Heading back down here where it's safe!!

dburg30

Ferb, I know what we're going to do today!
Since I haven't been to WDW for a while, going this OCT, thought I'd start getting a feel for what's changed etc.. So I headed towards the top of the forums.. Man, it's scary up there lol.. Think I'll just keep in this section where very rarely does it become negative :D :D

Yeah, everything is a special snowflake complaint up there. The Restaurant forum isn't terrible, but there's really nothing of value on the main board these days unless you want to read everyone b!+ching about stuff.

It really is a shame that those boards are not better moderated. If you can't share your experiences and advice in a positive way, you really should not be sharing at all.

You get attacked if you support Disney (on a Disney forum o_O).

I love in habiting the runDisney section of the board. I'll like reading other sections and even get sucked into reading some of the train wreck threads, but it's much more homey here. I do appreciate the positive and supportive nature of the folks who post here.

It really is a shame that those boards are not better moderated. If you can't share your experiences and advice in a positive way, you really should not be sharing at all.

You get attacked if you support Disney (on a Disney forum o_O).
Being a moderator I will say it's not always an easy job. Boards like the theme parks attractions and strategies board which is probably the most popular board has two moderators and they do a great job but the traffic that board sees is often a lot to deal with quickly and efficiently. You also have to remember that being a moderator is not our full time job nor do we get paid for it.

I visit a lot of the boards every day including the one I moderate. I also have gotten to know a lot of the moderators well since I've become one.

As a moderator you can't shut down a thread or member just because they are negative. The parks are ever changing and some people don't like that. Subjects like FP+ and magicbands were a hot issue for a long time. Then you have something like the the alligator attack which really took the parks, Disney community, and boards by storm. It affected nearly every board here in some way.

@rteetz Totally get it.. I was the founder of a rather large gaming guild about 10 years ago.. We spent a lot of time trying to come up with the 'line' that would get a thread closed or deleted. I know it's not easy, I know there are many people out there that will never be happy lol.. But it just gets tiresome reading them lol.. Especially when you are trying to find some actual information.. You folks do a really good job overall..

As a moderator you can't shut down a thread or member just because they are negative.
I agree with everything that you said except this. When a person is consistently negative they effect the board. People like that have driven off more positive posters. What was once a great board is now a hot mess and no longer worth the effort to find useful information about change.

I am a member of several boards that regulate that type of behavior very successfully. In their words, it isn't what you say but how you say it.

I agree with everything that you said except this. When a person is consistently negative they effect the board. People like that have driven off more positive posters. What was once a great board is now a hot mess and no longer worth the effort to find useful information about change.

I am a member of several boards that regulate that type of behavior very successfully. In their words, it isn't what you say but how you say it.
The boards do offer an ignore feature. If you find a negative person you can "ignore" them which hides their posts from your view. Unless a person breaks disboards guidelines I can't delete their posts just because they're negative. I don't make the rules I just enforce them. I might be bias in this but I don't think the boards are a hot mess. If they were actions would be taken. If you have a problem with a poster or a post there is also the report button please use it or message a moderator to talk about it.

The boards do offer an ignore feature. If you find a negative person you can "ignore" them which hides their posts from your view. Unless a person breaks disboards guidelines I can't delete their posts just because they're negative. I don't make the rules I just enforce them. I might be bias in this but I don't think the boards are a hot mess. If they were actions would be taken. If you have a problem with a poster or a post there is also the report button please use it or message a moderator to talk about it.
I know - not blaming the mods themselves but the board guidelines that they follow. And if I have to ignore 100+ posters, I would rather skip the board.

I know - not blaming the mods themselves but the board guidelines that they follow. And if I have to ignore 100+ posters, I would rather skip the board.
Like I said I visit a lot of the boards daily but I don't think there are 100+ posters that are regularly negative. Sure there are a few and I can name them but it's not overwhelming like that. I will say that yes the boards have gotten a bit more negative but I think that has to do with the big changes we've seen like cuts due to Shanghai, park neglect at Epcot, mymagic+, etc.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as defensive but I just don't want our moderators to get a bad rap and I certainly don't want a poster to feel invited to participate.

Like I said I visit a lot of the boards daily but I don't think there are 100+ posters that are regularly negative. Sure there are a few and I can name them but it's not overwhelming like that. I will say that yes the boards have gotten a bit more negative but I think that has to do with the big changes we've seen like cuts due to Shanghai, park neglect at Epcot, mymagic+, etc.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as defensive but I just don't want our moderators to get a bad rap and I certainly don't want a poster to feel invited to participate.
You are entitled to your opinion. I certainly don't think that you are being defensive for stating it. We can just agree to disagree on this item. :thumbsup2

I will second this! The Dis welcomes all opinions and experiences, whether they are positive or negative. Unfortunately, Disney is not always pixie dust and magic and we want our posts to be honest. If things get out of hand between guests that is when the mods have to step in. If you see something that is a problem please by all means report it so we can look into it. We may not always read each and every post on our board.

To the OP, if you are at all interested in cruising, be sure to check out the Cruise Board. The majority of posts there are on the positive side.

I watched the unfortunate event at the Grand Floridian unfold on the Rumors and News board. @rteetz , you did a great job moderating that horrible situation. With that being said, I was surprised how viscous it got in a few spots. I don't post as much as I used to, but I lurk a lot. The runDisney forum is home to some of the most inclusive and non-judgmental people I've seen on the Dis, or on any other social media platform for that matter.

I watched the unfortunate event at the Grand Floridian unfold on the Rumors and News board. @rteetz , you did a great job moderating that horrible situation. With that being said, I was surprised how viscous it got in a few spots. I don't post as much as I used to, but I lurk a lot. The runDisney forum is home to some of the most inclusive and non-judgmental people I've seen on the Dis, or on any other social media platform for that matter.
Thank you. It's unfortunate that threads about serious issues have to get like that.

I agree about the RunDisney forum it's a great place for people and everyone is very welcome.

I will say - since I put two specific posters on ignore (one is pretty much exclusive to News & Rumors, while the other would flit between News & Rumors and Restaurants), I've found my reading and enjoyment of those two boards to greatly increase.

Sure, people can have negative opinions. And that's fine. We're ALL consumers and it's our right as consumers to have opinions - positive or negative. I appreciate constructive negativity - tell me WHY you thought it was godawful, not just that you feel that way without any explanation or insight.

It's the special-snowflake "WHY IS DISNEY SCREWING ME?!?!?" posters and the rare few that are just unable to post anything other than know-it-all negativity and point out even the slightest failure that drive me nuts.

I will say - since I put two specific posters on ignore (one is pretty much exclusive to News & Rumors, while the other would flit between News & Rumors and Restaurants), I've found my reading and enjoyment of those two boards to greatly increase.

Sure, people can have negative opinions. And that's fine. We're ALL consumers and it's our right as consumers to have opinions - positive or negative. I appreciate constructive negativity - tell me WHY you thought it was godawful, not just that you feel that way without any explanation or insight.

It's the special-snowflake "WHY IS DISNEY SCREWING ME?!?!?" posters and the rare few that are just unable to post anything other than know-it-all negativity and point out even the slightest failure that drive me nuts.
I think I know who you're talking about too. People who are constantly negative and still go to Disney are what really boggle my mind. You still go yet can't say anything positive about the place so why go?

I think I know who you're talking about too. People who are constantly negative and still go to Disney are what really boggle my mind. You still go yet can't say anything positive about the place so why go?

Exactly - and I'm sure you do. Also the whole "I'm not giving Disney more $$ because stuff is out of control compared to when I used to go, but MAN ... let me weigh in on every move they make sight-unseen."

It's a beating, and it really does become a stop-down for what is normally productive conversation. Again - negative opinions are TOTALLY fine, but have actually experienced something IN PERSON (not watching the YouTube video or whatever) before you continuously chime in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter