• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help for dad recently diagnosed with cancer

The3Ds

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

About a 1 1/2 months ago, my dad went to the hospital with (what he thought was) a stomach bug, which turned out to be Stage 4 melanoma that had spread to his brain/lung (he's only 62). As of now, he has undergone 10 rounds of radiation, one round of immunotherapy, and they are currently weaning him off of steroids in order to complete a 2nd round of immunotherapy after Christmas.

So I guess my questions are...

1. Due to radiation and other medications, he is sometimes incredibly exhausted. We think that we will definitely need to rent a wheelchair or scooter for the park (we are staying at Fort Wilderness and were able to secure a golf cart rental to go to and from our campsite to the boat launch), I'm wondering if anyone can chime in as to how stressful/challenging it is to maneuver in heavy crowds in the parks (we will be at Magic Kingdom on the 27th). Obviously we will see what he wants to do, but I welcome input or suggestions.

2. If he feels the need to just find a quiet spot to rest for maybe 30 minutes or so, would he be able to find a spot in a First Aid Center to use? He is determined to go on this trip because he promised my 5 year old that he would (and he has seriously been looking forward to it), I just worry that if he is tired it will be such a hassle for him to get to the front of the park, to the boat, to the golf cart, to the camp site...trying to see if there is an alternative that would leave him feeling refreshed without the hassle.

3. We welcome any insight you all may have. Thank you so much!

I believe a wheelchair will be necessary if you do not feel he is strong enough to manage the scooter on his own. ECVs do not have breaks so you have to be quick enough to stop by decreasing the gas and letting go of the handle, I believe. My mother is traveling to WDW with us first week of May. This past May she had a severe cervical spinal cord compression that we fortunately had surgically corrected. We are so blessed she survived this medical problem and wasn't paralyzed while waiting to have surgery. She still suffers from an unsteady gait and no real strength in her hands. She is able to walk with a cane for a bit but does not have endurance and I do not think she can manage an ECV safely. Therefore, we are taking her cane, walker and wheelchair. My husband and I are both medical people and my Dad is very healthy for his age. The three of use will take turns pushing her. I just can't have a crowd shift knocking her down. I want her to see and do everything she wants and I think we will be able to let her be independent in stores a bit but not out in the street and never unattended. I have told her this HAS TO BE A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRIP.

We are DVC members and have been able to treat my parents and my MIL to several trips each. So they have been several times. A couple of trips ago my Dad used a scooter due to his back acting up. He had full control of the scooter though so that wasn't a problem. When my FIL was going through his treatment he went on a scooter which provided him independence and allowed him to travel a bit off from us on his own. I explained to my MIL that he needed that for this trip and that a WC would not allow him that experience. She needed to enjoy the time with him too. My Hubby and BIL guarded him like Secret Service that trip which really made a special and very memorable/fun trip. Both are big guys with dark sunglasses standing continuously on either side of him in that scooter.

When he tired they went back to the room, they would stop and enjoy a treat in the shade or air conditioning. We never went to a First Aid Center so I do not know how large the area is. But there are many areas to rest around WDW. The Carousel of Progress, Mickey's Philarmagic, the TTA. Ultimately he will let you know how he is feeling and I am sure you will recognize those cues. It will just be a different kind of trip. I think the train will be down at MK which we have used to skirt around to the back of the park and avoid crowds. Do not forget about the Friendship boats which can easily get you from one side of Epcot to the other. When he is tired just accompany him back to the resort and let another family member go with your 5 year old to finish riding and seeing attractions. That will give your Dad time to rest in quiet.

It sounds like you have tried to make his transport back and forth as easy as possible. I assure you it would be like that at any resort. No resort is without issues when trying to manage transportation.

FPs are a great use of time. Just let your Dad and 5 year old go at their own pace and have fun. Please let us know how you do. I would love to hear your insight into your trip when you get back and I am sure it will help with mine.

Hi everyone,

About a 1 1/2 months ago, my dad went to the hospital with (what he thought was) a stomach bug, which turned out to be Stage 4 melanoma that had spread to his brain/lung (he's only 62). As of now, he has undergone 10 rounds of radiation, one round of immunotherapy, and they are currently weaning him off of steroids in order to complete a 2nd round of immunotherapy after Christmas.

1. Due to radiation and other medications, he is sometimes incredibly exhausted. We think that we will definitely need to rent a wheelchair or scooter for the park (we are staying at Fort Wilderness and were able to secure a golf cart rental to go to and from our campsite to the boat launch), I'm wondering if anyone can chime in as to how stressful/challenging it is to maneuver in heavy crowds in the parks (we will be at Magic Kingdom on the 27th). Obviously we will see what he wants to do, but I welcome input or suggestions.

2. If he feels the need to just find a quiet spot to rest for maybe 30 minutes or so, would he be able to find a spot in a First Aid Center to use? He is determined to go on this trip because he promised my 5 year old that he would (and he has seriously been looking forward to it), I just worry that if he is tired it will be such a hassle for him to get to the front of the park, to the boat, to the golf cart, to the camp site...trying to see if there is an alternative that would leave him feeling refreshed without the hassle.

1 I would rent a wheel chair with the crowds an ECV might be too much for him since other guest to not see ECV or wheel chair you really have to be watching all the time.

2 yes you can use first aid to rest. But he may find his Hotel room more comfortable

I would do rides that he can stay in his wheel chair show he can stay in his wheel chair and things he would have to transfer from ( like to one he mush transfer one thing he can stay setted) so he dose not get tired

I also agree about a manual wheelchair instead of an ECV. Driving an ECV can be tiring; if he's already prone to exhaustion using an ECV may actually further limit his capabilities and time in the park. I'd even recommend a manual wheelchair rental from offsite so he has it to use to/from the parks/transportation. I'd think you can fold it to use on the golf cart but getting from the wheelchair rental (inside MK) to transportation and then waiting can be a bit of time for him on his feet. An ECV rental in-park that week will mean arriving very early and one may not be available if you take a break mid-day. In-park wheelchair rentals do not typically sell out.

Here is a link to the WDW Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities. Don't let the title turn you off, it has some good information about potential quiet areas in each park. Yes, he may utilize First Aid as well. Just be aware that you plan to be in the parks during the most busy time of the year, so "quiet" is relative and even First Aid may be too busy to be a peaceful resting escape. Getting back to your camp site is likely his best option unless he only needs a short break.

And, I trust his medical team has approved this trip. I'm concerned he has a very compromised immune system and it's winter/cold season at the absolute most crowded time of year at WDW.

Enjoy your vacation and make some wonderful memories with your child and dad!

Hi everyone,

No help here, but your Dad will be in my prayers. Melanoma has touched this family also, and it seems to rear its head when you don't expect it.

Will you be using the buses at all? If so, definitely make sure the ecv/wheel chair will be available to take out of the parks so he will be guaranteed a place to sit on the bus. And I agree, a chair will be much easier for him than an ecv

I agree than a manual wheelchair is best in this situation. If he feels he needs to rest, it will be a lot of effort to get to first aid if you're across a crowded park. Even if your party then returns after 30 minutes of rest, he'd then have to navigate to the next location. It could take a long time to accomplish that. With a manual wheelchair, once someone feels that they need to rest, someone else is largely in control of moving them through the crowds.

I've debated about posting on this thread since last night as I don't want to sound negative. But, I've decided to add my two cents, for what it's worth. The 27th at MK is going to be one of the busiest days of the year, with 10 out of 10 crowds. It's going to be stressful and tiring just being there.

Have you considered just having your dad stay at the Fort while you take your son to MK? There is so much that your father and son can do at the Fort to enjoy time together at Disney in a less stressful way. Even just riding the golf cart around all the loops, after dark, to enjoy all the amazing displays people put up there. Of course there are movies, horseback rides, and always Chip & Dale's campfire to attend there as well. Here is a December activity schedule.

And, I trust his medical team has approved this trip. I'm concerned he has a very compromised immune system and it's winter/cold season at the absolute most crowded time of year at WDW.

Enjoy your vacation and make some wonderful memories with your child and dad!

I would be very concerned about this as well. We live not far from WDW and right now there is a hardcore flu going around. Both my daughter and SIL have it and are running fevers of 103. I have never seen my daughter so sick. She works for a large construction company and half of them are down and out with this. Nothing the doctors could do other then give them fluids. I have the grandchildren, who are thankfully well, to keep them away from the germs.

Actually, if you have a car I would strongly suggest getting a temporary handicap placard that you can use. His doctor has to sign a form and then you get it at the DMV. You might already have this for him. Use it.

Next, I would use your car to get to the parks if you have one. This will be best for your dad. This will protect him in more ways than one and it will be easier for you, too.

I go along with the wheelchair. I really believe a scooter will be too hard at this point in time.

There are portable travel wheelchairs that you can buy for under $150. They fold up and can fit in most average size car trunks. You can get one that weighs around 15 pounds. This will service you at the parks and resort. If you are flying there then the wheelchair doesn't count against your luggage. If you rent one get a lightweight one. This can vary a lot.

We found it better to alternate shows, parades, fireworks and so forth with attractions. That way the pusher gets a rest, here and there.

Do not over do. Maybe, take a mid day break.

If you use the golf cart you will need a way to secure the wheelchair to it. You may need some bungee cords or the like.

There are some rides were you can take the wheelchair on the ride. Other rides you will have to transfer. Become familiar with how it is. There are posts explaining this very well.

I am 70. I am a cancer survivor!

Please don't treat Dad as if he will break - & please, don't treat him as if he does not have a brain!!!

Dad WILL be tired. He might need a morning to sleep in later. He might need an ECV to get around. Ask Dad what he wants - a manual wheelchair, or an ECV. With the ECV, he will feel more independent. I don't know what I would do without mine!

Please include Dad in all decisions. He will be very thankful that his family values him & that all of you care about him.

Thanks for caring so much about your Dad!

I am 70. I am a cancer survivor!

Please don't treat Dad as if he will break - & please, don't treat him as if he does not have a brain!!!

Dad WILL be tired. He might need a morning to sleep in later. He might need an ECV to get around. Ask Dad what he wants - a manual wheelchair, or an ECV. With the ECV, he will feel more independent. I don't know what I would do without mine!

Please include Dad in all decisions. He will be very thankful that his family values him & that all of you care about him.

Thanks for caring so much about your Dad!
great advice for any one that loves someone with a disability ( temporary or perminet ) I think as along as they can make design them self they should be able to. get some ideas form others on what worked for them and then share the ideas with your dad and see what he think and what he thinks he needs. and them take his lead on what he needs if your dad looks/ act tired say something like dad you look tired would you like to rest or maybe we can watch a show, but I think letting him decide what he would like is a great idea but giving him a few suggestion would be nice too. ( I hope that made since, I know for me when I am tired and over sensory I have a hard time with what I need, but my friend will see this and give me ideas on what I can do)

I agree with above poster. We had a trip in the middle of my dad's cancer treatment and it was so important to listen to what he needed. My dad was 52 and never sick a day in his life before he was diagnosed. He felt so out of control with the diagnosis and treatment that him having some with regards to his trip was important. Yes, it had to be a different kind of trip that the ones we were used to, but it was still a great one. He was very tired due to his treatment but was too stubborn to get wheelchair or scooter. We have never been a part of rope drop crowd. We would get to parks late morning and he would head back to hotel around dinner time. This still gave him time to see and do most of his favorites and spend some important quality time with family. Just remember to listen to what he wants/needs. I'm sure you will have a great trip.

Hoping the trip is magical and very best wishes to ur dad OP!
Here's to making some Amazing Family Memories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter