Hello Kitty and their key demographic

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
Obviously it goes without saying that this is not intended to be offensive or generalizing or any of that, it's just a pondering I had after listening to the show this morning.

So on the Universal show about Lucy a tribute going away and being replaced by a Hello Kitty store, the guys mentioned that perhaps they're trying to tap into the Asian tourist market, and it got me thinking about something my husband and I noticed while touring universal orlando and WDW.
Being from Australia, we get A LOT of Asian tourists here, the area in australia that has the theme parks in Queensland and it's very Asian tourist heavy.
Melbourne also has a lot of Asian Tourists and I'm assuming sydney does too (never been a tourist in sydney, only been there for work) and on my recent trip to Bali (which in Australia is renowned for being filled with Aussie tourists) I found there to also be a lot of Asian tourists.

Based on all of the above (not the bali part as I literally only did that last week) I was expecting there to be a high percentage of Asian tourists in the parks in orlando, but it was the complete opposite. I found it was mostly local (American) tourists and their families, and pardon my ignorance, but a lot of people who spoke Spanish (South American people perhaps?)
Because of the tourism market here in Australia, friends and family asked if there were a lot of Asian tourists and as I mentioned, I was surprised to say no.
Is that usual in orlando? I guess it makes sense that most Asian (and australian) tourists stick to Anaheim because for us, LAX is the main entry point to the states for us, so it's easier to stick to the west coast for the disney fix. It's another 6 or so hours from LAX to MCO, so I can't imagine many people are doing that when disney in Cali is so much easier.

For us it was a no brainer, and we were hitting the main tourist points of NYC and Las Vegas but we also were going to New Orleans, so being down there also made the choice easier.

Also, I guess there's Hong Kong and Tokyo Disney for the Asian markets.

Do you think all of those factors have the impact that pete was talking about on the parks? Surely there's enough draw at WDW and UOR for all nationalities?

I get what you are saying. Honestly I think Universal is going after the Tween Girl market. When I was in jr high, and to this day, girls LOVED the Sanrio store. I live in California and girls still flock to that store. I won't lie. I still love the characters, and I hope Universal does more with the Hello Kitty franchise. I am sure trying for the Asian tourist is part, but something for tween girls to spend their money on is another.

Oh yeah, that hadn't occured to me.
I can't stand hello kitty, though I wasn't aware that it was a TV show or anything. I just thought it was some ugly looking cat thing that seems to be incredibly popular with the Asian market.

In the UK, alot of Goth/Emo Girls are really into HK, the shop in a Mall round my way is very popular.

On hearing this news I did wonder if this coming to USF had anything to do with the HK based store in Celebration closing!?

The other thing about Hello Kitty is that she is already a park icon of Universal Studios Osaka. Its hard to overstate how much of a symbol of that park she is (along with Snoopy...)

So there is a pre-existing relationship with the company and access to character costumes, shows, theme park merchandise, etc.

Not just tween girls. I know some adult women who still love Hello Kitty. (mostly for nostalgia) But yes there is a female market.

It is one of those characters. I personally liked it when I was 12.

just to add, my daughter is 6 and I don't think has ever seen a Hello Kitty show ... but still really likes her and has several stuffed Hello Kitties so i can definitely see her liking a Hello Kitty area much more than Lucy

In the UK, alot of Goth/Emo Girls are really into HK, the shop in a Mall round my way is very popular.

HMM, interesting to me that Goth/emo girls are into it. Do they like it in an "ironic" way or is Hello Kitty supposed to be so over the top cute and sweet in an ironic way? See, I personally never understood Hello Kitty. A store opened up at the mall when I was young...EONS ago (by eons, I mean some time in the mid 80's? I'm fuzzy on the exact year) It was pastels and acrylics and lots of bizarre, little, way-to-sweet-to-be-taken seriously looking creatures that I had no frame of reference for and pencils and stickers and other do-dads and for some reason I remember lots of candy - pretty candies in pinks and other pastels that fit right in to the why-is-everything-so-cute, something's not quite right, twilight-zone, bizarro-world that was disappointingly terrible tasting. If I haven't made it clear - I wasn't a fan because it just didn't sit well with me, even as a little girl. But I was into the Smurfs and Garfield, so...different strokes and all that.

The store went away and for a long time I assumed I imagined that store, but then Hello Kitty popped back up and I was like "hey, there really was a store that had that strange little white cat!" Does Hello Kitty even have a back story? Maybe that has been my problem with it...

Personal feelings aside, it will be very popular with lots of people. I would have liked to have seen the Lucy Museum, but alas, that's not to be. sigh

HMM, interesting to me that Goth/emo girls are into it. Do they like it in an "ironic" way or is Hello Kitty supposed to be so over the top cute and sweet in an ironic way? See, I personally never understood Hello Kitty. A store opened up at the mall when I was young...EONS ago (by eons, I mean some time in the mid 80's? I'm fuzzy on the exact year) It was pastels and acrylics and lots of bizarre, little, way-to-sweet-to-be-taken seriously looking creatures that I had no frame of reference for and pencils and stickers and other do-dads and for some reason I remember lots of candy - pretty candies in pinks and other pastels that fit right in to the why-is-everything-so-cute, something's not quite right, twilight-zone, bizarro-world that was disappointingly terrible tasting. If I haven't made it clear - I wasn't a fan because it just didn't sit well with me, even as a little girl. But I was into the Smurfs and Garfield, so...different strokes and all that.

The store went away and for a long time I assumed I imagined that store, but then Hello Kitty popped back up and I was like "hey, there really was a store that had that strange little white cat!" Does Hello Kitty even have a back story? Maybe that has been my problem with it...

Personal feelings aside, it will be very popular with lots of people. I would have liked to have seen the Lucy Museum, but alas, that's not to be. sigh
Hello Kitty has a dark side thanks to Hot Topic and other stores like that. I'm not sure what the complete goth appeal is, but one of my friends who is "former goth"/raver kid who loves Hello Kitty. I am one who loved the cute factor. If it wasn't so pricey, i would still buy some pens from there. I think you have a cute factor and the dark version that has been marketed for the past 5-7 years.

I think ultimately HK is all about the female market. Despicable me is definitely for boys and girls without a doubt however there is very little in US that targets the 'Disney princesses.' I think that's what it's about - the stereotypical female fans. My DD (6) I'm sure will enjoy this store, but for me it just doesn't seem that exciting.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter