• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Husband is a picky eater....

Certainly he could get fries every night, I'm pretty sure they came with most of the kids' meal options. Also wanted to add that burgers are not on the kids' menu every night but you can get around that. My 8yo assumed they were, and ordered one without looking at the menu. Our server looked kind of confused, and said it would take a few extra minutes b/c he'd have to get it from a different kitchen. But he did it. They are slightly small, so if your DH does that - he'd want to order more than 1. I think you could avoid that confusion by just being upfront about it with the server so he expects it the next night, maybe? The delay wasn't an issue for us b/c they usually rush out the kids' meals anyway, so it just ended up less-early if that makes sense.

I think the schnitzel might be a good thing to encourage him to order, without the sauce. That's just breaded and fried meat, really.

A cruise might be a good time to encourage him to be brave and try something new in addition to something he knows he'll enjoy, since there's no limit on how much food you order and it won't cost extra. Maybe order a "safe" entree for him, whatever entree you want, and then a third that you think he'd like, just to try, and if he doesn't like it, no big deal. Just a thought!

Wow...with all due respect friends, I am ok with people helping out and giving their opinions on how something could be dealt with in a constructive manner, but seriously....attacking my husband's character because YOU couldn't handle one of the few "irritating" habits that he has??? I don't remember asking for that. I have been a member of the DISboards for a long time and I have often seen unkind comments and I always try to put a positive spin on things. I am more than a little disappointed in some of the replies I have gotten. Maybe some of you would just "ignore him" or "leave him behind" but that is the joy of him NOT being your husband of 16 years. Thanks again to those who actually gave me a reply I can do something with instead of criticizing my husband, which is my place and not yours.

It's a public message board. You don't really get to choose how people reply. I hope your husband is able to find food without making you miserable the whole trip.

A cruise might be a good time to encourage him to be brave and try something new in addition to something he knows he'll enjoy, since there's no limit on how much food you order and it won't cost extra. Maybe order a "safe" entree for him, whatever entree you want, and then a third that you think he'd like, just to try, and if he doesn't like it, no big deal. Just a thought!

Yes, that would be my suggestion as well. Order a few items for him to try outside of his "routine" items. I find that it's less of a risk to try something new when it is "included".

Last edited:
I travel with a picky (vegetarian) eater, hence pizza on deck after dinner because they didn't like the MDR food! I do think Disney are guilty of making food sound fancier than it is - but I know it puts me off a lot of the descriptions!

Yes, that is his problem. And I think, because I have tried so hard for so long to get him to be adventurous with food, he often thinks my descriptions are something that is meant to trick him into trying something new. LOL It is one of the few things about him that drive me nuts, but he is a wonderful husband and that is not something I let ruin anything for me. I just roll my eyes. ;)

Have you thought about just refusing to engage in conversations about food with him? He's a grownup, so if it were me, I'd just not even talk about it. He can order his own food, and if he starts a complaint, I'd just refuse to respond other than to say, "Why don't you talk to the waiter about your order," or something like that. After one time of that, my response would be, "Let's talk about something other than food." I figure it's his issue, so he should deal with it and not bring you down. After one or two "I don't want to talk about it," I would honestly leave the table rather than sit there and listen to complaints. He's a grown man. You are not responsible for his dietary preferences.

All that being said, there's no reason they won't be able to handle finding him simple food. All he has to do is ask for what he wants. If he really doesn't think there will be something he would like, perhaps he could eat on deck in the late afternoon and have something he enjoys, and then just come to the dining room to have a beer and enjoy everyone's company. There are many ways for him to satisfy his needs. Don't worry!

Genius! You must be a therapist or a teacher...or someone really into psychology. :worship:

I think this is great advice. Just a different approach if the others don't work. GBBTomorrow is really just saying to let him figure it out on his own. Maybe he doesn't like the loss of control when it comes to the food options, so that's what bothers him. Letting him take control of ordering exactly what he wants might make him enjoy dining in the MDR more.

It's a public message board. You don't really get to choose how people reply. I hope your husband is able to find food without making you miserable the whole trip.
While that might be very true, and sure, I could "blame myself" for opening myself up to this....can someone please tell me where the joy comes for them in making unnecessary character judgments on my husband or how exactly that serves to be helpful in a forum where I am seeking constructive assistance?? I see this ALL the time on this site and I have to wonder why people can't reserve their judgments to simply answering with helpful suggestions. Until today, I have never made an angry or judgmental post on any forum because I try to help people. I guess I just wish other people could do the same instead of feeling like this is the place for them to judge those they know nothing about.

While that might be very true, and sure, I could "blame myself" for opening myself up to this....can someone please tell me where the joy comes for them in making unnecessary character judgments on my husband or how exactly that serves to be helpful in a forum where I am seeking constructive assistance?? I see this ALL the time on this site and I have to wonder why people can't reserve their judgments to simply answering with helpful suggestions. Until today, I have never made an angry or judgmental post on any forum because I try to help people. I guess I just wish other people could do the same instead of feeling like this is the place for them to judge those they know nothing about.
I agree with you, I wish people would be nicer to each other on here. I thought we were all suppose to be friends. :grouphug:

Concerning your husband's problems with food, my 2¢ is the MDRs have a wide variety of items on their menus, and you should just let him deal with it himself like a grownup. He's your husband, not your child. Stop enabling him. I'm sure he won't starve to death.

Enjoy your cruise!

MUN

Yes, that is his problem. And I think, because I have tried so hard for so long to get him to be adventurous with food, he often thinks my descriptions are something that is meant to trick him into trying something new. LOL It is one of the few things about him that drive me nuts, but he is a wonderful husband and that is not something I let ruin anything for me. I just roll my eyes. ;)

I understand. I have family members that I love and that are absolutely wonderful people but they are VERY resistant to change or anything that is out of their habits... :)

We aren't picky eaters, just have a few limitations. I spoke with the Head Server the first night (albeit I did go over to the disney cruise line blog before we left, to the menus section to get ideas of menus). I told him our preferences and yes they were quite accommodating. We did find a few things before we went on the menus from the other blog site and yes if they can they will get it, if possible - meaning that they share kitchens and if that menu from AP has what you like but you are in another MDR they may get you that item, as long as it is standard menu. This was way back when and since then I still tell head server of limitations and we always ate well. Remember there is Room Service (standard menu you can find on that other site) and Cabanas too (usually a combo of MDR service at diner).

I would look at menus for sure and have him look too, so he isn't surprised.
Have a great cruise!

I agree with making a list and giving it to the servers and see what the closest they can do to accomodate him. They have always gone out of their way to accomodate us(our extended family has various food alllergies, intolerances, pickiness etc). Also the Mickey bars are great, and having to pay for them at DL its nice to get them for "free"(just ignore the thousands of dollars you paid for the cruise )

I'm an extremely "picky eater" myself--worse than your husband. I have Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder so it really upsets me when people attack and act like because I'm an adult, I should be able to eat anything. Sometimes there are things beyond a persons control that make them the way that they are. I share the same concerns with a cruise about there not being anything for me to eat, but I've been told I could just order from the kids menu so I'm hoping that's the case and I can have all the mac n cheese, chicken fingers and pasta that I want!

There is an area set up the first day ( usually one of the restaurants) that you can go and request any special requests. It will be listed in the Navigator.
Disney is great with special requests and wants you to be happy with the food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter