Hawaii Tourism Not Starting Up Until Late Summer

So here is a question I would love to know the answer of: If you arrive on the last day of the mandated 14 day quarantine period....do you quarantine for 24 hours or 14 days?

Scenerio: you arrive on July 31st and the quarantine window is no longer enforced on August 1st.

If anyone gets insight on how that would really work, please comment.

So here is a question I would love to know the answer of: If you arrive on the last day of the mandated 14 day quarantine period....do you quarantine for 24 hours or 14 days?

Scenerio: you arrive on July 31st and the quarantine window is no longer enforced on August 1st.

If anyone gets insight on how that would really work, please comment.
If you arrive on July 31, you get a 14 day quarantine (or the duration of your stay, whichever is shorter).

(For now) If you arrive on Aug. 1, go enjoy your vacation!

This is why hotels likely won't open until the order is lifted... they don't want to have to enforce this policy (and no one will go there while it's in effect).

I can grasp the quarantine extension but they need to speed ahead with the exception protocol, whatever it may be.

Testing me and my family is fine for me. I would never want to be an asymptomatic carrier and bring it to the islands. Heck, even test me again on arrival and force me to quarantine for 2 days pending those results.

Just give us something reasonable to consider.

Saving lives vs livelihoods. So far the Hawaiian government is at the extreme end of the spectrum.

Not a lot of livelihoods needed to be saved at this point, since tourism workers receive enhanced federal unemployment. Of course, small business owners are decimated. But the government don't seem to care about them.

Most state leadership seemed to have figured out that the virus spread can't really be stopped, and the economy cannot be shut down indefinitely until a vaccine is developed. Part of the time bought at enormous cost to the economy was in building temporary surge hospital capacity. And that's for states that's not even dependent on tourism.

So far the time bought from shutting down the Hawaiian economy seemed to be spent on bureaucratic theoretical debate on risk. For a state that's dependent on tourism, they sure are taking their sweet time debating (not even executing) on a way to allow people to visit. It'd be laughable if it weren't so tragic.

Hawaii is one of very few states doing quite well with covid.....so what they are trying to accomplishing is working...hard to argue that.

Things may change when subsidies change and the local pocketbooks start really hurting to start forcing open tourism channels. But it's not there yet.

From other states opening up early...they are seeing 2nd peak and straining the health systems. If anyone has been to Hawaii and had to access healthcare.... It's not much to put a strain on it.

Hawaii is one of very few states doing quite well with covid.....so what they are trying to accomplishing is working...hard to argue that.

Things may change when subsidies change and the local pocketbooks start really hurting to start forcing open tourism channels. But it's not there yet.

From other states opening up early...they are seeing 2nd peak and straining the health systems. If anyone has been to Hawaii and had to access healthcare.... It's not much to put a strain on it.

No one is arguing that they didn't accomplish stamping down COVID. What we are saying is that once that mission was accomplished they should have began pivoting to start saving livelihoods next. Instead they just sat back and let all the businesses struggling to hang on in limbo without giving any clear direction or timelines so that they could plan appropriately. Now you are starting to see what that period of inaction is creating. The government in my opinion was short sighted thinking they could stall until July 31st because all the unemployed had an extra $600. What they don't seem to realize or care is that small businesses can't wait until July 31st. The PPP money helps, but it will only buffer you for a short while. You have a window of opportunity to make as much money as possible once things open up due to the pent up demand, but eventually the demand will decrease because COVID still exist so consumer confidence is still low. So the money that you made during that window along with the PPP money will now help a small business weather the storm until this all passes over which could take a year or so.

Hawaii is a tourist industry and right now there is pent up demand for vacationing this summer, however if Hawaii isn't opened up in time for peak vacation season then that pent up demand will be spent elsewhere. So now Hawaii small businesses basically spent all their PPP money just to pay the bills and their employees while things are still shut down making them no revenue, they miss out on peak vacationing season, and if they do eventually open up it will be during low season with alot less business and you can see how it is now game over for the Hawaiian economy as more and more small business shut their doors for good. And all those people that were getting unemployment until July 31st will now not have a job to go back to. This will then cause a domino effect as this will drain what little the Hawaii government has for unemployment insurance causing them to borrow more money, which will then cause them to eventually have to cut jobs which would then take even more money out of the Hawaii economy which would then further kill more businesses which would then reduce tax collection which would lead to more job losses which would then.....so on and so on.

Things will only get worse for the people of Hawaii not better if you can not learn to live with COVID. The curve was flat sometime in mid April, and Hawaii should have had a plan ready by that point to be implemented within the next few weeks. Instead it's now two months later and there is still no plan, no direction, no answers, and more promises of things that they are working on and told us about since months ago but when the heck are they actually going to implement it? They keep talking about this increase testing and contact tracing nonstop for months, but have they done it? Nope still nothing, and now this new plan is more of the same. All talk with no action until it is too late.

No one is arguing that they didn't accomplish stamping down COVID. What we are saying is that once that mission was accomplished they should have began pivoting to start saving livelihoods next. Instead they just sat back and let all the businesses struggling to hang on in limbo without giving any clear direction or timelines so that they could plan appropriately. Now you are starting to see what that period of inaction is creating. The government in my opinion was short sighted thinking they could stall until July 31st because all the unemployed had an extra $600. What they don't seem to realize or care is that small businesses can't wait until July 31st. The PPP money helps, but it will only buffer you for a short while. You have a window of opportunity to make as much money as possible once things open up due to the pent up demand, but eventually the demand will decrease because COVID still exist so consumer confidence is still low. So the money that you made during that window along with the PPP money will now help a small business weather the storm until this all passes over which could take a year or so.

Hawaii is a tourist industry and right now there is pent up demand for vacationing this summer, however if Hawaii isn't opened up in time for peak vacation season then that pent up demand will be spent elsewhere. So now Hawaii small businesses basically spent all their PPP money just to pay the bills and their employees while things are still shut down making them no revenue, they miss out on peak vacationing season, and if they do eventually open up it will be during low season with alot less business and you can see how it is now game over for the Hawaiian economy as more and more small business shut their doors for good. And all those people that were getting unemployment until July 31st will now not have a job to go back to. This will then cause a domino effect as this will drain what little the Hawaii government has for unemployment insurance causing them to borrow more money, which will then cause them to eventually have to cut jobs which would then take even more money out of the Hawaii economy which would then further kill more businesses which would then reduce tax collection which would lead to more job losses which would then.....so on and so on.

Things will only get worse for the people of Hawaii not better if you can not learn to live with COVID. The curve was flat sometime in mid April, and Hawaii should have had a plan ready by that point to be implemented within the next few weeks. Instead it's now two months later and there is still no plan, no direction, no answers, and more promises of things that they are working on and told us about since months ago but when the heck are they actually going to implement it? They keep talking about this increase testing and contact tracing nonstop for months, but have they done it? Nope still nothing, and now this new plan is more of the same. All talk with no action until it is too late.

I agree. The whole situation is a mess and it'll be a bloodbath for the Hawaiian economy for years to come.

You can only go unemployed for so long even with the government stimulus. Personally I believe that there won't even be jobs for them to come back to if this extends into the summer. Alot of small businesses will probably go under. The government stimulus has a caveat that you have to use the money within 8 weeks after receiving it and 75% of it must go towards payroll in order for 75% of the total loan is forgiven. I got my PPP money early this week, so in a way I'm kind of lucky for not getting it during the first round when my state was on lock down. My business will be open this week so I can actually use that stimulus money for what it is intended for which is my employees. For the small businesses in Hawaii I feel sorry for them. You can't delay receipt of the money, so the 8 week clock begins as soon as you have received it. Since their businesses are closed they can't really pay their employees with it, so all they can do is pay for the rent and utilities with that money. However since 75% of that isn't going towards payroll you will eventually have to pay all that money back so a small business is just digging themselves into another debt hole.

You can give people a paycheck with that money even if your business isn’t open. In fact, I thought that was the whole point.

No one is arguing that they didn't accomplish stamping down COVID. What we are saying is that once that mission was accomplished they should have began pivoting to start saving livelihoods next.
All talk with no action until it is too late.
The testing and tracing actually is working. My frustration like yours is that they haven't been scaled for tourism influx and that's their miscue. Instead they are looking for solutions outside of Hawaii -- pretesting and lower COVID rates from outside to allow onto the islands.

People still can visit Hawaii. It's just a robust quarantine time. If we had 2 months to blow for the summer, we would consider it as a rental unit probably can be had for a song right now.

We canceled our first week and still keeping Aug1-10 for now but already have DLR plans in place for end of Aug to get our disney fix. Will be happy to get back to the islands when they decide it's right for them to reopen.

I think what he is referring to is that the CARE act money runs out mid July and people will start getting antsy to get back to work?
I understand!
We have a vacation planned for Aulani in late July. I wish that a) the governor would offer more specific guidance instead of just saying he is extending the quarantine past June 30th, and b) that the policies of their major air carrier which transports tourists into the state, Hawaiian Airlines, would match the wants of the governor and the people of the state.

I am concerned our trip will fall in this weird administrative limbo where the people of the state won't want me there, but things will be officially 'open' although limited. Where if I don't want to go I don't get my money back. I have tried getting a refund from HA and of course they aren't willing to give my money back at this point, just a credit. But who knows what the value of that credit will be in the future, will they go bankrupt, will fares go up drastically in an attempt to save their business? So the only certain thing right now is it appears that I will be giving HA an interest-free loan going into the future...
This was most definitely my concern regarding refunds and HA. I did get a refund (our trip was supposed to be May 25-June 1), I had to push to get it. Incidently, my refund came about 3 days after it being granted.
Here's my dilemma. I'm scheduled to go July 10th and I borrowed all my points (200) from 2021 for this trip. If I cancel now before the quarantine is extended will all my points stay in 2020? I have a Feb use year. I caught a break over the weekend when United canceled my direct flights from Newark to Honolulu and rescheduled me on connecting flights so per the FAA if I request a refund they have to honor it. I want to book a different vacation but I'm in this lousy holding pattern because Gov Ige won't give us some more definitive guidance. The longer I wait to book something else, my options (non-Disney) dry up or go up in price. I can take the gamble and book another vacation hoping Disney has to cancel me if the quarantine is extended which will return my points into the use years they came from but it would be several thousand dollars I could lose. Thanks for any feedback!
I thought if you borrowed points from the next year those points would be returned to that year....however, as in our case, we borrowed from our April Use year. If we wanted to reschedule for Feb 2021 we would only have been able to borrow 50% of those points. This caused me to postpone our trip to May 2021, exactly a year from our original date. However, now I am thinking we will either take a cruise in the fall of 2021 or go back to Europe instead.
https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/06/experts-test-passengers-to-reopen-hawaii-tourism/
This is an interview today or yesterday with the lieutenant governor. Looks like July 15 reopen is a likely scenario. Gotta get tested at a designated CVS a couple days before departure, temperature screen at arrival to the airport, contact tracing forms filled out and on record In case they need to find you. If you do that then no mandatory 14 day quarantine. That’s the system a lot of Asian countries currently use.

So, if they have been negotiating with CVS to put an infrastructure in place, maybe they are not as incompetent as previously thought. Anyways will look forward to announcements next week.
I'm assuming these tests would be checking for antibodies or actual virus? Antibody testing hasn't proven to be very accurate at this point.

They would be direct virus tests. Also less than great but better than nothing. Using a commercial vendor adds a perceived layer of uniformity.

There are different labs and operator differences and we’ve had patients test negative but then positive on repeat. If the swab didn’t make you want to kill the tester, they didn’t do it right. It needs to really get into your nasopharynx to be accurate.

The standard Viaral Covid PCR tests are pretty accurate but the rapid test run between 15-20% false negatives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter