• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Helicopter Noise

WDWFERN

Mouseketeer
Just returned from a wonderful multi resort split stay, resorts only trip. Over the course of 10 days we stayed at the Riviera, Saratoga Springs, and Boardwalk. We had a great time at each resort and spent time working (Zoom) and relaxing. I first have to say that we were above and beyond impressed with our DVC resorts and had a wonderful getaway and return to Disney for the first time in 2 years.

We were struck, however, with the extremely prevalent helicopters. I enjoyed working from the balcony, and multiple times had to return inside after the third round of a very loud helicopter flying by within a 30 minute period. Again while reading at the pool, the frequent helicopters were really noticeable and after a few days we felt somewhat intrusive.

We tend to be pretty easygoing travelers and usually don’t even notice the small stuff when we are immersed in the magic. But even my husband and kids asked what was going on with all the helicopters which we noticed frequently at all 3 resorts during our stay. I would understand several a day, but one every 10-15 minutes seems excessive. Has anyone else noticed this?

We saw and heard helicopters all day long too from Wed. 24th at Destino Tower until the time we left on late Monday. It was weird and distracting.

Disney also has helicopters that they are allowed to fly over the parks, for things like security, construction photos, lifting and placing ride tracks if necessary, and so forth.

I thought Disney was a no fly zone....what is going on?
The TFR (temporary flight restriction) area is just a 3 mile radius centered on the Contemporary tower. So it includes MK, but only the Future World area of Epcot. World Showcase, DHS, DAK, DS, etc are not in the restricted area.
From what I understand, it’s possible, and not too unusual to get an exception to fly through the TFR.
Disney’s political pressure is quite impressive keeping this temporary restriction ongoing.

We were there the week of 3/20-3/27. There were far more helicopters than I remember ever before. Must have been some pent up demand for those tours...

Orlando has a fairly active pool of news copters that fly in the area. My husband's company sent him there for training when he first started with them.

Of course now when we go to Disney, he hears a helicopter, looks up and can typically identify the type it is.

We have been at the boardwalk twice since September. Helicopters flying over the pool constantly on both trips. Looked like the same type of black helicopter flying over every time

We were there the week of 3/20-3/27. There were far more helicopters than I remember ever before. Must have been some pent up demand for those tours...
We ate at topolinos on the 21st for breakfast and were shocked to see so many!

I love helicopter & airplane noise.
Probably like if you live near a train track...you get used to it. I'm used to airplane noise. I grew up along the descent path to LAX, it was far enough out that it wasn't overpowering, but it was fun to sit on out on the back porch and identify the planes and airlines. Now I live a few miles from an auxiliary field for Randolph AFB, where they practice Touch N Go landings in fighter jets, and military choppers as well as medical air flights from our regional hospital into San Antonio are common.

Last edited:
OMG - The Helicopters were out of control this week. OKW bldg. 54
We were there for 10 days in June and the helicopters were very distracting. They fly the same path back & forth all day. We have been visiting Disney World for decades and this was a sad disruption to the usual peaceful disney resort (Carribean) experience we have enjoyed before. The crowds/lines in the parks are out of control and now going back to your resort is no longer a peaceful place. I hope Disney can bring back the pleasant vacation experience we once enjoyed. We miss it.

There are at least 5 tour operators that offer flyovers of Disney World...they may have existed for years now, but I feel like they've expanded quite a bit over the past few years, and I definitely see far more of them in the past few years. While there the first week of July, I definitely noticed far more than used to be common. Some are easily identifiable by their colors (Orlando Helitours are black and red, Viator is black and orange, and MaxFlight usually white). Those are the most common ones - especially the smaller black with orange or red two-tone from the first two tour operators.

It was awful in early May at the BoardWalk. Constant. Definitely tour helicopters. I guess they are trying to cram in as many flights as possible as they must have lost a boatload of money during the shutdown. The sound just reverberates when in the quiet pool area. We were at the Riviera in December and the noise wasn’t as bad....the pools not as closed in as the Boardwalk.

In all honesty, what would you expect? There is a no fly zone over much of WDW, but not all.
You visit one of the largest tourist attractions on the planet, yet don’t expect overhead watchers… not realistic.
I understand your plight, but also think it’s a mute point.
The helo operators also have rights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter