Headed to the DLH this weekend... have some very specific questions

SOCALMouseMommy

DIS Veteran
We are headed to the Disneyland Hotel this Sunday for two nights. I am SOOOOOO excited as I have never stayed in a Disney hotel before nor have I even seen the inside of a Disney hotel. Our group is myself, my husband and my almost 3-year-old son, my mom and dad, and my brother, SIL and 4-year-old niece. We are celebrating grandma’s 66th birthday and it’s a total surprise for her (we’ve secretly been planning it since May). We are telling her this Friday at her surprise birthday dinner. My parents have never stayed at a Disney hotel either.

I have some very specific DLH questions that I was hoping someone could help me with:

1. I’m wondering what room/tower requests I should make. I definitely want a quiet room so my toddler can go to sleep at a decent hour. I’ve heard that DTD can be really loud with music playing late on weekends. Which towers are affected by this? Also, I’m not sure which bed arrangement is best for max space in the room. Usually we would ask for a king bed for us, but my son will be sleeping in a pack in play so I want to choose a room type that gives us the most room to set him up in this. Are king bed rooms smaller? Or would we actually have more floor space due to one less bed? If anyone has photos of rooms with one or two beds I would much appreciate it!

2. Originally we planned on swimming most of Sunday, but the forecast looks like rain and cold weather (65 degrees). Are the pools heated or should we just plan on skipping the pool?

3. What are some fun things to do around the hotel if we can’t hang at the pool? Do they have any special activities or are there areas where fun things are happening like wandering characters?

4. Are there fridges in the rooms? If so, do they stay decently cold? I would like to bring some milk, yogurt, fruit and cheese so we can have breakfast and snacks in the room.

5. Parking... We arrive Sunday morning and check out Tuesday morning but will go to the parks on Tuesday. Will we be paying for two days or three?

6. Where is the closest Starbucks in relation to the DLH? Is it the one in DTD? Does anyone know if you can use the Starbucks app to pre-order at this location?

7. Can we buy park tickets at the front desk of the hotel when we check in? If so, can we walk right up to the turn styles with those or do we have to go to the ticket booth first?

8. If we take the monorail into the park, it drops you off at Tomorrowland right? How do you handle strollers on the monorail?

Thank you in advance, I know it’s a lot of questions! I like to be prepared, especially when traveling with a large group.

How many nights do you have booked?

How many rooms and what type of rooms do you have booked?

4. Are there fridges in the rooms? If so, do they stay decently cold? I would like to bring some milk, yogurt, fruit and cheese so we can have breakfast and snacks in the room.

Yes there are small dorm size fridges in room...they can freeze milk if set too cold...been there

5. Parking... We arrive Sunday morning and check out Tuesday morning but will go to the parks on Tuesday. Will we be paying for two days or three?

You pay per night stayed, not days parked. You will pay for two nights parking for three day on site. FYI, you can check in as early as you want and park on check in day. you do not have to wait till check in time to arrive. If you are early and your room is not ready, they will hold your bags, check you in and text you when you room is ready. Same on check out. You do not need to leave the resort with your bags and car, you just need to be out of the room by check out time. You can park all day on both check in and check out day.

6. Where is the closest Starbucks in relation to the DLH? Is it the one in DTD? Does anyone know if you can use the Starbucks app to pre-order at this location?

There are two in DTD. DTD East and DTD West. The DTD West location is right by DLH near Ealr of Sandwich and both DTD can take mobile orders...in park locations do not however.

7. Can we buy park tickets at the front desk of the hotel when we check in? If so, can we walk right up to the turn styles with those or do we have to go to the ticket booth first?

Yes, the front desk of the resorts hotels also work as ticket booths and you can purchase tickets at check in and head right to the gates.

Yes there are small dorm size fridges in room...they can freeze milk if set too cold...been there

You pay per night stayed, not days parked. You will pay for two nights parking for three day on site.

There are two on DTD. DTD East and DTD West. The DTD West location is right by DLH near Ealr of Sandwich and both DTD can take mobile orders...in park locations do not however.

Yes, the front desk of the resorts hotels also work as ticket booths and you can purchase thickets at check in and head right to the gates.

Thank you, this is so helpful!

1. I’m wondering what room/tower requests I should make. I definitely want a quiet room so my toddler can go to sleep at a decent hour. I’ve heard that DTD can be really loud with music playing late on weekends. Which towers are affected by this? Also, I’m not sure which bed arrangement is best for max space in the room. Usually we would ask for a king bed for us, but my son will be sleeping in a pack in play so I want to choose a room type that gives us the most room to set him up in this. Are king bed rooms smaller? Or would we actually have more floor space due to one less bed? If anyone has photos of rooms with one or two beds I would much appreciate it!
We stayed in Frontier tower and it was very quiet - it seemed like we were the only people staying there.

As for room configurations, I would suggest specifically explaining that you want floor space for the pack'n'play. Based on photos, I think generally speaking either type of room will have space, but as we learned, there are individual room variations. The room we were in had two queen beds and it was much smaller than the ones we had seen photos of. I'm thinking the only way to fit a pack'n'play in there would be to ask if they could temporarily remove some furniture. We had a very difficult time making room for a wheelchair (our own fault, since we didn't request an accessible room). The room we had was right next to the elevators, and I've noticed since then if you look at the windows from the outside of the building, you can see that those windows are smaller. I'm not sure if all of these smaller rooms have the same configuration or not. So rather than making a specific bedding request, I would suggest explaining that what you're looking for is floor space.

We stayed in Frontier tower and it was very quiet - it seemed like we were the only people staying there.

As for room configurations, I would suggest specifically explaining that you want floor space for the pack'n'play. Based on photos, I think generally speaking either type of room will have space, but as we learned, there are individual room variations. The room we were in had two queen beds and it was much smaller than the ones we had seen photos of. I'm thinking the only way to fit a pack'n'play in there would be to ask if they could temporarily remove some furniture. We had a very difficult time making room for a wheelchair (our own fault, since we didn't request an accessible room). The room we had was right next to the elevators, and I've noticed since then if you look at the windows from the outside of the building, you can see that those windows are smaller. I'm not sure if all of these smaller rooms have the same configuration or not. So rather than making a specific bedding request, I would suggest explaining that what you're looking for is floor space.

Thank you very much for sharing this information. Is this type of request something I should do upon check in, or should I call ahead and make the request before we arrive?

Thank you very much for sharing this information. Is this type of request something I should do upon check in, or should I call ahead and make the request before we arrive?
I would do both. We made a request for a king bed in the comments when we booked online, and when we arrived they were already aware of our request without us having to remind them (they weren't able to accommodate in our case though). I would call ahead and ask them to make a note on your reservation, but I would also mention it when checking in if they don't bring it up.

I would do both. We made a request for a king bed in the comments when we booked online, and when we arrived they were already aware of our request without us having to remind them (they weren't able to accommodate in our case though). I would call ahead and ask them to make a note on your reservation, but I would also mention it when checking in if they don't bring it up.

Thanks. Do you think I could also try to link our reservations so we could try to get in the same tower? We all booked separately.

Thanks. Do you think I could also try to link our reservations so we could try to get in the same tower? We all booked separately.
We only had the one room so I don't have experience with this specifically, but when you call to make your room request you can ask about that. I would imagine that's a common request. Maybe also let them know which is a higher priority for you - having the extra floor space, or having rooms close to each other - in case they can't manage both.

Hmmmmmm... so weird. I tried looking up my reservation through my profile on the website and it says it's not a valid confirmation number. I better call and find out what's going on.

Yes, the monorail drops you in Tomorrowland, right above the Nemo subs. I think you can roll a stroller on but I'm not certain.

The pool are heated, but not sure how it will feel to get out of them in cold/rainy. The pool bathhouses do have enough room to change there if you don't want to drip back to your room.

PHXscuba

Yes, the monorail drops you in Tomorrowland, right above the Nemo subs. I think you can roll a stroller on but I'm not certain.
I just remembered that I saw people using the monorail with strollers just yesterday. They brought out a ramp for them to use to load on and off. I got the impression that there was a possibility of having to wait longer if there wasn't enough room on the monorail for the number of strollers waiting (I saw them counting the strollers and then telling the parents that there was enough space for all of them).

Turn
I just remembered that I saw people using the monorail with strollers just yesterday. They brought out a ramp for them to use to load on and off. I got the impression that there was a possibility of having to wait longer if there wasn't enough room on the monorail for the number of strollers waiting (I saw them counting the strollers and then telling the parents that there was enough space for all of them).

Very interesting. I wonder if there is one car that accommodates the strollers. We will definitely check it out.

...Also, I’m not sure which bed arrangement is best for max space in the room. Usually we would ask for a king bed for us, but my son will be sleeping in a pack in play so I want to choose a room type that gives us the most room to set him up in this. Are king bed rooms smaller? Or would we actually have more floor space due to one less bed? If anyone has photos of rooms with one or two beds I would much appreciate it!
A king bed room will have more open floor space, likely with a foldout couch and coffee table. You should specifically ask to NOT get a "small" king room, which are much smaller than regular rooms.

A king bed room will have more open floor space, likely with a foldout couch and coffee table. You should specifically ask to NOT get a "small" king room, which are much smaller than regular rooms.

So I called today and spoke to a CM. Linked all of our reservations with a request that we be near each other if possible. I also requested a king bed for our room. I mentioned that I have heard that some king rooms are smaller than others and I was told no, they are all the same size within a few feet. I will talk to someone again when we check in and ask again about a "larger" king room.

Last edited:
I stayed at DLH in July and was able to use my Starbucks app to pre-order at both DTD locations—super convenient to grab coffee and food on way into the park with zero wait. (There’s a small one just after you pass security to enter DTD from DLH, VERY close to DLH and the other is larger and next to GCH also in DTD).

You have to fold strollers on the monorail. It one was rolled on, it was being used as a wheelchair and marked accordingly. They are very strict about folding up the strollers on both the monorail and train.

Looks like your other questions got answered. Have a great trip!

You have to fold strollers on the monorail. It one was rolled on, it was being used as a wheelchair and marked accordingly. They are very strict about folding up the strollers on both the monorail and train.

Looks like your other questions got answered. Have a great trip!

Thank you! Ours is kind of hard to fold so maybe we will skip it.

I am still wondering what we should do on a rainy day at the hotel...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter