• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Having to cancel

Surfindude

Earning My Ears
It looks like, given the economic situation, we may need to cancel our trip. I clearly know that there is a penalty, but, is there someway that they could credit that towards a trip next year? Or anything?

It looks like, given the economic situation, we may need to cancel our trip. I clearly know that there is a penalty, but, is there someway that they could credit that towards a trip next year? Or anything?
Boy, that's a good question, and one I haven't seen asked. It's definitely not in their printed policy (rescheduling a trip is considered canceling the old trip), but it certainly can't hurt to call & ask! I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear what ABD has to say.

Here's what the policy says:

If you make changes to the vacation commencement date or chosen vacation, it will be deemed a cancellation by you. If you cancel, amounts paid, minus cancellation fees and nonrefundable amounts, will be promptly refunded. Regardless of when you book, your deposit of US$300 is refundable for 14 calendar days after original booking. You must notify us if you decide to cancel within this 14 calendar day period. If you cancel after this period, the following cancellation fees, calculated in calendar days prior to vacation start date, and irrespective of resale by us:

90 days or more: US$300 per person; 60-89 days: 25% of the land package price; 30-59 days: 50% of the land package price; 0-29 days: 100% of the land package price. No refunds will be made in the event of interruption or cancellation by you after the vacation start date.

The cancellation terms above apply only to the land package price and exclude, among other things, cancellation charges from air carriers. It is strongly recommended that you purchase the Adventures by Disney Vacation Protection Plan as a precaution. Please ask a Concierge Agent for details.

Sayhello

You can always hope that they cancel your trip before the pay in full date.;)

You can always hope that they cancel your trip before the pay in full date.;)

That's what I'm hoping happens with the trip we have scheduled. I've been waivering on whether to cancel or take the trip. We do not have to pay in full until May but I'm leaning towards cancelling.

I think it's horrible that Disney has such stiff cancellation policies after 14 days, yet they can turn around and cancel trips on people who have paid in full only a few months out. I know it probably won't help, but I would be sure to point that out to them if you do end up having to cancel. :(

I've been really wanting to take an ABD trip, but after hearing about how they've handled all of these trip cancellations while still having such a strict cancellation policy for their guests, I've been really soured on the idea. We're a military family and it's very difficult to coordinate leave time a year in advance knowing that DH's schedule can change at any time. Sounds like they'd be very inflexible with changes on our end, yet could change things on their end at a moment's notice.

I'm sorry you're in this situation, and hope it works out for you that you're able to go!

I think it's horrible that Disney has such stiff cancellation policies after 14 days, yet they can turn around and cancel trips on people who have paid in full only a few months out. I know it probably won't help, but I would be sure to point that out to them if you do end up having to cancel. :(

I've been really wanting to take an ABD trip, but after hearing about how they've handled all of these trip cancellations while still having such a strict cancellation policy for their guests, I've been really soured on the idea. We're a military family and it's very difficult to coordinate leave time a year in advance knowing that DH's schedule can change at any time. Sounds like they'd be very inflexible with changes on our end, yet could change things on their end at a moment's notice.

I'm sorry you're in this situation, and hope it works out for you that you're able to go!
I absolutely adore ABD, and the trip I went on was magnificent, but I'm starting to agree with you, and will not book again with ABD unless they make some serious changes to their policies. Last year a couple of trips got canceled, and that was not good, but this year they have been canceling stuff left and right, and it could easily continue. I don't like not knowing. But you have to admit, if they changed their cancelation policy to match their own ability to cancel, they'd have a HUGE number of people canceling right now! I might be one of them...

Sayhello

Looking at the posts today I wonder if the best thing would be to wait and see if Disney cancels before jumping in and canceling a trip and taking the loss. It seems almost a 50-50 chance that they might cancel your trip.

Looking at the posts today I wonder if the best thing would be to wait and see if Disney cancels before jumping in and canceling a trip and taking the loss. It seems almost a 50-50 chance that they might cancel your trip.

That's how we are playing it ... wait and see. If Disney does cancel the dates for our trip to Ireland we have decided to do it ourselves for those dates. We'll still have the experience of Ireland, just not the Disney experience.

That's how we are playing it ... wait and see. If Disney does cancel the dates for our trip to Ireland we have decided to do it ourselves for those dates. We'll still have the experience of Ireland, just not the Disney experience.
I'd say the chances are getting better & better every day. My Canadian Rockies trip just got canceled. Now the choice is, do I get my money back, take the money and run, and plan something on my own, or see if I can rebook? There's not much in the way of options for the week I can take...

Sayhello

I'd say the chances are getting better & better every day. My Canadian Rockies trip just got canceled. Now the choice is, do I get my money back, take the money and run, and plan something on my own, or see if I can rebook? There's not much in the way of options for the week I can take...

Sayhello

Oh bummer sayhello! Your selected tour would be tough to do on your own. Good luck finding a suitable replacement.

I checked Rick Steves site today to see what he offered for Ireland. His site lists those weeks that are 'sold out'. We couldn't do one of those anyway since they are 14 day tours. Besides I kind of think his accommodations won't nearly be on par with Disney's selected hotels. What really cinched a 'no' for me was the requirement to be able to carry one's luggage up 3 flights of stairs!

Oh bummer sayhello! Your selected tour would be tough to do on your own. Good luck finding a suitable replacement.

I checked Rick Steves site today to see what he offered for Ireland. His site lists those weeks that are 'sold out'. We couldn't do one of those anyway since they are 14 day tours. Besides I kind of think his accommodations won't nearly be on par with Disney's selected hotels. What really cinched a 'no' for me was the requirement to be able to carry one's luggage up 3 flights of stairs!
Well, if I took the money & ran, I'd end up doing something totally different for my vacation. There's no way I'm hiking Glacier National park on my own (solo). Part of the reason I love doing these tours is because I travel by myself, and hiking, etc, by yourself just isn't safe or prudent.

And there is NO WAY I'd sign up for a trip that required me to shlep my own luggage up 3 flights of stairs. SO not going to happen!

Sigh. Serious sigh. Of course, the ABD rep was supposed to call me back in 1/2 an hour, and it's now been closer to 2 hours, but I guess it just gives me more time to think.

Sayhello

I say wait and see if they cancel. This is exactly what we did and they did cancel. I am pregnant and going to Costa Rica would have been a waste because I would have had to miss a lot of the adventurous activities. We never paid our final balance and a week after they called (I thought they were looking for their payment) and told us it had been cancelled so we got our money back. If you actually call and cancel and then they cancel you will not get your deposit back.

Well, I talked to the ABD rep, and she is going to see if they will offer me the Alaska Adults Only trip, which leaves just a couple of days before the trip I was supposed to take. I asked to pay the same amount that I was going to pay for the Canadian trip. Plus they will either pay the difference for changing my ticket, or, if I totally have to re-book, will reimburse me for the cost of my old ticket so I can buy a new ticket. Honestly, the airfare for Alaska is pretty comparable (on other airlines) to the ticket for the Canada trip. So this may work out. Stay tuned!

I keep thinking that I already went to Alaska, 3 years ago, but you know what? ABD goes places I didn't go, and does things I didn't do, so it's all good.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter