• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Healthy eaters in WDW

jm106

DIS Veteran
I know there are a few healthy eaters here:thumbsup2. I would love your tips and favs. We eat pretty healthy and I dont want to change that on vacation. I am happy to have some treats but overall, my body thanks me if I dont get too far from the norm.

Fresh A peel in DTD
chicken wrap or veggie burger at Pecos Bills
turkey wrap at Cosmic Rays
food from Tangerine Cafe
noodle dish from Kona
sushi from Yakitori House
alot at Sunshine Seasons

Pretty much every place has something healthy on the menu even CS, now they may be mostly salads but..

You gotta check out Tusker House at Animal Kingdom for lunch! Also try to hit up Sunshine Seasons, the Japan Pavilion and the Moroccan Pavilion at EPCOT; all of these have healthy options :). Boma over at AKL is pretty similar to Tusker House but it's still excellent. Also, remember, you can ask to modify any meal, anywhere- ask for the veggie sides and dressings on the side.

thanks. I have TH for breakfast but I also have Boma for dinner. good to know I can request veggie sides. I was beginning to worry.
Sushi is on my list for sure.
Do the buffet breakfasts have whole grain bread products?

thanks. I have TH for breakfast but I also have Boma for dinner. good to know I can request veggie sides. I was beginning to worry.
Sushi is on my list for sure.
Do the buffet breakfasts have whole grain bread products?

If the buffets don't ask you can always ask for something. Most of the breakfast restaurants offer granola, yogurt, and fruit, etc. Tusker house for breakfast, however, is not as "healthy" as lunch. Lunch has multiple healthy options that are unheard of in a traditional theme park setting (like Marrakech couscous, Vegetable samaosa, Spiced Tandoori Tofu, Jollaf rice, etc.), while the breakfast-though still good-offers a far more traditional menu.

And yes, at any counter service there is usually a substitute for fries on the menu. Another great option is to order off the kids menu; though it says for 10 and under they never ask and it is defiantly enough food to fill you up. You can get grapes, carrots, a main dish and a drink for 5 bucks! Can't beat it!

When you go to Sunshine Seasons be sure to look into the open fridges as they offer great healthy options not advertised on the menu. The Sushi is "ok" (pretty good for being in a Themepark) but all the rest of the Japanese food is excellent.

Hope that helps :)

I just double checked and TH has whole grain bread and veggie frittata and yougurt, fruit and oatmeal. I am assuming the buffets use the instant eggs for scrambled and not real eggs.
Now H & V is my other concern but again, I am sure there is something.

Because I'm a cardiac patient, I usually talk with a chef at each sit-down place. Based on what I need, they either recommend particular items on the menu, or, often as not, offer to make something specific for me.

I remember my first time at Boma after my MI, I had a great chef who kept whipping stuff up and bringing it to the table. We all shared them, and they were terrific. Almost didn't have room to eat the great stuff on the buffet line!

I like to eat healthy as well and most places at Disney have healthy options. Counter service wise the best place is Sunshine Seasons at Epcot. However, most counter service locations have salads. Table service wise, Boma and the Japan pavilion are great but similar to counter service all locations typically have some healthy options. To get a better idea look at the menus of Disney restaurants at allears.net.

Depends on what your idea of "healthy" is. For me it's low fat ...I found it quite easy to eat healthy while @ WDW actually. Ohana is one example. They grill the meats (chicken, sirloin i think, pork) and shrimp, salad is awesome there, steamed pot stickers, veggies...it was a great meal with nothing too heavy or fattening. I usually omit butter, cheese, mayo, dressings, etc. Really, your options are endless...pretzels = no fat, nuts= high protein, good fats, popcorn is another healthier snack option.

The Wave at the CR also has a lot of nice healthy but good options and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. :thumbsup2

Most of the restaurants will modify their menu items if you ask them to (some are more cooperative than others). If nothing else appeals to me I always figure out a way to pair up a piece of grilled chicken on a salad.;)

One of my favorite salads in WDW is served at, believe it or no, LTT lunch at the MK. It is called the Colony Salad. Get the cheese on the side (and the dressing on the side which is a homemade honey shallot and tastes "to die for") and you have nuts, fruit, lean protein and lettuce. I do add a pinch of the delicious smoked cheddar cheese just to add that flavor and it is DELISH and YUMMY!:goodvibes

Depends on what your idea of "healthy" is. For me it's low fat ...I found it quite easy to eat healthy while @ WDW actually. Ohana is one example. They grill the meats (chicken, sirloin i think, pork) and shrimp, salad is awesome there, steamed pot stickers, veggies...it was a great meal with nothing too heavy or fattening. I usually omit butter, cheese, mayo, dressings, etc. Really, your options are endless...pretzels = no fat, nuts= high protein, good fats, popcorn is another healthier snack option.

You are so right, I didnt clarify, Its so different for everyone.
I dont eat processed foods or HFCS at home very much, eat whole grains, lots of veggies and fresh fruit and balanced meals with a lean protien. Just as much whole foods as I can.
Great ideas everyone, taking notes

I wrote a blog about healthy offerings in Disney. I tried to do as much research as I could before my trip in 69 days! Hope this helps. I really try to eat organic as much as possible, and sometimes when that is unavailable I will do mostly gluten free. I've been on so many different types of eating plans while in Disney, and most of that is tracked in my blog!

http://tasteofwonderland.wordpress....in-disney-planning-meals-180-days-in-advance/

thank you so much! I was imagining I get what I get and didnt think to ask more into what they prepare.

Since your blog mentions Ohana, Do you happen to know What kinds of seasonings they use at Ohana(like MGS containing. I get migraines so I try to limit.)

i agree with foundinwonderland. we often like to order off the kids menu and get the grapes etc... for sit downs we like citricos, flying fish, and the wave in particular. at home we stick to mainly fish or chicken, high fiber, lots of fruits and veggies, and healthier based fats like olive oil so we look to follow the same when we're on vacation. we've been able to stick pretty close to that when we're at wdw at both quick service and table service venues. mainly we scan the menus on allears before we make our plans and stay away from the places that are all hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken nuggets.

I was really surprised at all the healthy choices. I went expecting to see "Fair food". Boy was I wrong... LOL I was acctually looking forward to getting some "junkfood"! popcorn:: We eat pretty healthy. My kids think that apples and yogart are dessert. :rotfl2: Homemade Cookies are an Awsome treat! :thumbsup2
But i was really happy with what i saw. Our kids deffinately got some treats, but for the most part we ate how we usually do. fruit and veggies , yogarts. These were great snack options for us! I was soo happy to see these at the resorts and ALL over the parks!!
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 2 thumbs up Disney!!

Someone mentioned the Wave

To be sure, the worst TS meal I've had at Disney was at the wave, however it WAS Superbowl Sunday so I get that it could have been something to do with it.

I ordered a wine flight
the brought out the wrong flight
a more expensive flight
and charged the more expensive flight
whatever. I really didn't want to ruin anyone's night. (especially my DB's) so I didn't mention it.

The food was ok. Not BAD but just ok. It was the first ADR of our trip. The rest were amazing so the Wave just was kind of sad once we went through the rest.

I'm vegetarian and some servers want to help me find what I can eat, some want to run away. At the Wave they ran away, at Sanaa, Raglan Road and Biegarten they came out and went out of the way to make me comfortable and really helped me out!

Most of the time at Disney they are amazing at helping me stay veg. usually I have to fight. At Disney, they are so helpful. :worship:

Disney is ready to handle ANY allergy or food sensitivity. They even told me if I didn't want my food cooked in canola oil they could switch to Olive Oil! The key is to definitely let them know. When you make your reservations, just put on there that you have an allergy, and perhaps even contact special diets and tell them specifically.

Even if you don't get around to doing that, just checking the box on the online reservation form will show them once you check in for your reservation that you have a special need. They will mark your ticket with a big fat red Allergy stamp, and give it to your server! It's fantastic the way they do everything!!

fortunatly, we dont have any allergies or real special needs I just prefer to avoid processed and MSG as much as we can. All of my ADR are booked already so Ill be sure to ask when I go about what they use when in question. I can handle some MSG but if I am already dealing with lack of sleep(I dont sleep well on vacation) and heat then I throw in a processed bunch of meals Ill be in for a migraine for sure.

I honestly don't think it's all that hard to avoid. I mean, you seem smart... Obviously a double bacon cheeseburger isn't what you're looking for. But at every place we ate, I saw something that was a healthier alternative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter