• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hello first time cruiser, just booked!

sock2you

Mouseketeer
So excited we just booked our first ever cruise for May 2025 on the Dream for a 4 night Bahamian cruise! I look forward to perusing the site to answer our myriad of questions and will try not to ask any question that has been asked before. All tips and tricks would be appreciated. So far the only thing I know is that we'll be leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale and will be visiting the new Lighthouse Point.

Our group is a big one with one teenager (14), two kiddos (11,9), 4 parents, 2 grandparents and a partridge in a pear tree with 3 (5A) verandah rooms next to each other towards the front of the ship. So lots of different age ranges to keep entertained but we're all big Disney lovers! It will be all our first time on a Disney Cruise and for most of our first time on any cruise. I know it's so far out but we're all so excited already.

Thanks for letting me ramble and nice to meet you all.

So excited we just booked our first ever cruise for May 2025 on the Dream for a 4 night Bahamian cruise! I look forward to perusing the site to answer our myriad of questions and will try not to ask any question that has been asked before. All tips and tricks would be appreciated. So far the only thing I know is that we'll be leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale and will be visiting the new Lighthouse Point.

Our group is a big one with one teenager (14), two kiddos (11,9), 4 parents, 2 grandparents and a partridge in a pear tree with 3 (5A) verandah rooms next to each other towards the front of the ship. So lots of different age ranges to keep entertained but we're all big Disney lovers! It will be all our first time on a Disney Cruise and for most of our first time on any cruise. I know it's so far out but we're all so excited already.

Thanks for letting me ramble and nice to meet you all.
Ask away!

Find and join the group for your specific cruise. You may or may not want to actively participate but still may learn a lot.

That sounds like so much fun! I love big family holidays ☺️

A few words of advice:
First, download the DCL app before you get on board. You will think (on land) that it doesn't do much. But once on the ship, it becomes your scheduler. All activities, dining, etc. are listed and there is a messaging app (fair warning, messages can be delayed).
Second, planning for a cruise is nothing like planning for WDW. Other than choosing a dining time and excursions, you don't have to do anything. Most activities are open and free to all.
Third, have your kids go to the relevant kids activities the first night to see if they like it. That's when friendships start forming.
Just relax and have fun.

We cruise with 3 generations as well. There really is something for everyone! I'll be on the Dream next month so let me know if you need me to check anything out for you. I echo everyone's advice . It is more addictive that I could have dreamed (no pun intended). Consider booking placeholder cruise while onboard it can save you some money if you decide to go again and you don't loose anything if you cancel. I also echo Travel60 about the kids/teens clubs. The first night is key, especially for your teen. Mine run over right after late dinner and come back very late.

Thanks for all the advice! Does Pirate Night happen on every cruise? When I downloaded the app it didn't say anything about a pirate night but I also read that it might not appear until closer to the cruise on the Navigator. Trying to find reviews for excursions in Nassau and what's worth the $ and time. I kind of want to just hang on the ship for most of the day but getting to explore Nassau would be fun too. Are the beaches worth it? Swimming with Dolphins? DD would love to swim with dolphins but not sure how much $$ that would cost. DH would never so if we could get away with just purchasing for her that wouldn't be too bad.

Pirate Night is scheduled on every Bahamas and Caribbean cruise (and on some, but not all, other cruises). The app doesn't list it in advance, but when booking open for you, you should be able to see which night Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is offering Pirate makeovers.

Make sure your reservations are linked so you can dine at one table. Which Restaurant each night is assigned (you eat in all three, repeating one to have the Pirate night menu. Each restaurant has its own menu.). If anyone has food allergies, DCL can work with you.

Be sure to have proper ID for everyone. Birth certificates with matching photo ID for all adults (as a minimum; passports are preferable if an emergency happens and you need to fly someone home). Don’t wait til the last minute to get a passport if you want one; processing time has been slow the last few years.

About 10 months ahead of cruise, start looking for hotels.

If you enjoy costumes, Pirate night is great for that. And any prince or princess outfits for meeting characters.

No beach towels needed. Disney provides those.

Find and join the group for your specific cruise. You may or may not want to actively participate but still may learn a lot.
I am not the OP, but I just booked my first cruise today as well! How do you find the group for your trip? TIA!

Thank you all! We have an appointment for passports in a couple weeks. Definitely don’t l want to chance not getting them in time. I had a friend who almost missed theirs because of the backup and not being able to get appointments for her kids to get theirs.

Since we’re doing the 4 night cruise that means we should have the pirate menu if I’m reading correctly from an above post.

How do I link the reservations?

I’ve looked for the cruise meet up page. Last time I checked one hadn’t been started yet and I’m too new to start one and I’m more of a lurker anyways. I’ll keep an eye out for it though.

Unfortunately most of the cruise meet up group pages aren't on this site. I hate that they have moved elsewhere because we don't use that site so we never have opportunity to participate.

Thank you all! We have an appointment for passports in a couple weeks. Definitely don’t l want to chance not getting them in time. I had a friend who almost missed theirs because of the backup and not being able to get appointments for her kids to get theirs.

Since we’re doing the 4 night cruise that means we should have the pirate menu if I’m reading correctly from an above post.

How do I link the reservations?

I’ve looked for the cruise meet up page. Last time I checked one hadn’t been started yet and I’m too new to start one and I’m more of a lurker anyways. I’ll keep an eye out for it thougYes, you should have the Pirate Menu. (It is usually served in the dining room you ate in the previous night).

How to link reservations.

You will need Confirmation/ Reservation #s for all the rooms.

This is using the website (I am on iPad). Should be similar on an app. Sign in to your Disney account in the cruiseline website.

Then click on “Already Booked.”

IMG_6893.jpeg

Use the dropdown arrow next to Reservation #

IMG_6894.jpeg

This option will be in next screen. Click it.

IMG_6895.jpeg

Fill in this section. Read the info.

IMG_6897.jpeg
Hope this helps.

If you went through a Travel Agent, they probably should do this (and you might not have the ability to do it yourself).

How to link reservations.

You will need Confirmation/ Reservation #s for all the rooms.

This is using the website (I am on iPad). Should be similar on an app. Sign in to your Disney account in the cruiseline website.

Then click on “Already Booked.”

View attachment 826580

Use the dropdown arrow next to Reservation #

View attachment 826581

This option will be in next screen. Click it.

View attachment 826582

Fill in this section. Read the info.

View attachment 826583
Hope this helps.

If you went through a Travel Agent, they probably should do this (and you might not have the ability to do it yourself).
Thank you so much!! I'll check with my travel agent to see if they can do it. We all booked through the same company but did it individually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter