• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hawaiian chicken wing recipe

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
After reading all about holiday dinners, I was reminded of the chicken wings my mom used to make. She got a recipe from a friends when I was a kid for Hawaiian chicken wings. I know the marinade had soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and the Italian dressing packets. They were delicious. She made them for years on Christmas and everyone loved them. Unfortunately, she stopped cooking a while ago due to health issues and when I ask her how to make them she has no clue.

Any ever make chicken wings with a marinade using these ingredients? Would love to make them again this weekend.

I have not had the wings you mention, but the honey coriander wing recipe that they serve at the Polynesian might be a good alternative if you can't find exactly what you're looking for. We have made them many times and are doing a tiki- themed Christmas this year so that sauce is definitely on the menu.

My husband has never met a wing he hasn't liked, so I asked him if he was familiar with these but he said it didn't ring a bell. Several recipes on line though, perhaps look thru those and see if any look similar to what your Mother made?
We are actually having wings on the 24th - I may add this to the rotation!

Don't have a specific recipe but I have seen a LOT of bottled marinades in the grocery store usually in the salad dressing aisle. Maybe one of those is the flavor you are looking for? Wouldn't surprise me to find that various restaurants use those products to reduce the amount of prep work in their kitchen.

Soy sauce tends to be very salty and if you use too much it can overpower whatever you are making. I think the ratio of the various ingredients would probably make a huge difference in the result.

I have a really good teriyaki marinade mixture.
I don’t remember exact amounts, but play it by ear.

soy sauce
brown sugar
garlic
orange juice
eta: ginger

Narinate the meat overnight, then grill.
Simple and good.

Last edited:

Check out recipes for huli huli chicken, famous in Hawaii. Brown sugar, ginger, pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, sometimes all or some are part of the glaze/sauce ingredients.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely have to do some test runs with all the recipes. I definitely know it had soy sauce (a little bit) and teriyaki sauce. I believe the original recipe had a whole package of Italian dressing dry mix but my mom never used it all. My mom is coming to my house for Xmas so I’ll see if she remembers anything else. I’ve asked her a few times over the last few years but it’s almost like she forgot she ever made them.

They were similar to Ohana wings (I haven’t been to Kona yet) but better. They were darker and stickier. She would always bring them if we went to a get together and they were always a big hit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter