Healthy Living around the World Showcase ~ June 2016 WISH Challenge!

Strangely, when I asked my optometrist, he didn't even mention Transititions lenses. I forgot all about them. His suggestions were either separate sunglasses or these magnetic clip on lenses. I figured I might lose the clip ons, so decided to go for prescription sunglasses or nothing, but I didn't even think about transitions. Those would be even better, but seeing as I just got a new pair of regular glasses, it's too late now for Transitions anyway!

I've been all over the map with sunglasses. Most recently, I've had $20 pairs from Target or wherever, but there was a time that I spent $100 on some RayBans and I did really like them and they lasted and lasted. I'm not even sure these prescription ones are that high quality. The frames are $100+ and that's what gets me. I knew the lenses would be costly - they are $90 plus either $20 for just tint or $100 for polarized tint, I just didn't expect the frames to cost so much. My daughter has an eye doctor appointment on Wednesday and while she's getting her exam, I'll look at the sunglasses frames again. Part of me thinks if I keep them for a long time, they would be worth it. But the other part of me says, I could lose them or sit on them and then that would be a big waste of money. Maybe they come with a warranty (not from being lost of course), I'll have to look into that.

I don't like the transition glasses. They are never properly white or dark and from vanity point of you I don't like how they look. It's not big deal to change from regular to sun glasses. Mine fit in same case. All I need to do is carry one and wear the other

The challenge comes if some days you wear lenses. You can't wear your prescription sun glasses with lenses so you need to remember to change that pair to regular sunglasses

Last edited:
I need to get some better pics of me in it, but here's one after the bestie threw my "hood" on my head to see what it would actually look like. (It looks like i'm wearing a bit sorting hat from HP). hair is messy and my dress is a bit off center at the chest, but i'll get something new taken in it soon :)

View attachment 174655
I love this dress, great shape & pattern. You look super cute

I am here to report real progress!! My scale finally decided to show me a new lowest number!! Somehow over the last 4 weeks I was able to get down to the same low again and again and then floated up. Today I was finally half a pound below that number!! This puts me at 55% progress for the month!!! And it gives me a lot of motivation!!

My pulses QOTD made me pick a recipe with beans for today and I even did not use canned beans, but dried ones. I find those always taste better - and give you fewer of those side effects that can be caused by beans...

Saturday QOTD:
1) my kitchen scale. I am positive that without my constant weighing of nearly everything that enters my mouth at home is absolutely vital for my progress.

2) my fitbit. I know that it truly helps me to motivate me to move AND to monitor how much calories I burn with exercise. I NEED these extra calories in order to be able to eat them. I just don't have the willpower to eat very little. I need my little treats to keep me happy and this way I can count them and still get my deficit.

3) I am seriously considering getting a new scale, even though my current one works fine (even when it insists on showing me numbers that I do not want to see...). But I would love one that had more functions and/or could sync with my computer automatically, so no cheating on weight anymore.

View attachment 174851 TThe "sexy" dress. It barely fits so at least I'm not tempted to overeat! If I do the dress will pop! I'll be back in the morning to chat!......P

You look amazing! What a wonderful dress, perfect for a summer wedding!

Oh wow, how beautiful you are!!!!! Looking very slim and elegant in this dress and you have gorgeous smile

Awesome thread title. I am not formally part of this month's challenge but may come up with some behaviour goal so I can join. Missing the daily chats

Great to see you!! You are always welcome to just pop in to chat without following any goal! We have missed you!

We went to the water park Thursday evening and I had fun.

That sounds like great fun! I love water parks, but they are very rare in Germany (and then mainly indoors due to weather).

Question of the Day for June 12

We are still in Japan - and it is time to talk about food again! Don't worry, I am not going to ask you for Japanese recipes!! Let#s talk about a typical Japanese food tradition though, that can be adapted for western fare: the Bento Box!

menu_item_image_175.jpg

The picture is from Tokyo Dining, one of the three restaurants in the Japan pavilion. They have a bento box on the menu and there it is a selection of different small plates - one could even think of it as Japanese tapas. However, generally the bento box is a food container packed at home or bought ready made for eating on the go. Or you could call it a fancy version of a lunch box!

Do you pack lunches (or other meals when you are on the go) to bring with you? What do you usually bring and what is your favorite?

Do you pack lunches (or other meals when you are on the go) to bring with you? What do you usually bring and what is your favorite?

I have typically fluctuated with taking lunches to work with me - I am trying much harder at the moment though. Last week when things were a little lean in the pantry/fridge - I ended up packing in a cylinder stackable container the following: yoghurt in one, berries in the next and filled the last one with cereal. I combined it in a bowl at lunch time - I was actually surprised at how filling this was - now I know this sounds like breakfast - but it was better than a take-away food which is my usual fall back. Otherwise I usually take dinner left-overs for lunch.

I don't really take anything with me if I was out shopping or running errands though - maybe that is another step I need to make.

I am here to report real progress!! My scale finally decided to show me a new lowest number!! Somehow over the last 4 weeks I was able to get down to the same low again and again and then floated up. Today I was finally half a pound below that number!! This puts me at 55% progress for the month!!! And it gives me a lot of motivation!!

That is great news - I am so happy for you.

Question of the Day for June 6:
But why did I tell you all of this? I think there is a lesson to be learned from the Norwegians: There ability as a country to exercise moderation. Yes, some of the oil money goes to benefit the people living there. But most of it isn't. They know that spending everything would be nice now, but really bad later. How do you deal with moderation? Is this easy for you or do you struggle with it? Have you found ways to help you being better in this regard?

I think this is a big question and it's so hard to nail down as it's moving target. A friend had to spend her day in the hospital with her child undergoing surgery recently and mentioned she had cheese toasties and bowl of cereal for dinner. To me this is moderation, considering the situation and while it didn't fit her view of healthy, it wasn't terrible choice or excessive quantity

If you are very unhappy with your weight, there isn't much moderation in having a 1600 calorie pizza followed by 1000 calorie dessert and half a bottle of wine with your mates on Friday night outing in aim for moderation. It doesn't feel very moderate to want to lose weight and stuff yourself with large, unhealthy meal even if it's only once a week. If your behaviour and you goals clashes - it can make you miserable, were is the balance in that?

I will post a holiday report in few days (in terms of healthy behaviour, some not so healthy, weight pre post etc)

I told myself I can have ice cream on the last day if I want to. The 9th, last day I didn't really want it to be honest! I was afraid turning ice cream in big forbidden food that may lead to me over eating on it once my will power doesn't hold. So I went to my favourite ice cream place in the world, where a German family makes their ice cream daily. My goodness it was AMAZING! It tasted soo good. I had few bites of the 2 tastes I got and I left the rest. You know what, I didn't enjoy it regardless of the amazing taste! I had delicious and perfectly satisfying watermelon as my dessert and other amazing super tasty fruit grown locally at the island we were and it made me happier eating that way. I am glad I had little and I was able to stop. I view food enjoyability now about how happy I am after I finish my meal. I didn't eat entirely healthy, I had few drinks, pasta meal, sangria once in moderation but I felt that ice cream is just so high on food processing with hyperpalatable over sweet taste that I am more content with super tasty watermelon with more simple but still incredibly enjoyable.

Balance is a challenge and it's about food, exercise, sleep and rest including. As a recovering dieter I have often in the past over done it both ways - too much and too little with food and exercise and rest hasn't been high on my priority but it is very important long term.

I think last month there was my aha moment, where I decided to allow myself flexibility in exercise
I am active person and I regularly exercise - good and moderate for me
compared to I lift 3 times weekly in the gym - not good as sometimes I don't get the time or I need extra day to recover

Hopefully this helps me with sustainability

For some skipping ice cream or dessert may not be moderate behaviour but for me as they are so hyper enhanced and far from simplicity of natural taste I feel it's more moderate for me to give them a miss and focus on naturally sweet fruit I can enjoy

But I had Indian meal, pasta, even chips (French fries) once, small bit of fresh bread and butter on holiday and doesn't seem to send my taste buds so far on fire and can enjoy in moderation without any issues at all. For some people leaving half of their French fries may be challenge. It's personal and it changes as life changes

Moderation to me is behaviour consistent with goals, while allowing to still enjoy life including foods you love and enjoy.

Yes I do. Currently baby tomatoes and roasted chickpeas if I am out and about and not sure when will I get to have proper meal
Work days I bring in work breakfast piece of fruit (currently raspberries) and Greek yoghurt. We have fridges in work for personal use and sometimes I buy it from near work for the week and keep it there
Lunch currently salad with some protein as chicken. I have few tins of tuna left in work, and small store near me where I can get salad for emergencies when I don't have chance to bring something.
Winter depends but something that have at least 300 g veggies, lean protein and wholegrain rice or some potatoes.
Afternoon snack is changes but I eat something at 16:00 to avoid being too hungry when I get home.

Weekly check-in:

Worst week I've had since I've started and I have no idea why. Going back and looking at all my numbers and it doesn't really make sense. I started the month at 243 and the goal is to lose 14 lbs. Last Sunday I weighed in at 240 lbs - today I'm at 239.5. I lost .5 lbs this week. Overall I'm just 25% toward my goal.

I'm pretty pissed right now. I had so many opportunities to cheat this week food wise and I didn't once. Went to a couple graduation parties yesterday with tons of BBQ, desserts, and beer and all I had was bottled water. I didn't work this hard to only lose .5 lbs this week!!!

I'm due for a big drop - gonna go run and make it happen.

Weekly check-in:

Worst week I've had since I've started and I have no idea why. Going back and looking at all my numbers and it doesn't really make sense. I started the month at 243 and the goal is to lose 14 lbs. Last Sunday I weighed in at 240 lbs - today I'm at 239.5. I lost .5 lbs this week. Overall I'm just 25% toward my goal.

I'm pretty pissed right now. I had so many opportunities to cheat this week food wise and I didn't once. Went to a couple graduation parties yesterday with tons of BBQ, desserts, and beer and all I had was bottled water. I didn't work this hard to only lose .5 lbs this week!!!

Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat so if you have been working hard this week then perhaps you've lost fat but put on muscle (which is definitely not a bad thing!).

We are still in Japan - and it is time to talk about food again! Don't worry, I am not going to ask you for Japanese recipes!! Let#s talk about a typical Japanese food tradition though, that can be adapted for western fare: the Bento Box!

menu_item_image_175.jpg

The picture is from Tokyo Dining, one of the three restaurants in the Japan pavilion. They have a bento box on the menu and there it is a selection of different small plates - one could even think of it as Japanese tapas. However, generally the bento box is a food container packed at home or bought ready made for eating on the go. Or you could call it a fancy version of a lunch box!

I do try to pack my lunch for work. I work in a place that has too many food places to choose from. For awhile I was buying lunch almost every day. Since April when I got seriously about losing weight I started packing most days.

menu_item_image_175.jpg

I have the bento bowl that I got in Japan... I like to keep the protien separate when I take a salad then mix them when ready to eat. Now do I actually use it? Not lately and eating lunch "out" has been one of my downfalls lately, so I need to get back to taking my lunch. I looked at the other Bento boxes when I was just there but didn't get one and of course wish I had.

Over points again yesterday but much, much better on sugar consumption... The only sugar I had was in my Arnold Palmer at lunch, no candy or baked goods. It showed on the scale this morning, so woohoo!

Today I turn the dreaded 60, doesn't feel much different than 59 so I guess I'll be ok :). Nothing major planned, no cake that's for sure!

Last edited:
Weekly check-in:

I've been there! And it was just recently (April and May). It's very discouraging! Just keep doing what you are doing and things will even out!

Still fired up from my morning weigh in, but I know I'll see the results soon. I ended up doing a treadmill run (it's hot today - the reel feel temp here is 109 right now) and I ran 8 miles. I've never done more than 6+ in the past so I'm feeling good about that... the results will come.

I started packing my lunch instead of buying a school lunch two years ago. I just use one of my son's old zip up lunch boxes and put it in a fridge when I get to school.

I usually pack some sort of wrap, usually turkey with lettuce, tomato, and light mayo. I'll usually bring some sort of veggie or fruit, sometimes a greek yogurt cup, sometimes quaker popped rice snacks (they are awesome - lots of flavor). I tend to eat about 450 calories for lunch.

I have the bento bowl that I got in Japan... I like to keep the protien separate when I take a salad then mix them when ready to eat. Now do I actually use it? Not lately and eating lunch "out" has been one of my downfalls lately, so I need to get back to taking my lunch. I looked at the other Bento boxes when I was just there but didn't get one and of course wish I had.

Over points again yesterday but much, much better on sugar consumption... The only sugar I had was in my Arnold Palmer at lunch, no candy or baked goods. It showed on the scale this morning, so woohoo!

Today I turn the dreaded 60, doesn't feel much different than 59 so I guess I'll be ok :). Nothing major planned, no cake that's for sure!

Happly Birthday!

happybirthdaymm.gif

Question of the Day for June 11

We are moving on to our next country: Japan! The Japanese pavilion in Epcot has my overall favorite shop in all of Epcot: The Mitsukoshi Department Store can be found in a replica of the coronation and ceremonial halls of Japan's Imperial Palace. Named for the oldest department store in the world, the original store goes back three centuries. Here you can find anything from anime books to kimonos to the most interesting Japanese snacks (like dried fish and milk soda chewy candy).

DSC02641.jpg

More pictures of all the interesting offerings can be found here.

So, let's talk about shopping: Tell us about what was the best thing that you bought for your healthy living progress! Or tell us what you plan to buy in the future or what you would love to buy. Or even all three!

Okay the best thing I "bought" for healthy living was my gym membership. I say "bought" because I still pay for it. LOL I'd love a home gym but I had options that never got used before but if I had the space I'd do a whole room as a gym. Some other things I got to help was a reliable scale my old one was no consistent at all no matter how fresh my batteries were. Oh and my veggetti spiralizer tool. I've only used it a couple times for spaghetti but only had spaghetti a few times. I really like to cut down the noodles and I do half zoodles and half gluten free noodles. For plan to buy is a good food scale because I know I'll need to start having better measurements as I lose weight it will get slower/tougher.

My pulses QOTD made me pick a recipe with beans for today and I even did not use canned beans, but dried ones. I find those always taste better - and give you fewer of those side effects that can be caused by beans...

Saturday QOTD:
1) my kitchen scale. I am positive that without my constant weighing of nearly everything that enters my mouth at home is absolutely vital for my progress.

2) my fitbit. I know that it truly helps me to motivate me to move AND to monitor how much calories I burn with exercise. I NEED these extra calories in order to be able to eat them. I just don't have the willpower to eat very little. I need my little treats to keep me happy and this way I can count them and still get my deficit.

3) I am seriously considering getting a new scale, even though my current one works fine (even when it insists on showing me numbers that I do not want to see...). But I would love one that had more functions and/or could sync with my computer automatically, so no cheating on weight anymore.

You look amazing! What a wonderful dress, perfect for a summer wedding!

Great to see you!! You are always welcome to just pop in to chat without following any goal! We have missed you!

That sounds like great fun! I love water parks, but they are very rare in Germany (and then mainly indoors due to weather).

Congrats on 55% :) Wow I've watched a lot of water slide videos and a lot are in Germany when I see the location. Probably just spread out. In the US some are out doors. Lots in California, Arizona(where I'm at) and Florida. Some states have them indoors.

menu_item_image_175.jpg

Yes when I work out of home I am usually bringing a lunch. I do like the bento box ideas quite a bit. For a while I sent my daughter with lunches in this style. She liked it over hot lunches at school. For most of her years up to middle school she brought a lunch depending on the menu for school lunch.

All that resistance of food still counted - you didn't gain weight - I was similarly reminded of this by @Flossbolna recently

:bday: :rainbow:

I weighted myself this morning and I only gained 1 pound while on vacation. Might be a little less. I weighted myself with clothes on this time since I was the last on up today. I am very happy with this amount. We had the dining plan so tons of food. I did skip out on several desserts. And the ones I did get it got ice cream and only ate a few bits.

I hope you don't mind me joining in late but I am so off track these days. Did awesome Jan - Apr. But then we went on a cruise and struggled to get back at it. Stress and depression has been a battle these days but I am not giving up so tomorrow is another restart for me. There is alot that has been going on in this thread so not sure I can catch up but I will try to stay in the loop from now on. I weigh in on Fridays but I did my restart weigh in today so I faced the music and it was bad. My goal for the remainder of the month is to lose 6lbs. Thanks for letting me join in. MFP is @madamedisney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter