Height restrictions and measurement

Rodrigo

Epcot Mexico
Last August in Disneyland I saw that in the hub at the end of Main St, there was a stand where CM's were measuring children and giving them a color coded wristband, and the rides had a color code table so you know if your kid can ride or not.

Is it the same system in WDW?

My DS (3) is now 37" 1/4, and will be close to 38" in our next trip, and I dont wan't him to be "kicked out" in some rides.

Hi

When we visited in March our DS3 was measured at individual rides. He was 39 1/2 inches tall. He was not allowed on any ride that had a height restriction of 40 inches. Probably for good reason, but boy are they strict!

--Mainebound

Originally posted by mag1803178
what about with an adult?
If you're asking will they let a child on that doesn't meet the height requirments if accompanied by an adult the answer is no. They height requirements are for your childs safty. They won't be more safe just because an adult is there. If they do not meet the height requirement they will not be allowed to ride.

The height restriction is just that.... about how TALL you are.The rides have certain protective gear such as pull down bars,safety belts that just wouldn't give the kind of protection one needs if they are under the correct height.

I saw a roller coaster at 6 Flags Ga and I beleive there's one at IOA that has a height restriction both too short or too tall.It is one of those coaster that your feet hang down.If you're OVER the height requirement on it you can't ride as well!

I haven't seen the arm band thing at WDW although it seems like a good idea to me!

sha_lyn is of course right about the height restriction applying regardless of whether accompanied by an adult, but I wanted to add that in MK my 39.5 inch tall son was too short to ride alone but was allowed to drive with an adult next to him on Tomorrowland Indy Speedway.

Also, I am not recommending this, but I have heard of parents getting their nearly-tall-enough (and very eager and confident children) platform shoes or cowboy boots that will give them that extra fraction of an inch. Of course, you have to know the child well -- there are plenty of children (and adults LOL!) who are tall enough for rides like Splash Mountain who wouldn't do it for all the Mickeys in the world!

--Mainebound

They have these types of stations at Paramount parks (we saw one last summer at Canada's Wonderland) and thought they were a great idea. Saves so much time over measuring at each ride when they are "close".

Mainebound, you bring up something that I have seen a lot of over the past few years-platform shoes, putting a girl's ponytail high up on their head, cowboy boots or shoes to raise the child up a couple of inches. I think that is a sad thing to do in order to give your child a couple of minutes of fun (not saying you did this Mainebound--just remarking on something you brought up).

I have always prepared my son ahead of time that he was not going to be able to ride certain rides and if he was close we would just tell him "probably not going to happen". If he was able to go on, then there was no disappointment. IMO it is not worth the chance you take for a few minutes of fun.

On our last trip to WDW I saw a smart CM at the entrance to something in AK (probably Kali) who was measuring a young girl and left her stick off the ground about an inch or so. The girl's shoes were like a platform sandal, she had the "Pebbles" type of ponytail on top of her head and her mom kept telling her to stand up straight or she wouldn't get to ride with the rest of the family and the "big kids". We were right behind them waiting to enter the line and thought it was sad. Thankfully the girl was not upset about not riding, I think her mom was more miffed than she was.

Anyway--sorry to go off on a tangent, but the rules are definitely there for a reason. I used to work for Six Flags when I was younger and can't imagine an under-sized person riding something made for someone larger or taller.

Now if only WDW would get those measurement booths, that would be great! :)

DD was right at 40 barefoot 2 yrs ago when we went to US/IOA. Knowing that WDW sticks were about an inch higher to allow for shoes, I made sure DD had thick shoes for US/IOA. However they must included shoes in their measurements because she was way over the line. A yr later we returned to WDW and the same shoes still fit. She was almost 42 inches barefoot then and right at 43 with the shoes. She barely made the 40in mark at the WDW rides.

When we went in July 2001, dd was only 2 1/2. DH and ds went to ride Kali and the lady holding the stick said she's tall enough and proceded to prove it to me measuring her and measuring her hair (pony tail). I didn't think dd was old enough, but we walked down there and when dd saw the ride, she said no (as 2 year olds do so well!). So we just waited for the guys. I guess it depends on who's measuring, but I wasn't comfortable with dd so little and young riding that ride. She's 4 now and tall (42"), but only weighs 36 lbs.

Originally posted by sha_lyn
DD was right at 40 barefoot 2 yrs ago when we went to US/IOA. Knowing that WDW sticks were about an inch higher to allow for shoes, I made sure DD had thick shoes for US/IOA. However they must included shoes in their measurements because she was way over the line. A yr later we returned to WDW and the same shoes still fit. She was almost 42 inches barefoot then and right at 43 with the shoes. She barely made the 40in mark at the WDW rides.

I was wondering why DS wasn't measuring 40 inches at WDW, but was at the Dr. I even told the CM that he is really 40 inches in "real" life, but at WDW he is way under the stick!!

summerrluvv - we had the same thing happen with my older DS when he was 3. I knew he was AT LEAST 40 inches tall but he was WAY under too. It would be better to have the kids slip the shoes off than to just make the stick longer. It wasn't a big deal though - just surprising.

Oh I hope this is not true! My very short 5 year old has just hit 40 inches. We are going to WDW the last week in May and she has been measuring herself every week to see if she is big enough yet. She really wants to go on Splash Mountain which has a 40 inch requirement and which she had to sit out last time.

If the requirement is really 42 inches and not 40 inches I wish they would say that so that the very short don't get their hopes up. Now I'm very concerned that we may have a scene at the ride (she is prone to temper tantrums).

Is there any way we can measure her before we actually get to the ride to know if she will hit WDW's 40 inch requirement? Do they always add extra to your height even if you're not wearing tall shoes (she will probably be wearing Stride Rite sneakers)? Do I need to go out and buy her high heels to avoid major trauma on this vacation?

Is your child 40 inches with shoes on or 40 inches barefoot? I would think if they are 40 inches without shoes they would be fine, otherwise I wouldn't plan on it, but try it when you are there and see what she measures.

I am hoping we could get a CM here on the boards to help us out with the measuring questions though!

She's exactly 40 inches barefoot. The sneakers will probably add about half an inch.

I also wish a CM would answer this.

After reading this thread, I will start preparing her now for the possibility that she still may be too short even though she has hit the 40 inch line. What a bummer. She is so sensitive about her size because all her class mates are so much bigger and she has been so happy that she is now big enough to go on the rides that they went on. Her best friend went a couple months ago and has been telling her all about the rides that I now wonder if my dd will be able to ride. Thank God we aren't going to IOA, I can't imagine trying to keep her off Spiderman (her favorite movie).

Originally posted by welovedis
Mainebound, you bring up something that I have seen a lot of over the past few years-platform shoes, putting a girl's ponytail high up on their head, cowboy boots or shoes to raise the child up a couple of inches. I think that is a sad thing to do in order to give your child a couple of minutes of fun (not saying you did this Mainebound--just remarking on something you brought up).
:)

Just to clarify -- we did NOT do this. And my son took it really well (we only tried once, at Splash Mountain). I believe that parents are their kids' number one role models, so I think it is crucial that parents model good behavior for their children, and that includes following the rules even when it seems disadvantageous to you at the time.

Besides, it's not like we won't be back! We're addicted like everyone else on these boards! LOL!

--Mainebound

Mainebound-again, sorry if it doesn't seem clear, I wasn't saying you did this, just writing more about a point you brought up, that's all! :)

deedeetoo-i guess I would do what you said, explain to her that she might not be able to ride some things and then have her measured when you are there. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I am going to see if I can get a CM to come over and answer the questions we have about measurement. I'm sure they have been addressed before but with the search function down right now I cannot remember what was said.

HTH!

We had issues when youngest dd was just over 40" and found the measuring was very inconsistant. She was measured at the entrance to BTMR - 40" restriction and was at least an inch over the mark - no problem. Just before boarding another CM measured her again just to be sure and again no problem, Phew, she rode and loved it. Over to Spl Mtn and again the CM at the entrance pulled out the stick - and low and behold she was at least an inch under. I expressed concern, either the stick was wrong or she just rode BTMR and was unsafe. The CM went to a flatter part of the area and re-measured and she was plenty tall. Again she got measured at boarding and was tall enough. Be prepared for double checking on "borderline" kids. My dd began to like it as it showed how big she was twice as often LOL.

I did notice that they built a platform by Spl Mt hopefully this will solve the problem of the uneven ground.

I would welcome a universal type measuring system with color coded wristbands like at DL and some other theme parks.

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter