Helicopter Noise

I think for most it's all about how things have changed...not that they don't have a right. If you have been going to Disney World for many years, you've seen it go from extremely rare flyovers even once during the entire stay, then 10 years ago maybe one a day at most, then 3 years ago maybe 3-4 flyovers in a day. The past year, it seems it's 15-20 times a day or more. Many might expect things to be like they were 5, or 10 years ago, and be a bit off-put by the sheer number of helicopters flying over. Visiting the Grand Canyon, or Venice can be similarly disappointing to those who've been there many times in the past - at the crowd levels which have expanded 10-fold over the last few decades...they all have the right to be there, and one should certainly expect tourists, but it can still be a little shocking to see just how many tourists pack in compared to the last few times you went. Same goes for the helicopters - one might expect one or two, but be a bit surprised to see 20 buzzing around every day.

I think for most it's all about how things have changed...not that they don't have a right. If you have been going to Disney World for many years, you've seen it go from extremely rare flyovers even once during the entire stay, then 10 years ago maybe one a day at most, then 3 years ago maybe 3-4 flyovers in a day. The past year, it seems it's 15-20 times a day or more. Many might expect things to be like they were 5, or 10 years ago, and be a bit off-put by the sheer number of helicopters flying over. Visiting the Grand Canyon, or Venice can be similarly disappointing to those who've been there many times in the past - at the crowd levels which have expanded 10-fold over the last few decades...they all have the right to be there, and one should certainly expect tourists, but it can still be a little shocking to see just how many tourists pack in compared to the last few times you went. Same goes for the helicopters - one might expect one or two, but be a bit surprised to see 20 buzzing around every day.
Well, I remember the banner tows right over the Magic Kingdom, and flying fairly low.

We have been at the boardwalk twice since September. Helicopters flying over the pool constantly on both trips. Looked like the same type of black helicopter flying over every time
Men in Black in Helicopters in Black. A lot of Aliens probably visit Disney out of Area 51.

Well, I remember the banner tows right over the Magic Kingdom, and flying fairly low.

That would never have "flown" in Anaheim (pardon the pun). Aircraft over DL are so rare, that on the odd occasion when a big C-130 is on approach to JTB Los Alamitos, it's cause for quite a bit of "eyes to the skies" interest as it's the only flight path that lines up over Disneyland. Even flights on approach to Long Beach dogleg around the no-fly zone. Law enforcement and air ambulance flights are exempt too, but they still don't do it as a habit.

As an aside, there were several YouTubers who flew over DLR during the shutdown, and those required approval from ATC:

Not sure if they were more accomodating during the shutdown, but you can hear the pilot ask three times to verify it was cool for him to enter the TFL.

That would never have "flown" in Anaheim (pardon the pun). Aircraft over DL are so rare, that on the odd occasion when a big C-130 is on approach to JTB Los Alamitos, it's cause for quite a bit of "eyes to the skies" interest as it's the only flight path that lines up over Disneyland. Even flights on approach to Long Beach dogleg around the no-fly zone. Law enforcement and air ambulance flights are exempt too, but they still don't do it as a habit.

As an aside, there were several YouTubers who flew over DLR during the shutdown, and those required approval from ATC:

Not sure if they were more accomodating during the shutdown, but you can hear the pilot ask three times to verify it was cool for him to enter the TFL.
Yeah, the banner towing stuff at WDW was several years back, well before the TFR.

The Waldorf has a helicopter pad. Saw it used a couple months ago. Dont know any other hotel in the Disney area has one.

We just got back on Sunday and this was my biggest complaint. I’ve never noticed helicopters before but every day, all day we heard them. We guessed it was tours but no idea why we’ve never noticed them before.

For a long time I thought Disney was closed air space , but quite a few years back
there was a boy hit by a Disney bus and there where news helicopters for about 3 days constant -
I just assumed the closed airspace thing wasn't true anymore -
Does Golden Oaks maybe have a helicopter pad on property ??

For a long time I thought Disney was closed air space , but quite a few years back
there was a boy hit by a Disney bus and there where news helicopters for about 3 days constant -
I just assumed the closed airspace thing wasn't true anymore -
Does Golden Oaks maybe have a helicopter pad on property ??
The flight restrictions over WDW encompass much of the property, but not all of it.
in addition, air traffic control can clear aircraft through the restricted airspace.

The flight restrictions over WDW encompass much of the property, but not all of it.
in addition, air traffic control can clear aircraft through the restricted airspace.
It’s also for airships flying under 3,000 feet. I think it encompasses a 3 mile radius of the MK, same goes for DL in CA too. Along with large stadiums in the USA, like football and baseball stadiums.

Stayed at the Riviera in late June and the tour helicopters were flying over for most of the day every 10 -15 minutes apart. They were flying directly over the resort and quite low as the no fly zone ends at the edge of the World Showcase. It was quite annoying and really hard to ignore at times. I was a bit upset as Riviera is my home resort and it looks like this is becoming the norm and will have to deal with the tour copters overhead. Not sure what Disney can do about it if anything. Perhaps if people really start complaining about this at the resorts that seem to be effected they can report them as a nuisance and have the travel paths changed.

We visited July 23-30 and the constant helicopter flying was a big change from our last visit in 2019. :-(

Stayed at the Riviera in late June and the tour helicopters were flying over for most of the day every 10 -15 minutes apart. They were flying directly over the resort and quite low as the no fly zone ends at the edge of the World Showcase.

Depending on how "low" they were flying, there may be an FAA complaint option open to you: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/
While helicopters are exempt from the 1000 foot minimum height over the building, they are still required to operate in a safe manner. Buzzing the roof tops of buildings isn't considered safe.

According to my husband, a pilot himself, the helicopters that fly over Disney are Disney approved. All others are restricted due to the TFR and would have to climb to 3000 feet.

Depending on how "low" they were flying, there may be an FAA complaint option open to you: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/
While helicopters are exempt from the 1000 foot minimum height over the building, they are still required to operate in a safe manner. Buzzing the roof tops of buildings isn't considered safe.
Interesting I will take a look at the link and then try to determine who this tour operator is and see if a compliant to the FAA can do anything. They must be a new tour operator as this was not happening in December of 2020 and from what it seems started in early 2021.

They were flying at around 300 feet in my estimate. So that would put them no more than 200 feet above the Riviera (estimating the Riviera to be around a 100 feet as it is 10 stories on the east side IIRC) They come in from the far corner of the east wing of the resort and over the lake and the edge of CBR. Hard to ignore if you are trying to enjoy the pool at the Riviera.

According to my husband, a pilot himself, the helicopters that fly over Disney are Disney approved. All others are restricted due to the TFR and would have to climb to 3000 feet.

As I understand it, Disney doesn't really have the power to approve or disapprove flights over that airspace. They don't own it. It's open and unrestricted aside from the usual regulations.

I'd imagine that Disney would love to have the no-fly zone hang over the entirety of their property if they could, but that's not something they have much control over, and it's not something the FAA would be thrilled about.

Now if you're speaking about the no-fly zone in place over most of the MK-area, then yes Disney could obtain waivers for an aircraft in that space if they had a reason to.

I’ll bet dollars to donuts they are compliant. Tour operators would not risk enforcement action and possible loss of certificate.

Parts of WDW are not within the TFR. Within the TFR it is ATC that gives approval, although that may originate from Disney.

The TFR (temporary flight restriction) area is just a 3 mile radius centered on the Contemporary tower. So it includes MK, but only the Future World area of Epcot. World Showcase, DHS, DAK, DS, etc are not in the restricted area.
From what I understand, it’s possible, and not too unusual to get an exception to fly through the TFR.
Disney’s political pressure is quite impressive keeping this temporary restriction ongoing.
the NFZ went into place about 3 hrs post 9-11 and has been in place ever since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter