there were <$200 during off-peak times, but I don't desire those. Maybe I missed the times when RCL,CCL,vacations to go, etc.,offered those < $200/person fare DURING peak season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter