Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho. It's off to the Grand Floridian We Go! June 2014 (Update: Video)

Joining in! So many of us visited at the beginning of June and are writing TR's! So much to read right now!

How exciting!!!! It's fun to see so many people join in :banana:

So excited to read along!:cool1:

Cool! Looking forward to sharing with you and then reading about your dd's 5th birthday after your trip in November.

Reading along ... Beautiful family : )

Thanks for the compliment. And welcome to the TR :)

I hope so we are going December 2-7th ☺️

We've visited WDW during that same time period before and it was terrific. Good weather and low crowd levels. :thumbsup2

Following you over from your PTR. Can't wait to hear all about your trip. :)

Thanks Kelly. Glad to see you follow us over!

I'm in! Going to read your pre-trip report now.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the pre-trip report too :)

following along! i always find it so interesting when people drive down. living in northern ontario, it's too far of a drive.. 36 hours worth of driving. NO THANKS.

Yeah, 36 hours is quite the drive. We plan to drive to Disneyland next summer, and 27 hours is going to be more than enough! I hope I don't go crazy and pull a Clark Griswold :lmao:

Wally-World-Moose-Punch.jpg

Following along! My brother lives in O'Fallon/Dardenne Prairie, MO right outside of STL. :) Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

Small world. I work in Winghaven, which is probably just down the road from your brother :wave:

Now that I am back from my trip, I am very much looking forward to reading all about yours and how you guys enjoyed the Grand Floridian!! :cheer2:

I had fun reading the start of your trip report too! I'd rather be in Disney, but reading trip reports are great.

And you're off! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures.

Jill in CO

Thanks Jill. Glad to see you make it over to our TR.

Came over from your PTR. Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Awesome. Thanks for following along :)

Joining in! So many of us visited at the beginning of June and are writing TR's! So much to read right now!

I hear you! I feel the same way!

Subbing. Cant wait to read all about your trip!

Thanks and welcome! :hippie:

Day 2 - Wednesday the 4th - Florida or Bust!

After a good night's sleep, we got up fairly early and went downstairs for breakfast in the hotel lobby. It was your basic hotel breakfast, not disgusting but not good either. We took a few minutes to eat then headed back to our room to grab our luggage and get back on the road around 7:45 AM. :car:

Getting onto the highway, we immediately passed the Opryland Hotel and then the newer Grand Ole Opry building. Never been there and I'm not really much of a Country music fan, but I can appreciate the historical significance of this place. Pretty cool!

At that point, it was a fairly quiet drive. We got off the highway for lunch a little before noon. I checked for restaurants on Yelp and noticed a Schlotsky's in Dalton, GA. We used to have one of these near our house, but it closed over 10 years ago. It was one of Stephanie's favorite fast food places, so we skipped the traditional road trip lunch at Chik-Fil-A and had this instead.

It was nice out, so we decided to enjoy the fresh air and eat outside.

I remember always trying to decide if I wanted pizza or a sandwich. Now they have a half and half, so that's what I went with. It was pretty darn good. Too much food though. Oh well, I'm on vacation. I'm going to eat it all anyway!!!

Stephanie went with pizza and cream of chicken and wild rice soup. She said it was tasty. The soup wasn't like what she's used to at St. Louis Bread Co. (Panera), but she said it was just as good.

Princess had the pastrami sandwich. She REALLY liked it.

Buddy is our picky eater. He hated his pizza and said that he didn't want to ever eat at a Shlotzky's again. :rolleyes1

Pickle had a plain turkey sandwich and didn't think much of it either. She joined the protest with Buddy on never wanting to come back. :cheer2:

Stephanie, Princess, and I all loved our food. Strength in numbers. :grouphug: We will be back. Some day....

OK. Food... check! Bathroom breaks... complete! Gas level is OK! Let's get back "on the road again"!!! (And now I have a Willie Nelson voice in my head. I'm sure he's performed that song at the Grand Ole Opry a time or two in his career.)

Not too much longer and we were passing through Atlanta. I don't know why, but it always feels like a milestone on the drive for me!

Stephanie still kicking butt as the sole driver on this trip. (Normally we alternate driving shifts.) :drive:

And the kids are still happy in the back!

After a couple more hours driving south. Yahoo!! The Florida state line. Now, we are getting somewhere!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Another one of our traditions is to stop at the welcome center for bathroom breaks, photos, and free orange juice!

Open for Business? No problem here, my wallet is open and I'm ready to start doing some damage to our vacation budget!!!

But first, let's go inside and start with some free Florida orange juice! Haha.

This lady didn't look to happy that I was taking a picture. Oops! :rotfl2:

Yum!

Day 2 - Wednesday the 4th - Part 2

Stephanie was still rock'n the compression socks while grabbing a few brochures.

Oh, yeah. I'm so ready to face my destiny! :darth:

And the kids stretching their legs in the play area...

"Sorry, no time for Kenedy Space Center on this trip. But please say hello to your astronaut buddies for us!"

At that point, it was about 5:30 and time to hop in the car and head towards Jacksonville. Gotta get an obligatory photo with the dolphin first!

Around 6:45, we were hungry. Had another hour or so to drive, so we decided to hop off the highway for dinner. I looked up Yelp again and found a seafood restaurant with pretty good reviews, so we decided to stop at Sam's Crystal River Seafood in Macclenny, FL.

This place was more of a fried seafood kind of place, but that's OK. We had plans for fresh seafood by the beach the next night. It was tasty. Not the best ever, but pretty darn good considering what we are used to in Missouri. (That is until I ate the good stuff the next night which made this stuff seem not so great in comparison.)

I went with shrimp and scallops. Both were very good. The hushpuppies were amazing. Rice and okra were just OK.

Stephanie had a shrimp plate. Same shrimp as mine. Pretty good. Sorry for the out of focus photo. It was dark in there, so I had to use a low aperture setting, resulting in a very shallow depth of field...oops!

Buddy orders chicken or pizza at almost every place we eat. (I said he was picky right? Strangely, at home... he's the only one that will eat and enjoy his veggies and healthier food without being pestered.) He said it was pretty good.

Princess had fried clams. I had a couple and they were pretty darn good. I've had too many bad experiences with these things where it felt like you were eating fried rubber bands. Not the case here, they were nice and tender. Yum!

Last, but not least, Pickle went with the popcorn shrimp. She ate them all, so they must have been good!

Now that everyone had full bellies, it was time to make the final push to the east side of Jacksonville. We stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn. With more hotel points. Yahoo! This place was nice, it had a kitchen as well as comfy beds and a fold out sofa for Buddy.

It was now about 8:30 PM... just enough time left to take the kids down to the pool. Stephanie stayed back in the room to relax and zone out on some TV after a long day of driving. :happytv:

I brought the kids back in around 10pm and we all turned in for the night.

All in all, it was a pretty good travel day. It was fun to finally be in Florida and to have some seafood! And the kids had fun re-discovering the original Charlie and the Chocolate factory movie in the car. We've owned the DVD for many years, but I couldn't tell you when the last time it was watched. It might have even been Pickle's first time seeing it. They loved it and watched it a couple times over the next couple days.

Oh, so refreshing to see someone that knows that Panera is really the St Louis Bread Company! Oops, my Missouri is showing again. :)

Hooray for making it to Florida!

Jill in CO

I hear you! In St. Louis, they are still called St. Louis Bread Co., but they share the same Panera logo, fonts, and stuff. It's always weird to go out of town and see them called "Panera" without the St. Louis reference. Everything is exactly the same, except for the name. It's like some weird alternate reality. Haha!

I hear you! In St. Louis, they are still called St. Louis Bread Co., but they share the same Panera logo, fonts, and stuff. It's always weird to go out of town and see them called "Panera" without the St. Louis reference. Everything is exactly the same, except for the name. It's like some weird alternate reality. Haha!

I wish they would bring back the potato cream cheese soup and the original broccoli cheese recipe. ;)

Jill in CO

Great start! I always love to read about families of five going on trips since I have three children. The whole third child thing really makes a difference in hotels and riding rides.

A few years back we stayed at the Gaylord Hotel at Opryland. I really don't remember anything about seeing the Grand Ole Opry but I remember the Gaylord had the longest hallways I've ever been in.

About your day 2 part 1 ... Yep the Florida juice lady just looks like she's thinking " don't you even think about posting that on Instagram or Facebook or anywhere else! You just move on buddy " LOL

A fabulous first morning & afternoon of travels (( good times & good memories ))

Day 2 part 2 - hush puppies and fried okra that's how southern shrimp platter should roll : )

What a lovely family you have. Looking forward to reading more about your trip and stay at the GF. :)

Yay!! You've started! :banana:

I love reading about travel days for some reason!

Hee! That picture of your room in Nashville with Pickle just in the corner, she looks so happy and gleeful!!!

I love Panera Bread! No idea its actually from the St Louis Bread Co! Very interesting!

Can't wait for more! Hope your wrist is feeling better!

I'm in! Looking forward to seeing how a big family trip goes. The biggest we had was with DH's family, about 12 of us, but it was more an "Orlando" trip than Disney,since we only did Disney one day.

I'll being staying in the Grand for the first time in October so I can't wait to hear about that!

Yay for making it to Florida! We took the same pictures of the welcome sign and with the dolphin back in March. :) If you ever have some free time in Nashville definitely go check out the Opryland hotel and the Grand Ole Opry. Even if you aren't a country music fan they are both really cool to see. The hotel is HUGE and beautiful and the Opry is just cool because so many legends have played there. :)

The picture of the lady at the welcome center is hilarious! :)

Great start! I always love to read about families of five going on trips since I have three children. The whole third child thing really makes a difference in hotels and riding rides.

A few years back we stayed at the Gaylord Hotel at Opryland. I really don't remember anything about seeing the Grand Ole Opry but I remember the Gaylord had the longest hallways I've ever been in.

I agree about the families of five thing. At Disney, we are to the point where we pretty much need to stay in a deluxe for the extra bed or get two rooms at a value resort. I wish there were more options for families of five out there.

About your day 2 part 1 ... Yep the Florida juice lady just looks like she's thinking " don't you even think about posting that on Instagram or Facebook or anywhere else! You just move on buddy " LOL

Haha! You are so right :)

What a lovely family you have. Looking forward to reading more about your trip and stay at the GF. :)

Thanks, and welcome to the TR :thumbsup2

Yay!! You've started! :banana:

I love reading about travel days for some reason!

Hee! That picture of your room in Nashville with Pickle just in the corner, she looks so happy and gleeful!!!

I love Panera Bread! No idea its actually from the St Louis Bread Co! Very interesting!

Can't wait for more! Hope your wrist is feeling better!

Thanks! The wrist is feeling much better indeed. It doesn't really hurt anymore unless I bump it or lift something heavy. Happy to have the worst of it behind me :cool1:

I'm in! Looking forward to seeing how a big family trip goes. The biggest we had was with DH's family, about 12 of us, but it was more an "Orlando" trip than Disney,since we only did Disney one day.

I'll being staying in the Grand for the first time in October so I can't wait to hear about that!

Cool. I actually enjoyed the Grand Floridian more than I would have expected. As you'll see in upcoming posts, it was amazing!!! I'm sure you'll have an amazing stay in October.

Yay for making it to Florida! We took the same pictures of the welcome sign and with the dolphin back in March. :) If you ever have some free time in Nashville definitely go check out the Opryland hotel and the Grand Ole Opry. Even if you aren't a country music fan they are both really cool to see. The hotel is HUGE and beautiful and the Opry is just cool because so many legends have played there. :)

The picture of the lady at the welcome center is hilarious! :)

I just googled the Opryland hotel and looked at some photo. It does seem pretty cool inside. :goodvibes

We drove in 2010. I had read about the free orange juice at the welcome center. We thought we found it but there was no oj so we were never sure. Now seeing your pictures I know we weren't! I have no idea where we were.:rotfl2:

Your hotel looks nice and sounds like a fun traveling day!

That's funny. I know there's another visitor center further south than the orange juice one. It has an overlook area. I wonder if you stopped at that one?

Day 3 - Thursday the 5th - Having fun at the beach!

After a good night's sleep, we headed down to the lobby for the hotel breakfast around 7:15am. Everyone thought it was gross, even by free hotel breakfast standards. But we had a nice setting outside anyway. The hotel was located inside a beautiful office park. With all the landscaping, it seemed more like a country club/resort.

After we finished eating, we headed back to our room. Instead of a traditional hotel, they had small buildings each with a few rooms in them. Pretty cool.

So our plan for the day was to spend the morning at Jacksonville Beach, the afternoon at Kona skatepark, have a nice seafood dinner, and then come back and relax at the pool.

We grabbed our gear and headed to the beach, which was about 25 minutes east of the hotel. We had a surfing lesson with "Saltwater Cowgirls" scheduled for Princess to start at 9:00am. We arrived at about 8:30, so we headed down to explore the beach for a little while before the lesson started.

It was fairly empty when we arrived. And low tide. Cool!

Buddy got right to work on a sand castle.

Pickle headed strait to the water.

And Princess just explored a bit before we headed back up to the surf shop.

A few minutes later, Princess and I walked a couple blocks back to the surf shop.

Princess had expressed interested in taking a surf lesson a while back, so I decided to see if anyone in Jax Beach offered them. I discovered a couple of ladies that own a surf school called "Saltwater Cowgirls". They specialize in all girl surf camps throughout the summer, but offer private lessons too. After exploring their website and Facebook page, they seemed like a great fit for us, so I contacted them about two weeks earlier and got us penciled in for a 1.5 hour lesson (for $80). We arrived at 9:00 and met Lesley (one of the owners). She was super friendly from the start and I was confident that this was going to go well.

Before heading to the beach, we headed out back to pick out the best surf board for Princess to use (based on her lack of experience surfing, experience skateboarding, size, conditions of the day, etc.) They ended up picking out a large 9’ foam board that’s supposed to be nice and stable for beginners. That sounded good to me. Gotta walk before you run, right?

Lesley started off on the beach explaining how the wind and tide affect surf conditions and general safety topics. Then she showed Princess how to stand and how to hop up from her belly.

After about 15 minutes, they were ready to head out to the water. This is it! Good luck Princess!!!!

And then they paddled into position...

In the meantime, Buddy and Pickle worked on their sand castle.

Princess did surprisingly well! She took a face plant on her first wave, but then she was able to get good rides on most of her waves after that.

Wipeout!!!

She got up and rode the next few waves. Wow! I thought it would take longer to get up and ride. A good combination of a great instructor and some natural talent!

And then Lesley rode a few too!

I like how these next two photos show Princess getting up on the wave and then riding it!

I have to say that at this point, I was feeling pretty jealous since I had to stay out of the water and keep my cast dry. I had fun taking pictures though!

The rest of the group had fun on the beach, collecting shells, playing in the sand, and stopping occasionally to see how Princess was doing.

After about 45 minutes or so, they came back in for a quick break to rest and to drink some water, and then they headed towards the bigger waves over by the pier.

They surfed for another 30 minutes or so before coming back in.

Princess was grinning from ear to ear. She was on cloud nine!

At that point we walked back up to the surf shop. Princess got a Saltwater Cowgirls tshirt a sticker and we visited for a little while in the shop. All in all, the surfing experience was great. If you are ever in the area and want to take a surfing lesson, I highly recommend Saltwater Cowgirls. We couldn't have been more pleased with Lesley! A very friendly, positive, and encouraging lady. What a great role model for Princess :)

After saying goodbye, we headed back to the beach to hang out with the others. From that point on we had a typical beach experience, the kids played in the waves, looked for shells, ate snacks, etc. Good times and great memories!

We stayed at the beach until around 1:40pm and then decided to grab lunch, and then head back to the hotel to change and grab the skateboard gear.

Stay tuned for the second half of the day, and then we'll get to the Walt Disney World stuff :yay:

Jumping in to follow along- your family is adorable and that sucks about the broken bones!! I can imagine it must have been a little funky with the cast in the heat. Def don't give up on skate boarding either- it's very Walter Mitty cool :)

Thanks for following along. And yes, the heat and sweat made the cast very funky by the end of the trip. Luckily, they needed to take more x-rays the day after we got back, so they cut it off and gave me a new one! (My wrist was in the gray area for needing surgery to align the bones. So they wanted me to get it checked out after the trip to see how it was. Luckily, everything was still aligned, so no surgery needed!!!! That was a big relief :hippie: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter