Heard bad things about the Poly today- your thoughts?

We are tossing around the idea of staying at the Poly, but I spoke with a fellow Disney fanatic today :earsboy: and she said not to shell out the money for Poly- she said that the Yacht and Beach Club are a LOT better for the money. I didn't have time to ask her to go into detail, but wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter. We've never been to the Poly nor have we even visited there, other than when the monorail has driven by, and we usually stay at CBR (to compare.)

I guess it depends on what kind of discount you can get. I'm staying at the poly for $211 (+tax) per night in a garden view room. A GV room at the poly is always a great view, many even look out over the lagoon.

I could have stayed at BC/YC for $197(+tax), but I likely would have been looking out at a parking lot or roof. Not cool. :rotfl:

I think you need to really think about what parks you're going to be at most of the time. My husband & I would love to stay at the Poly with our kids. We spend most of our time at the MK and having the monorail would be great. We've walked through Poly & YC. The Poly is really nice inside and I thought they recently refurbished all the rooms. YC is beautiful and we think we would love it there. However, we're not at Epcot that much. We spend usually 2 full days at MK and end up there for part of some of the other days. I think you have to go with your gut. I agree with previous posts that a resort depends on the person. I have read a bunch of negative reviews about WL, but my family loves it there. We don't have anything negative to say about it. Every resort is going to have an issue at some time or another.

Thank you for all of your opinions.

To give more information, we'll be staying for just a few days. Going to EPCOT, MK, and DS for one day each (although we do have weekday select SPs so we can hop if we want to, although we likely won't.) I can get the room for 42% off (AP rate.)

We do LOVE CBR. While I am really wanting to try a different resort just for a new experience, the truth is that we would probably have stayed at CBR again if it wasn't for the double beds. They really need to put queen sized beds in all mods, IMO. But yes- we love the theming at CBR. We love the Tiki Room in MK, too- I guess in my mind I always pictured Poly to be like the Tiki Room? :flower:

We're going during value season, too, if it makes a difference. We generally don't hang out at the pool until the evening, when we get back from the parks (my kids like to go night swimming.) We probably won't be eating at any table service restaurants this time- I think I'd like to wait to do the regular DP when the baby is a little older and enjoys the characters a little bit more. Still unsure if we'll be buying the QSDP or just paying for our meals OOP (I know they have free dining but since we have SPs it's kind-of a hassle w/the free dining, since you have to buy 2-day tix now.)

I know that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and this vacation will be what we make of it- attitude does mean a lot. It's just that I don't want to get there and be like, "We paid double what we would have paid at CBR for THIS?!" KWIM? Having never seen the inside of the resort, I just don't know what to think. I can drive up for the day to visit- might just do that this weekend- but I really need to make these ressies soon- the trip is quickly approaching! ::yes::

I will say that a clean, fresh room is very important to us. We stayed a POR last September and both rooms we had had paint peeling, looked dingy/worn out, had a musty smell, and rust in the bathrooms. It really tainted my opinion of that resort. :( On the other hand, both times we've been to AKL, the rooms are pristine- they smell good, everything looks clean and fresh, etc. I don't mind if the rooms are darker, but I need them to be clean and not worn out looking or "in need of a refurb" like POR was.

So does that change anyone's advice to recommend (or not recommend) this resort to us?

Does anyone have pics of the inside of the longhouses?

Check the Poly lovers FAQ - sticky link to all the resort FAQs at the top of the page if you can't find it - and the Resort Photos sub-forum for lots of Poly photos. Tikiman's site has lots of great photos as well
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

The Poly is my favorite Disney resort and I am returning a month from today. I have also stayed at GF, AKL, BWI, YC, and CSR.

The ambiance of the Poly is what draws me back. I love the lush landscaping, atrium lobby, location on the lagoon across from MK, and myriad transport options. It's wonderful to stand on your balcony and hear the train whistle at MK. I love to sit on the beach at night and watch the monorails circling the lagoon. The Poly, because it is spread out and beautifully landscaped, has a true resort feeling.

Thank you for all of your opinions.

To give more information, we'll be staying for just a few days. Going to EPCOT, MK, and DS for one day each (although we do have weekday select SPs so we can hop if we want to, although we likely won't.) I can get the room for 42% off (AP rate.)

We do LOVE CBR. While I am really wanting to try a different resort just for a new experience, the truth is that we would probably have stayed at CBR again if it wasn't for the double beds. They really need to put queen sized beds in all mods, IMO. But yes- we love the theming at CBR. We love the Tiki Room in MK, too- I guess in my mind I always pictured Poly to be like the Tiki Room? :flower:

We're going during value season, too, if it makes a difference. We generally don't hang out at the pool until the evening, when we get back from the parks (my kids like to go night swimming.) We probably won't be eating at any table service restaurants this time- I think I'd like to wait to do the regular DP when the baby is a little older and enjoys the characters a little bit more. Still unsure if we'll be buying the QSDP or just paying for our meals OOP (I know they have free dining but since we have SPs it's kind-of a hassle w/the free dining, since you have to buy 2-day tix now.)

I know that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and this vacation will be what we make of it- attitude does mean a lot. It's just that I don't want to get there and be like, "We paid double what we would have paid at CBR for THIS?!" KWIM? Having never seen the inside of the resort, I just don't know what to think. I can drive up for the day to visit- might just do that this weekend- but I really need to make these ressies soon- the trip is quickly approaching! ::yes::

I will say that a clean, fresh room is very important to us. We stayed a POR last September and both rooms we had had paint peeling, looked dingy/worn out, had a musty smell, and rust in the bathrooms. It really tainted my opinion of that resort. :( On the other hand, both times we've been to AKL, the rooms are pristine- they smell good, everything looks clean and fresh, etc. I don't mind if the rooms are darker, but I need them to be clean and not worn out looking or "in need of a refurb" like POR was.

So does that change anyone's advice to recommend (or not recommend) this resort to us?

Does anyone have pics of the inside of the longhouses?

I've stayed at the BWI, GF and Contemporary. I've visited the Poly and am considering it for our next trip (if it gets refurbished by 2012). Based on what you've just written, I'm leaning towards the EPCOT area resorts for you on this trip for the following reasons:

1. You are only planning one day at MK. For the other 2 days, the EPCOT area will be more convenient.
2. You have already stayed at CBR, loved it, and are worried that the Poly will just seem like a more expensive version of a similar theme. Why not try a completely different theme at BC/YC/BWI that won't cause you to compare?
3. The rooms at BC/YC/BWI have all been reburfished recently and are in great shape while the Poly is coming due for an overhaul.
4. I think the EPCOT area is a more dynamic and beautiful resort area than the MK area.
5. You can choose a hotel that will guarantee you a balcony (nice for when you are trying to get the kids to bed).
6. You will have all the restaurants of EPCOT a short walk away (whether you decide to have TS meals or counter or whatever).

If you were planning to spend most of your time at the MK I would tell you to pick the Poly. That's why our last two trips have been on the monorail (but as soon as our girls are older we will go back to the EPCOT area).

Have a great trip whatever you decide.

I've stayed at the BWI, GF and Contemporary. I've visited the Poly and am considering it for our next trip (if it gets refurbished by 2012).

The Poly just received a pretty large overhaul that finished up in 2006. I doubt that there will be another one soon.

Like you, our favorite resort is CBR also. In 2008 we decided to stray and try out the Poly. We did have the reactio " we paid all that extra mony for what?". The rooms are very dark compared to CBR. The theme is a tropical one but it is not the same. The grounds are just not a bright, even the flowers are deeper and darker. CBR is a more open resort with light and bright colors everywhere. The Poly is not. Don't get me wrong it was a nice place but I can honestly say when choosing between the Poly or CBR we will always pick CBR.

Now this trip we will be staying at the Beach Club. Once again, I think the decore is just a little lighter and warmer than the Poly. I think it will give us more of the feeling that we get from the grounds and decor at CBR.

Either way I am sure you will have a great trip!

Erin

Now knowing that you're going to MK, Epcot & DS for one day each, I would choose BC or YC. You have easy access to two parks and with little ones that is key. You can easily return in the afternoon for a break from Epcot & DS. You'll only need to get on the bus once for MK. On our last trip we took the boat from DS to Epcot resorts to look around. They all looked great. We would like to stay in one some day, but that's when the kids are older and can handle the extra travel time from MK and don't need to return to the resort for a break in the afternoon. :)

I think all the Disney resorts are nice in their own way. As you can tell by these posts the Poly has people who love it and people who don't. Just like all the other resorts. I happen to love the Poly and have stayed there several times. The rooms have recently been refurbished and I think are very nicely decorated and our rooms were in great shape. No resort is perfect no matter what people try to tell you. I have stayed at Poly, CR, GF, CBR, POR, SOG, and ASSports and I have found each to be nice in it's own way. Poly will always be my favorite, though I would love to try BC, WL and AKL too! Don't know what "smell" was referred to in earlier post...that has always been one of my best memories of the Poly was the smell when walk into GCH! Different strokes, I guess! Try it and make up your own mind. There certainly seem to be more people who like the Poly then not. If I had listened to all the negative reviews of ASSports we would have missed out on a perfectly lovely time last spring break.

Thanks for the links and for your continued advice! :) Still haven't found pics of the inside of the longhouses yet- I'm having a hard time visualizing them since they aren't connected to the GCH. Does it look like the inside of the CR garden wing, basically?

As for the smell- if I like the smell of AKL, will I like the smell of Poly? (LOL- crazy question, huh?!) Or will I only like the smell of it if I enjoy the smell of the damp boats on Splash Mountain (which, incidentally, I DO NOT, LOL- they smell mildewy! :rotfl:)

Thanks for the links and for your continued advice! :) Still haven't found pics of the inside of the longhouses yet- I'm having a hard time visualizing them since they aren't connected to the GCH. Does it look like the inside of the CR garden wing, basically?

As for the smell- if I like the smell of AKL, will I like the smell of Poly? (LOL- crazy question, huh?!) Or will I only like the smell of it if I enjoy the smell of the damp boats on Splash Mountain (which, incidentally, I DO NOT, LOL- they smell mildewy! :rotfl:)

I gave you a link to the Tikiman site which has photos of the rooms and buildings. And guitarob posted the link to the Poly thread here which has lots of photos - did you look at those?

I gave you a link to the Tikiman site which has photos of the rooms and buildings. And guitarob posted the link to the Poly thread here which has lots of photos - did you look at those?

If you are asking if I went through all 84 pages of posts in the photo thread, then no- of course I didn't look at all of them. ;) I have made it through the first 6 and haven't seen any yet. I just re-checked the Tikiman site and DID find a pic of the hallway, though- it's under the Tahiti section! :thumbsup2 Must have missed it the first time I checked!

I didn't realize you meant the hallways. Not much to see - they look like any other deluxe hallways - some lights on the walls, carpet and a bunch of doors! I didn't know anyone took pictures of the hallways!

We have stayed at the Poly and absolutely loved it. Our last stay we tried the WL and while it was wonderful and amazing we all missed the Poly. If you have a baby you simply can't beat the monorail. The monorail was something we dearly missed at the WL and we all loved the tropical theme at the Poly. Go with your heart and what feels right to you and you will have wonderful Disney memories and magic no matter where you stay. All of the resorts are great and it's a matter of what feels right for you and your family. Have Fun!!! :surfweb:

I didn't realize you meant the hallways. Not much to see - they look like any other deluxe hallways - some lights on the walls, carpet and a bunch of doors! I didn't know anyone took pictures of the hallways!

LOL- chalk it up to my OCD to need to know what the hallway looks like! :laughing: I was just curious how it looked not being attached to the main building but not "motel style" like the values and mods. I guess what I am moreso wondering is, where do you enter the longhouses? Through a door at either end?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter