Hawaiian Air extra comfort.

Timothy02359

Mouseketeer
Will be booking flight from Boston to HNL, have never flown Hawaiian Air. Is the comfort class worth the purchase price? Thanks.

I have booked comfort class twice. The first time was HNL to Portland, OR. At that time, it made sense because it was an overnight flight and I was travelling alone. I wanted the additional space and the pillow and blanket. And the entertainment package.

The second time was actually just a month ago from Long Beach to HNL. Not sure I would say that was worth the extra $$. The only benefit was the extra space. I was actually not happy that I had purchased it when I got to the airport and found out the plane did not have the seatback entertainment. It was a new plane, and they expect you to have your own tablet or use your phone. Plus no blankets on that flight either. Very strange...When I asked she said they no longer hand those out. That plane had the 3 seats on each side of the aisle configuration, and I had booked us the seats immediately behind the emergency exit row, so there was no seat in the emergency exit row next to the window. So I had PLENTY of space to stretch my legs.

I live in Pittsburgh, and we actually took the HNL to BOS flight coming home. Depending on your seat location, I don't know that I would pay the extra for comfort class. My mom and I were on the 2 seat side with the 2-4-2 configuration, and I thought it was fine. Ironically enough, there were blankets and pillows on every seat when we boarded! I am only 5'4", though, so read into that what you will. Since the upcharge price is based on distance, I would really think twice about paying the extra. Also would depend how many are in your party. My mom and I were fine with it because it also makes a difference when the only person you have to bug when you want to get up is someone you are travelling with. So awkward trying to climb over/around strangers in the tight confines of a plane! Oh, yeah, and we found there was plenty of overhead storage so boarding later in the game didn't really matter.

I have to say, even once Southwest starts flying to HI, I will probably still try to book flights that include wither Hawaiian or Alaskan. I just really enjoy them for the longer distances...

ETA: Also, remember to take your own headset or you will be given the opportunity to purchase one :)

Last edited:
Will be booking flight from Boston to HNL, have never flown Hawaiian Air. Is the comfort class worth the purchase price? Thanks.

Unfortunately, my experience flying Hawaiian Airlines thus far has been while island hopping flying first class. Given that it’s a 45 minute flight, I’ve never been really impressed by the level of service on the flight for those of us in first class and that has kept me from flying them for longer flights. However, I have flown Delta Economy Comfort+ before. What I liked was the extra legroom and early boarding position. The other perks(food, drinks, etc) weren’t more frequent than what economy class got, so I didn’t feel it was worth the extra money unless I was getting the upgrade for free.

In looking on Hawaiian’s website, it appears that some of the perks for extra comfort are dependent on the type of plane you are on. If you haven’t done so already, try googling reviews on Hawaiian Airlines flights from Boston to HNL in extra comfort. That should give you a good idea of what the experience will be like. Having flown economy, comfort+, and first class, IMO the basic thing that separates these classes is your boarding position and seat size/legroom. There’s also a big difference in the food(frequency and quality), but that may not matter to you. You just have to decide if want to pay extra for the perks they list.

Depending on your seat location, I don't know that I would pay the extra for comfort class. My mom and I were on the 2 seat side with the 2-4-2 configuration, and I thought it was fine.

Agree with this. We flew Delta with this same seat configuration, and based on that alone, we found it was sufficient. I can't speak to the differing amenities with Hawaiian, but on Delta, all the seatback entertainment and meals were the same across all fare classes. The only differences between Comfort+ and standard economy were a couple extra inches of leg room, seats closer to the front of the plane allowing a faster exit upon landing, and boarding second (after first class, before economy) allowing for more overhead bin space. None of that was worth the extra $500+ as it was in our case.

I recommend the upgrade if flying on an Airbus 330 or similar. LAX to HNL uses that plane and the extra comfort costs an extra $80 per person one way. You get extra legroom and access to the entertainment pack plus early boarding.

I recommend the upgrade if flying on an Airbus 330 or similar. LAX to HNL uses that plane and the extra comfort costs an extra $80 per person one way. You get extra legroom and access to the entertainment pack plus early boarding.

The OP is flying from Boston so I believe the cost to upgrade would be significantly more. Its usually priced based on distance/flight time, so the long haul flights are more.

Also, if they are flying the Airbus 330, I would say to check out the seat configurations before upgrading. We flew the Airbus 330 on Delta with the 2-4-2 seat configuration and having our own row of 2 really helped to offset that we didn't have that couple inches of legroom. It was very manageable for us.

We just flew Hawaiian Back to LAX and had extra comfort. The leg room was good the seat comfort was horrible. The seats on our Southwest flight to Chicago were so much more comfortable. We were very disappointed with the lack of comfort in extra comfort. We did get a blanket and media player.

We just flew Hawaiian Back to LAX and had extra comfort. The leg room was good the seat comfort was horrible. The seats on our Southwest flight to Chicago were so much more comfortable. We were very disappointed with the lack of comfort in extra comfort. We did get a blanket and media player.
Was the seat hard?

The OP is flying from Boston so I believe the cost to upgrade would be significantly more. Its usually priced based on distance/flight time, so the long haul flights are more.

Also, if they are flying the Airbus 330, I would say to check out the seat configurations before upgrading. We flew the Airbus 330 on Delta with the 2-4-2 seat configuration and having our own row of 2 really helped to offset that we didn't have that couple inches of legroom. It was very manageable for us.
Yes, The price difference per person for comfort class is around 300$ ea. (just my wife and myself going).

We’re trying to decide if it’s worth it too..we’ll be flying Delta from Hilton Head to Atlanta then straight to Honolulu... we’ve done it several times and it is a long uncomfortable flight. So thinking of splurging on comfort + and hoping it’s worth it.

We flew NYC to Honolulu, chose not to get extra comfort. we loved our experience and didn't think it would be any better with extra comfort.

We’re trying to decide if it’s worth it too..we’ll be flying Delta from Hilton Head to Atlanta then straight to Honolulu... we’ve done it several times and it is a long uncomfortable flight. So thinking of splurging on comfort + and hoping it’s worth it.

We flew the Delta to Honolulu flight in an Airbus 330 this past February and paid extra for the Delta Comfort seats. Money Well Spent !

The best answer to your question might depend on how wide or tall the biggest person in your party is. It's painful spending hours trapped in a seat where your thighs are squashed between armrests or your upper legs are longer than the available space. But the same seat can be fine for folks with smaller dimensions. If you want to get technical about making the decision, there are websites available that provide seat specs for the major airlines and aircraft.

The best answer to your question might depend on how wide or tall the biggest person in your party is. It's painful spending hours trapped in a seat where your thighs are squashed between armrests or your upper legs are longer than the available space. But the same seat can be fine for folks with smaller dimensions. If you want to get technical about making the decision, there are websites available that provide seat specs for the major airlines and aircraft.
So true....and your age matters too! We are seniors and have lots of aches and pains.

Also remember that your plane can actually be changed at any time, so the class you pay for might still no end up being what you get, and I doubt you get refunded for that. Our plane home got swapped and we had crappy old seat back entertainment (but at least we had some!). Just make sure you understand the potential before you spend the money.

Also remember that your plane can actually be changed at any time, so the class you pay for might still no end up being what you get, and I doubt you get refunded for that. Our plane home got swapped and we had crappy old seat back entertainment (but at least we had some!). Just make sure you understand the potential before you spend the money.

You hat doesn’t seem fair when I oh pay extra for it!

You hat doesn’t seem fair when I oh pay extra for it!
What I mean is that, as others have said, the amenities of the equivalent “classes” ca be different on different planes. So if you get swapped to one of those, I think it’s just considered bad luck. I agree it would stink!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter