Hawaii Tourism Not Starting Up Until Late Summer

We have a vacation planned for Aulani in late July. I wish that a) the governor would offer more specific guidance instead of just saying he is extending the quarantine past June 30th, and b) that the policies of their major air carrier which transports tourists into the state, Hawaiian Airlines, would match the wants of the governor and the people of the state.

I feel for you. We are supposed to be at Aulani on June 26 and Hilton Hawaiian Village on July 1 and neither of them have cancelled. Aulani is a given at this point and HHV is pretty likely. But I agree. It's all about waiting on the governor to make a decision. He knows what he wants to do so he needs to just do it and put us out of our misery. You can't keep giving 15 days notice to hotels and travelers. Everyone needs time to get ready for whatever that decision is. And the airlines are in a waiting game, as well. Because if hotels do open then they don't want to cancel the flights. But if they don't, then they need to plan accordingly.

I am trying to make a tentative booking for August 1 but my son goes back to school on Aug 11 (maybe???) so I am running out of time. The only reason I want to take this trip is because I am happy sitting on my lanai staring at the ocean for 10 days. I am tired of staring at my street. But if I could find a reasonable alternative, I would cancel right now and go someplace else. Unfortunately, all of my trips are paid on vacation points so that limits my options. I am fine with the trip being cancelled (though I would be very disappointed) I just want someone to tell me so I can move on.

We have a vacation planned for Aulani in late July. I wish that a) the governor would offer more specific guidance instead of just saying he is extending the quarantine past June 30th, and b) that the policies of their major air carrier which transports tourists into the state, Hawaiian Airlines, would match the wants of the governor and the people of the state.

I am concerned our trip will fall in this weird administrative limbo where the people of the state won't want me there, but things will be officially 'open' although limited. Where if I don't want to go I don't get my money back. I have tried getting a refund from HA and of course they aren't willing to give my money back at this point, just a credit. But who knows what the value of that credit will be in the future, will they go bankrupt, will fares go up drastically in an attempt to save their business? So the only certain thing right now is it appears that I will be giving HA an interest-free loan going into the future...

I feel your pain as we have/had a trip to Kauai leaving arriving August 1st. We have cancelled our timeshare but still holding the flights in hopes Alaska has to cancel. Yes, they are issuing credits but I would rather be able to push for a refund.

I am concerned our trip will fall in this weird administrative limbo where the people of the state won't want me there, but things will be officially 'open' although limited. Where if I don't want to go I don't get my money back. I have tried getting a refund from HA and of course they aren't willing to give my money back at this point, just a credit. But who knows what the value of that credit will be in the future, will they go bankrupt, will fares go up drastically in an attempt to save their business? So the only certain thing right now is it appears that I will be giving HA an interest-free loan going into the future...

If you haven't opted for the credit for future travel yet, you can try to wait it out. Hawaiian Airlines recently had a class action lawsuit filed against them for not refunding money on cancelled flights. If the flight you are on gets cancelled they have to refund you your money. It's an order from the DOT. I'm guessing the airlines will do anything and everything to try to make you believe that you can only get a future travel credit because of course they want to keep your money. Also for what it's worth I've found an article saying Hawaiian has clearance to keep many flights from the mainland suspended until the end of September. Article is linked below, info on that is towards the bottom of the article.

https://www.samoanews.com/local-new...-airs-requests-suspend-most-out-state-flights

If you haven't opted for the credit for future travel yet, you can try to wait it out. Hawaiian Airlines recently had a class action lawsuit filed against them for not refunding money on cancelled flights. If the flight you are on gets cancelled they have to refund you your money. It's an order from the DOT. I'm guessing the airlines will do anything and everything to try to make you believe that you can only get a future travel credit because of course they want to keep your money. Also for what it's worth I've found an article saying Hawaiian has clearance to keep many flights from the mainland suspended until the end of September. Article is linked below, info on that is towards the bottom of the article.

https://www.samoanews.com/local-new...-airs-requests-suspend-most-out-state-flights

Hawaiian Airlines’ back end IT is run by goats, literally my electronic request for a refund from a cancelled flight got turned into an email that someone had to look at.

I had to badger them a bit on Twitter where they claimed it would take “1-2 billing cycles to show up” which may have been true in 1980. 5 days later, refunds appear.

For that reason, my upcoming trip in November is booked on Southwest Airlines. If I have to cancel, at least I can parcel out the credits and fly to Disneyland a few times.

I’m not tying up anymore money on HA until I’m >95% sure my flight will not be interrupted.

I love them as an airline but sometimes/a lot of times they make it really hard for me to love them.

We have a trip planned for late July. If there is no quarantine, we will probably go for like 1.5 months, until the kids start school again.

So I have been tracking Hawaii's plan to re-open to tourism, or lack there of. A couple days ago I saw a plan presented by their politicians. They were talking about the need to change the economy to be less depending on tourism, and want to attract tech and finance companies to go there.

I mean, no $hit Sherlock, it's great if you can diversify in the long run, but maybe figure out your 30% unemployment NOW due to lack of tourism first? But then I guess they are getting fed money, most are getting unemployment, so they are taking their sweet time.

I am this close from calling it a day and book in Orlando, and not visit Hawaii again for a couple years, if ever. Open up, or not, it doesn't really matter as long as they make a decision so people can plan! For a state where the biggest economy is tourism, it just boggles my mind that they are freaking destroy it with their lack of decision, it's not like they don't know tourists need to plan. Take some leadership and accountability and just make a decision already. Instead it almost seemed like they enjoy listening to their own speech using covid to push their agenda in tax payer funded subsidies for tech and finance. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
@Galun - wow. okay.

I believe the majority of the residents there are backing their Gov's handling of their affairs and citizens reporting the small non-compliant visiting mainlanders. Though draconian, they have largely contained this issue. As people may know and realize, Hawaii has a very limited medical support structure so COVID can easily overwhelm them if it runs unrestrained. Their closest backup is a 6+ hour plane ride away.

We have a 2 week trip starting July 27th and at this point we're thinking 50/50 proposition. Luckily flights are on points with SWA, and we have both outbound on 27th and 3rd, in case to reduce to 1 week instead of 2 week stay. For backup we have Disneyland for end of August.

Worst case, a bottle of Kahlua at home poolside I suppose.

I feel for you. We are supposed to be at Aulani on June 26 and Hilton Hawaiian Village on July 1 and neither of them have cancelled. Aulani is a given at this point and HHV is pretty likely. But I agree. It's all about waiting on the governor to make a decision. He knows what he wants to do so he needs to just do it and put us out of our misery. You can't keep giving 15 days notice to hotels and travelers. Everyone needs time to get ready for whatever that decision is. And the airlines are in a waiting game, as well. Because if hotels do open then they don't want to cancel the flights. But if they don't, then they need to plan accordingly.

I am trying to make a tentative booking for August 1 but my son goes back to school on Aug 11 (maybe???) so I am running out of time. The only reason I want to take this trip is because I am happy sitting on my lanai staring at the ocean for 10 days. I am tired of staring at my street. But if I could find a reasonable alternative, I would cancel right now and go someplace else. Unfortunately, all of my trips are paid on vacation points so that limits my options. I am fine with the trip being cancelled (though I would be very disappointed) I just want someone to tell me so I can move on.

One thing you might want to consider is if you do arrive in Honolulu on June 26, you'll need to have hotel accommodations booked for 14 days straight as you won't be able to leave your hotel room until the 14 days quarantine is finished at that accommodation (except to exercise on the beach or swim in the ocean). Just something to consider since the 14-day quarantine is in effect until June 30th with no word as to whether it will continue through July. Personally I would rather change my dates to when it's confirmed the quarantine is lifted and when either of your hotels will open (and what the restrictions are at those hotels). Good luck!

Last edited:

Here's my dilemma. I'm scheduled to go July 10th and I borrowed all my points (200) from 2021 for this trip. If I cancel now before the quarantine is extended will all my points stay in 2020? I have a Feb use year. I caught a break over the weekend when United canceled my direct flights from Newark to Honolulu and rescheduled me on connecting flights so per the FAA if I request a refund they have to honor it. I want to book a different vacation but I'm in this lousy holding pattern because Gov Ige won't give us some more definitive guidance. The longer I wait to book something else, my options (non-Disney) dry up or go up in price. I can take the gamble and book another vacation hoping Disney has to cancel me if the quarantine is extended which will return my points into the use years they came from but it would be several thousand dollars I could lose. Thanks for any feedback!

Almost definitely. Or some sort of proof that you already have the antibodies.

If the government doesn't require visitors to show some sort of proof that they are not actively carrying the disease, Hawaii residents will be up in arms. I would expect a huge grassroots movement to include massive picket lines outside the airport and hotels, harassment, etc. The negativity towards tourists is already out of hand and an open border with no testing would amplify it immensely.
Isn't tourism important to Hawaii residents?

@Galun - wow. okay.

I believe the majority of the residents there are backing their Gov's handling of their affairs and citizens reporting the small non-compliant visiting mainlanders. Though draconian, they have largely contained this issue. As people may know and realize, Hawaii has a very limited medical support structure so COVID can easily overwhelm them if it runs unrestrained. Their closest backup is a 6+ hour plane ride away.

We have a 2 week trip starting July 27th and at this point we're thinking 50/50 proposition. Luckily flights are on points with SWA, and we have both outbound on 27th and 3rd, in case to reduce to 1 week instead of 2 week stay. For backup we have Disneyland for end of August.

Worst case, a bottle of Kahlua at home poolside I suppose.

Ok, then they should announce a long term shut down. Announce no tourism until August. September. Or longer. Whatever their population wants. I don't have a problem with them locking down the island, that's totally up to them. If they want to lock it down for a year or longer until a vaccine is developed, and they have consensus among their population to absolutely destroy their tourism industry, that's fine.

I do have a problem with indecision in their leadership. Merely stating quarantine will most likely extend beyond June 30 is not leadership. They don't even have concrete metrics in what's required to open up the state again. It's just leadership punting important decisions. I can understand this happening in March / April. It's absurd to have no concrete plan in place by this point. When they make a decision, then people can plan. Airlines / hotels will have to cancel and give refunds. Tourists can then go somewhere else or stay home.

Here's my dilemma. I'm scheduled to go July 10th and I borrowed all my points (200) from 2021 for this trip. If I cancel now before the quarantine is extended will all my points stay in 2020? I have a Feb use year. I caught a break over the weekend when United canceled my direct flights from Newark to Honolulu and rescheduled me on connecting flights so per the FAA if I request a refund they have to honor it. I want to book a different vacation but I'm in this lousy holding pattern because Gov Ige won't give us some more definitive guidance. The longer I wait to book something else, my options (non-Disney) dry up or go up in price. I can take the gamble and book another vacation hoping Disney has to cancel me if the quarantine is extended which will return my points into the use years they came from but it would be several thousand dollars I could lose. Thanks for any feedback!

I booked 3x 2bedrooms for 6 families in late July, and I had to cancel two (still holding our hope with one room). All borrow points were unborrowed, completed while I was oil the phone. Basically, when you cancel an Aulani reservation, all points go back to their original status as if you had not made the reservation. This is because Aulani still does not have an opening date. I don't know whether this policy will change if Aulani has a firm opening date.

What you stated about this "holding pattern" is precisely what I am upset about the leadership at Hawaii. It's not March / April anymore. We have lived through this for 3 months. Make a damn decision and stick with it.

Last edited:
I booked 3x 2bedrooms for 6 families in late July, and I had to cancel two (still holding our hope with one room). All borrow points were unborrowed, completed while I was oil the phone. Basically, when you cancel an Aulani reservation, all points go back to their original status as if you had not made the reservation. This is because Aulani still does not have an opening date. I don't know whether this policy will change if Aulani has a firm opening date.

What you stated about this "holding pattern" is precisely what I am upset about the leadership at Hawaii. It's not March / April anymore. We have lived through this for 3 months. Make a damn decision and stick with it.
Yep - I agree 100%. I read last week they plan to extend beyond 6/30. If that's the case then announce something - will definitely be at least until 7/15 or 7/31, or whatever, so people can get on with their lives. I may call tomorrow if I can get through and try to cancel. United Airlines sucks too because they rebooked us from a direct flight with 3 aisle and 3 window seats onto flights with 3 windows and 3 middle seats. Obviously they didn't care about spacing because the entire flight are full.

Here's my dilemma. I'm scheduled to go July 10th and I borrowed all my points (200) from 2021 for this trip. If I cancel now before the quarantine is extended will all my points stay in 2020? I have a Feb use year.

As always, confirm with member services before you do this...but if I were you, I would cancel the reservation and have the points returned to February 2021. That gives you the option of going 2/2021-1/2022 or bank them for 2/2022-1/2023 for maximum flexibility.

I have a February UY also and am booked the first or second week of February 2021.

Isn't tourism important to Hawaii residents?

You'd think so, right? But local polling, both scientific and not, have showed the majority of people are opposed to opening up Hawaii to tourism at this time. A scientific poll conducted in late May by Civil Beat (a moderate publication) showed 70% of people thought that stomping out coronavirus was the top priority. A lot of locals see this as a decision between protecting their families OR restarting tourism. Very few see that both are possible so long as reasonable precautions are taken.

Take some leadership and accountability and just make a decision already.

This is the same governor who couldn't tell us that the North Korean nuclear missile alert we received was a false alarm because he FORGOT HIS TWITTER PASSWORD. Beyond that, the current drama between the legislators and dept. heads would put any real housewife to shame . . . oh, and the head of the Hawaii Tourism Authority is stepping down. And the head of the hotel/service workers labor union is stepping down to run for mayor. And primary voting (where most if not all races are decided) starts next month so nobody wants to be known as "the guy who is advocating to open up tourism". So yup, it's a 💩 show here!

Regarding the Asia travel bubble program, I believe this is the state's rationale for why they believe it may be legal:

1. ALL visitors, whether they are from the US mainland or from within the travel bubble, would still be required to undergo the 14-day quarantine.
2. Visitors from within the bubble who can provide some sort of medical clearance would be granted an EXEMPTION (this one word is the crux of the state's argument) from the state instituted quarantine. There is no federal travel ban for Japan, Korea, etc. so the state isn't trying to supersede federal mandate.
3. It's well established that Hawaii can grant exemptions to state laws for foreign goods/animals while upholding that very same law when it comes to goods/animals coming in from the US mainland.
4. No group of US citizens is being treated any better/worse than others. All US citizens, including Hawaii residents, would still be subject to the 14 day quarantine. Can you make an argument of discrimination if all Americans are held to the same rule.
5. If one of the travel bubble countries wants to allow people from Hawaii but not the other 49 states they can do so. Other countries are not bound to US laws regarding discrimination and free movement.

Is it ethical? My personal opinion is that it's not. I think the travel bubble idea plays into a lot of racist stereotypes people in Hawaii have such as Asians being respectful and rich while Americans are well . . . "ugly Americans". More importantly, you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I don’t think it is ethical. And as someone who cancelled July plans to visit family in Hawaii while the priority seems to be on mainstreaming tourism from select foreign countries, I have to say much of the appeal of Hawaii has been lost. We have chose to vacation in our own state (which we are fortunate to have lots to do and low case numbers) and there is gratitude for the return of tourists and the money for the local economy.

You'd think so, right? But local polling, both scientific and not, have showed the majority of people are opposed to opening up Hawaii to tourism at this time. A scientific poll conducted in late May by Civil Beat (a moderate publication) showed 70% of people thought that stomping out coronavirus was the top priority. A lot of locals see this as a decision between protecting their families OR restarting tourism. Very few see that both are possible so long as reasonable precautions are taken.

This is the same governor who couldn't tell us that the North Korean nuclear missile alert we received was a false alarm because he FORGOT HIS TWITTER PASSWORD. Beyond that, the current drama between the legislators and dept. heads would put any real housewife to shame . . . oh, and the head of the Hawaii Tourism Authority is stepping down. And the head of the hotel/service workers labor union is stepping down to run for mayor. And primary voting (where most if not all races are decided) starts next month so nobody wants to be known as "the guy who is advocating to open up tourism". So yup, it's a 💩 show here!

Regarding the Asia travel bubble program, I believe this is the state's rationale for why they believe it may be legal:

1. ALL visitors, whether they are from the US mainland or from within the travel bubble, would still be required to undergo the 14-day quarantine.
2. Visitors from within the bubble who can provide some sort of medical clearance would be granted an EXEMPTION (this one word is the crux of the state's argument) from the state instituted quarantine. There is no federal travel ban for Japan, Korea, etc. so the state isn't trying to supersede federal mandate.
3. It's well established that Hawaii can grant exemptions to state laws for foreign goods/animals while upholding that very same law when it comes to goods/animals coming in from the US mainland.
4. No group of US citizens is being treated any better/worse than others. All US citizens, including Hawaii residents, would still be subject to the 14 day quarantine. Can you make an argument of discrimination if all Americans are held to the same rule.
5. If one of the travel bubble countries wants to allow people from Hawaii but not the other 49 states they can do so. Other countries are not bound to US laws regarding discrimination and free movement.

Is it ethical? My personal opinion is that it's not. I think the travel bubble idea plays into a lot of racist stereotypes people in Hawaii have such as Asians being respectful and rich while Americans are well . . . "ugly Americans". More importantly, you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Thanks for the perspective. LOL at the governor forgetting his twitter password. Did not know that but certainly does not surprise me at all.

I can understand native Hawaiian’s view on disease. I believe there is a cultural history of mainlanders first visiting Hawaii, brining disease that locals don’t have immunity to, and killed a lot of them. As for lost tourism jobs, the feds are providing unemployment. I personally have a business in California where some employees (now ex) prefer to stay on unemployment because it pays better. So I can kinda understand the local’s view. But this is where government leadership should step in.

Anyways, I read that Ige will provide guidance on trans-pacific travel next week. So hopefully we will at least have closure.

Interesting to see your perspective on how Hawaiians view Asians. We are Asians so we had experienced nothing but great hospitality from the locals. We had locals speak to us in Japanese. Never thought about the situation the way you described it, but now it sort of makes sense.

Yeah I think they will keep the 14 day quarantine and grant exemption based on some kind of metric (probably testing within a couple days), and I think that’s entirely legal and ethical as long as that’s applied to everybody, not just ”travel bubble” countries.

I would say if you redid the poll after July 31st, you'll get a different response. Unless you're just polling retired or rich people in which case keep out the tourist for as long as possible because now you don't have to share the beaches with anybody else. Those with dwindled life savings trying to decide if they should use their lower unemployment checks to pay for food or rent will have a very different set of priorities soon enough.

Even with all the list of points you made in justifying the legality of the travel bubble I still believe a lawsuit will be filed and the state of Hawaii will probable lose if they follow through on this travel bubble idea.

I would say if you redid the poll after July 31st, you'll get a different response. Unless you're just polling retired or rich people in which case keep out the tourist for as long as possible because now you don't have to share the beaches with anybody else. Those with dwindled life savings trying to decide if they should use their lower unemployment checks to pay for food or rent will have a very different set of priorities soon enough.

Even with all the list of points you made in justifying the legality of the travel bubble I still believe a lawsuit will be filed and the state of Hawaii will probable lose if they follow through on this travel bubble idea.

Currently I bet many tourism base workers get more from unemployment given the seasonal nature. That runs out by end of July. If that’s not extended we will see what happens.

There is really no legality in travel bubble in my opinion. They keep the 14 day quarantine for everybody and grant exemptions. I don’t see legal issues with states imposing their own exemption criteria.

Corgi, I think that they must include Australians in this category as well - because in our 27+ trips since 1992, we have never experienced anything other then kindness and friendliness. Even today I got a gorgeous email from our favourite hotel in Waikiki because my husband had a shirt sent there back in March. Due to Covid, our trip was cancelled so the hotel reached out to ask what could they do to assist us :love:

Corgi, I think that they must include Australians in this category as well - because in our 27+ trips since 1992, we have never experienced anything other then kindness and friendliness. Even today I got a gorgeous email from our favourite hotel in Waikiki because my husband had a shirt sent there back in March. Due to Covid, our trip was cancelled so the hotel reached out to ask what could they do to assist us :love:

Yes, Hawaii loves Australians. I credit the accents lol 😂 And the koalas 🐨

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter