• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help for leg cast / getting up and down?

Golf4food

Male pirate last time I checked. Yep. Still male.
I am at a loss and hoping some kind DISers will be able to offer some advise:

My wife just had major knee surgery a couple of weeks ago and is now in a hard leg cast from mid-thigh down to her toes and will be in it until early September. Once we can get her standing she can move around enough with the walker that she could be home alone. The problem is this:

How does she get her leg from the ground to the couch when she is by herself, or from the couch to the ground?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I have searched dozens of websites and I can't find any advise ANYWHERE of how a person is supposed to be able to lift their own leg and get it up onto the couch by themselves and back off again. She can sit herself down and she can stand herself up from the edge of the couch, but she can't pick her leg up to swing it over to lean back into a comfortable position.

We've tried using the dog leash, a belt, etc. but she can't get enough leverage to pull it up and swing herself around without feeling like she is going to fall off of the couch. If she pulls it up high enough, she can't swing it over. If she tries to swing over, she can't pull it up high enough.

She is getting very frustrated (as am I and her parents, whom we are living with during her early recovery) because we can't seem to figure this out. All of the websites have plenty of advise for how to take a shower, how to walk, how to be comfortable when sitting, but no advise for how to get up and down. I'm shocked.

So please, if anyone has any suggestions that would help her get up and down when she is home alone, PLEASE post them or private message us.

What we need is a fairy godmother with a magic wand! :wizard:

call a medical rental company and rent a lift chair.. and from the bed they can add a trapeze bar so she can pull up .. Good luck ..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter