• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help - British buyer

dotdot35

Earning My Ears
Hi, I have been reading the threads and thank you to everyone who has posted information, it is making the whole thing so much clearer. I am thinking of buying however I live in the UK and am wondering if it will be worthwhile. I already have a week at Orange Lake and am wondering if I should just buy another week there and stay with RCI or buy DVC. I could afford 250 points but to make a Florida trip worthwhile I could only go every other year and I don't believe I would always choose Florida anyway. However I would take advantage of the Interval exchanges, are these easy to get hold of. I love Disney, my husband and I (no kids) have been 4 times in our ten year marriage which is why I am drawn to DVC. I am also planning to take my nephews and their parents in 18 months and want it to be really special. I suppose I am asking will it be flexible enough to warrant the expenditure?

Hi Dotdot and welcome to the DIS!

We have a UK DVC Board and I am moving your post over there as I believe you will receive more applicable answers from those folks. Feel free to post on all our DVC boards, however, here on the DIS! Enjoy!

We are in the UK and bought 320 points (the idea was 160 points for a European one week one bed property so x 2).

The annual fees are quite high about £600 so if you're only going every other year you'll have paid £1200 out in fees before you've been anywhere. But on the other hand it is quite nice to have the points to spend or bank and we end up staying in places we couldn't normally afford and if you can go out of school holidays it is even better.

hope this helps.

We have 230 points which we find sufficient to go every 3 years for 2-weeks in a 2-bed, using the bank / use / borrow cycle, and either paying cash for the weekend (Fri + Sat) or bugging out to Universal for FOTL.

:cheer2:

Hi DotDot

We own RCI ( sheraton Vistana) and I must admit we envy our firends who own DVC but RCI works very well for us, it was alot cheaper and the accommodation is bigger with options to stay just about anywhere in the world, I would suggest buying resale as it is very much cheaper than direct fromthe resorts.

Hope that helps

Tony

Don't forget that, under current US tax legislation, when/if you sell you will have to pay tax.

So far as exchanges are concerned, in my very limited experience of exchanging our points for a ranch holiday, the points requirement goes up year on year. We would not now have sufficient points for a reasonable ranch holiday.

Thanks for your help folks. We have decided to go for it and will be purchasing very soon. I am very excited more than a grown adult should be!

Congratulations on your decision :thumbsup2 I spent some pool time last year with a lady who owned at both Orange Lake like you, and DVC and was happy with both of her purchases :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter