Heading back to Orlando after the cruise...

awinangie

Mouseketeer
I'm wondering about the best way to arrange our transportation back to Orlando after our upcoming cruise...

We're staying at Universal before and after the cruise, so we can't do the Disney transfers. Disney suggested Mears transportation, so I scheduled airport shuttles and a van to take us to the cruise.

However, we don't know when we're going to get off the boat. I don't want us to be in a situation where we've been rushed off the boat at 8:00, but our ride doesn't come until 9:30. But I also don't want to schedule a van at 8:00, only to find out we could have been a little more leisurely. We can't check in to our hotel at Universal until 4:00, after all.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Asha's Grateful Mom Angie

I'm wondering about the best way to arrange our transportation back to Orlando after our upcoming cruise...

We're staying at Universal before and after the cruise, so we can't do the Disney transfers. Disney suggested Mears transportation, so I scheduled airport shuttles and a van to take us to the cruise.

However, we don't know when we're going to get off the boat. I don't want us to be in a situation where we've been rushed off the boat at 8:00, but our ride doesn't come until 9:30. But I also don't want to schedule a van at 8:00, only to find out we could have been a little more leisurely. We can't check in to our hotel at Universal until 4:00, after all.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Asha's Grateful Mom Angie

Since you didn't indicate the length of the cruise, perhaps renting a car and parking at port would be cheaper than transportation from and back to Universal?

Last edited:
Not sure of the cost on this, but have you considered taking the DCL shuttle to MCO, then the hotel shuttle or a taxi to the hotel?

i would recommend contacting Mears and see what they recommend. When we used a different company in Miami they had a plan in place that worked perfectly. We were asked to call them once we had picked up our luggage and were on our way to go through customs. We did this and their shuttle arrived within 10 mins of us getting to the shuttle pickup area. I would think companies that deal with the cruise lines have a process in place.

If you are using a car service (Mears or any other) to go from the port to Orlando, I believe they just have you schedule a time that fits your plans as most of them are based in Orlando, not the Port Canaveral area so can't really "go with the flow" that morning (I'd also check to see what their policy is on waiting for you - so you know how much cushion you have to get off and through customs).

But I think might help you is some info on how things work the morning of disembarkation to understand when you should schedule the car. Doesn't sound like you are in a rush so you will have time to eat breakfast before leaving. The normal schedule is that the ship in docked and cleared by 7am and passengers can start leaving around that time. But they have 2 breakfast options -- Cabanas and the Main Dining Rooms. Cabanas you can go on your schedule but it is only open until 8 or 8:30 (can't remember at this moment) but you are asked to be out of your stateroom by 8. So if you go to Cabanas at 8 and take about 1/2 hour to eat, you'll be heading off the ship by 8:30, depending on crowds it can take 15-30 minutes to get off the ship, pick up luggage and get through customs. If you go to the Main Dining Room to have a last meal with your serving team, that is scheduled based on your dinner seating time. Early dinner gets early disembarkation breakfast (6:45/7 am seating) and late dinner gets late disembarkation breakfast (8/8:15). This usually takes 30-45 minutes depending on how long we linger. So again you can calculate when you might be heading off the ship.

Now there is not a lot going on that morning other than breakfast but factor in time if you have a photo package you'll be picking up that day or if you are planning on paying for your onboard account in cash and need to stand in that line for last payment. They don't start to move you off the ship until 9-9:30 so you could linger a little if you wanted

You could check into possibly doing two one-way car rentals through Hertz. I know you can pick up from Royal Pacific or Hard Rock, drop off at the Cape Canaveral location and they would shuttle you to the ship. Then you can do the reverse getting off the ship.

If you are using a car service (Mears or any other) to go from the port to Orlando, I believe they just have you schedule a time that fits your plans as most of them are based in Orlando, not the Port Canaveral area so can't really "go with the flow" that morning (I'd also check to see what their policy is on waiting for you - so you know how much cushion you have to get off and through customs).

This is right. They are used to all of this. If you tell them what time you plan to get off the ship, they will tell you what time they will arrive. They know customs can take longer or shorter.

If you want to stay on the ship until 9:00, do that. Mears won't mind.

One other thing, your room might not be ready until 4:00, but that doesn't mean you can't get there early. Check with the hotel. Many will at least watch your luggage for you so you can use the pool or whatever. Plus, you can at least check-in so that when your room is available, you are good to go. We didn't stay at Universal, but when we got off our cruise we got to our hotel around 11:00 AM and they sent us right up to our room, no problem. We were very pleasantly surprised!

The last time I did this, we rented a car to WDW. We took a shuttle to the Hertz rental car place and you can let them know when you're done with customs

I would rent a car.

We can't check in to our hotel at Universal until 4:00, after all.

I am making a huge assumption that you're staying onsite.

Just like at disney you can totally do the checkin process starting at 6am! If you're staying at an onsite resort that includes unlimited express pass, you do the checkin process, will get keycards, go to the kiosks to make your EPs, stash your bags with Bell Services (or if you're super-lucky take them to your room) and go hit the parks! If you're at Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls you'll skip the EP part, but can still stash bags and go hit the parks.

Rent a car from Avis or Budget. They will pick you up at the port and you can return it at MCO. It was a much less option for us. 5 people with tons of luggage fit easily into a minivan, and we had it the whole day for about $100. With 2 people we had a car for about $40.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter