Heard bad things about the Poly today- your thoughts?

Clover9990

<font color=336699>Let me know where we can get so
We are tossing around the idea of staying at the Poly, but I spoke with a fellow Disney fanatic today :earsboy: and she said not to shell out the money for Poly- she said that the Yacht and Beach Club are a LOT better for the money. I didn't have time to ask her to go into detail, but wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter. We've never been to the Poly nor have we even visited there, other than when the monorail has driven by, and we usually stay at CBR (to compare.)

**Added more info in post #23

I have never stayed at the Poly but will be there in 8 days. My only advice is to take the opinions of others with a grain of salt. No one will ever really share the same perspective or the same experience so it is really hard to veto staying somewhere based on someone else's experience.
For me, I decided to book a trip at the Poly since it is one of the originals, it seems to be more laid back that most of the other deluxes and I got a great price. I am going to keep an open and positive attitude (as I try to on all my trips) and have fun! I find that those looking for the negative are never dissapointed:)

Happy planning!

I would suggest you read reviews on these boards as well as others. Look at pictures/videos of the resort. Compare the prices between Poly and an Epcot resort and then decide.

We just returned from our first Poly stay. (We've stayed at all levels of resorts over the years.) We didn't love our location, but the theming is lovely. The room was huge and the bathroom was also quite large with 2 sinks.

However, we didn't just looooooove it like so many seem to. We also stayed 2 nights at the Dolphin and I have to say that their Grotto Pool is far superior to the dinky Volcano pool.

My heart lies with Beach Club/Yacht Club/Beach Club. I just love the location and the theming.

Kerri

I've always loved the Poly. Great location, landscaping, theme. Plenty of restaurants and shops. On the monorail and near the TTC. I would not worry about it.

Just scroll a few pages of the board here and you will see good reviews and bad reviews of the Poly, AS WELL AS EVERY OTHER WDW RESORT. We love the Poly. We also love Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, etc., etc. I really don't put much stock in most of the reviews - preferences are too individual.

That's the thing; I was considering a monorail resort because we have a baby and it'll be easier than the buses. We like to park our car for the duration when we stay at Disney- since we are locals, it makes it feel more like a vacation to us.

There are negative opinions about every single resort in disney. Poly is a favorite on the Dis boards ~ you'll probably read more positives than negatives. Personally, it's very hard to beat the location of the Poly. Having the TTC right there offers incredible transportation to MK, Epcot, and the other monorail resorts. Plus the beach area is very nice with a great view of Wishes each night. Poly also has great restaurants. I say give it a try!

With a little one, Poly is a great choice. I first stayed at Poly in 1973, and have been to Poly 30+ times since. Have tried and enjoyed all the other deluxes and moderates, and my heart is split between Boardwalk and Poly. It's a great place!

If you like the theming at CBR--you are going to LOVE Poly.

I have never stayed at the Poly but will be there in 8 days. My only advice is to take the opinions of others with a grain of salt. No one will ever really share the same perspective or the same experience so it is really hard to veto staying somewhere based on someone else's experience.
For me, I decided to book a trip at the Poly since it is one of the originals, it seems to be more laid back that most of the other deluxes and I got a great price. I am going to keep an open and positive attitude (as I try to on all my trips) and have fun! I find that those looking for the negative are never dissapointed:)

Happy planning!

Excellent advice. I could've written that reply myself except mine would've been far less eloquent and with a crappier ticker. :laughing:

we have stayed at the beach club & Poly. The Poly was 3 years ago. I really didn't think it was worth the money we paid. However we were moved to the conceirge level, ( due to many housekeeping issues ) The Cm's are very nice and accomodating thru out the Poly. The Pool was nice, captn cook was nice. Lilo & Stitch breakfast was good. Our 3 girls loved it. WHat Disney is charging for is the locatioin. I think the rooms are dark & need an overhaul. Don't misunderstand they are nice but not at he toon of 300.00 a night. Again, location is what you are paying for. The Beach Club was nicer for the interior. But I felt that the Cm's there were snobs. The pool was ok for me. hard to find chairs, and the pool bar was not convient. Just to give you an insight for my taste, we love and always stay at the Hard Rock. Nice set up they have there. Next month we are staying at the WL, I am nervous also about the reviews I have read here, but I still can not wait. To be honest I wanted to try the BWI, but the clown thing there freaks my husband out. WHile we stayed at the Beach Club, I really liked the location there. If the price was right I would stay at the Poly again, CL Hawaii bldg or Somoa Bldg. Both are very well centrally located for all the resort amentities.
Go with your gut, and your first choice hotel no matter what you read.

have a nice tirp

I agree very much here. It does seem like the Polynesian is very "love it" or "hate it" and there's not a lot of middle ground.

I personally love the Polynesian, it has been "home" to me for many years. Many times we've thought about staying somewhere else, and we keep ending up back there.

It's a huge combination of the theme, the location, the restaurants, the views, the atmosphere and the Cast Members that keep me going back.

I think you need to take a look at all resorts you'd like to stay at, and pick the one that speaks to you the most. I'm sure that whatever you choose, as long as you pick what YOU like and not what others suggest, will provide you with a wonderful home for your trip.

ok, here is my 2 pennies. :)

First of all, Im a GF kinda gal...I love that place.:cloud9: But, when DH pitches a POLY FIT....Im ok with it, cause I like the Poly. LIKE, not LOVE. The rooms are huge, the landscaping is awesome, and the food and snack shops are good. I love shopping at BOU-TIKI as well! The rooms are always clean, the CMs are nice and the location is GREAT!

We will be there for Labor Day, and Im not one bit worried and I have read some BAD reviews lately as well. I just dismiss em..cause we have had many stays there, so I know things will be fine. Positive thinkin!;)

Like other posters have said, you will get bad and good reviews no matter what. All depends on personal preference. If you look at the FAQ thread and look at the pics and read the info on the resort, you will be hooked.

You may like it or not, but you wont know til you try!

Good luck and I hope you love the Poly!

I have stayed@ the poly twice. I really love it. The grounds are beautiful, especially when the torched are lit at night. You can walk to the TTC so you don't have to transfer to the epcot monorail which I think is a big plus. The location and monorail access are great. The volcano water slide is really cool but the pool itself should be bigger. Have a great trip!

We always dreamed of staying at the Poly and before our first stay in 2007, I read alot of negative reports about the resort and started second guessing staying there :confused:....then I finally decided that we had to try it for ourselves, otherwise we'd never know if it was to our liking :confused3. So I kept our ressie and kept thinking about the tropical atmosphere and being so close to MK :cloud9:. Well, we loved it from the minute we stepped foot into the lobby :lovestruc.....if I had changed our resort, we would have missed out on one of the best vacations we've ever had at Disney.....we absolutely love the Poly and can't wait to go back :goodvibes. You may love the resort or you may not.....but you won't know unless you stay there ;). All resorts have positives and negatives as everyone's opinions vary, so I say take the negative reports with a grain of salt and give it a try :wizard:.

I have visited there several times; I finally get to fulfill my dream in 2 months and stay at the Poly!:cool1: I think you really have to try it for yourself. I can't imagine not loving the Poly. It's such a beautiful hotel and I think that the convenience of the monorail and getting to watch the fireworks from the beach will be heaven.:cloud9:

We just got back from the Beach Club and absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED this resort (and the Yacht Club, too). The convenience of having world class dining steps from the resort (less than 10 minute walk to the back gate at Epcot) was icing on the cake. Also, the walk (or boat) ride over to the Boardwalk was wonderful, the boat ride (or walk) to Hollywood Studios, there is just so much going on and the resorts have so much to offer.

We walked through the Poly when we were returning from the MK and went back by the pool area and said "IS THIS IT?!?" The pool looks like a puddle compared to the Beach Club. The pool at the Poly must be MOBBED during a hot day, I can't imagine. The lobby at the Poly smelled like stale water, not quite mildew-y but a faint stench. At night at the Beach Club, we watched Illuminations from the Beach (and watched movies on the beach, too!) At the Beach Club, we never had a problem finding chairs and it was nice that outsiders were NOT ALLOWED at Stormalong Bay at all, just us lucky Yacht and Beach Club guests. SAB is a "water park" all it's own, never needed to leave to go to the "real" water parks. SAB has so much to offer, HOT TUBS GALORE (something not at the Poly, I beleive), whirlpool, sandy bottomed pool complete with sand play area (toddlers LOVED this area),VERY COOL and FAST slide, and the best lazy river EVER! Bring your noodle and expect a great time here!! I could not get my kids out of SAB to visit the parks, that's how much fun they were having!! Enjoy!!

Like other have said you'll get good and not so good reports on the any resort. My family all love this resort. Disney room take a lot of abuse and maybe it time to redo some of the Poly rooms again. Most of the complaints have been about room being in poor condition, crowded pool and beach area.

The Poly's main pool is small and when attendance is at peak the pool and beach area can be very crowded. It been a while since I've stayed here, but our last stay was wonderful. (about 3 years)

Like most everyone has said, you will always find positives and negatives with any resort.
I have been to both Poly and BC, but have not stayed in either. We are staying at Poly for a couple of days during our December trip just because I want to try it and I want to be on the monorail.
BC looks lovely, but the dealbreaker for me is no counter service. I have three kids, and yes Epcot is close, but not "I'll run downstairs and grab a sandwich" close. For our family, counter service is a must.
(yes, Beaches & Cream is there but it is very limited)

I think both resorts have a lot of great qualities and you'll be happy either way.:goodvibes

The Beach Club has the Marketplace for counter-service and Hurricane Hannahs for poolside counter-service.

We are tossing around the idea of staying at the Poly, but I spoke with a fellow Disney fanatic today :earsboy: and she said not to shell out the money for Poly- she said that the Yacht and Beach Club are a LOT better for the money. I didn't have time to ask her to go into detail, but wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter. We've never been to the Poly nor have we even visited there, other than when the monorail has driven by, and we usually stay at CBR (to compare.)

I am one of those people that 100% agree with this. I left a trip to the Poly after 24 hours, I was CL and I just did not like it at ALL! So I had them transfer my money over to the YC...
I would suggest you go for breakfast or lunch there and check out the area...
for me the pool is way to crowded and small, the shower head was low, who wants to bend down to shower???? and I disliked the smell and tackiness of it all. I am more the Grand or YC person!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter