• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Having a Cabana on Serenity Bay

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
For my honeymoon cruise in January we are sailing in Concierge and I decided to try out a Cabana for the first time. I'm a bit on the fence whether or not to keep it though, since it costs a lot and the two times I've been to Castaway Cay without one I had a great time.

We have Serenity Bay Cabana 23, is this a good one to have? Has anyone been in this one before?

I know that a bike rental is included, this could be fun since we've never done that before. Do we need sneakers to use the bikes? Or can we ride around in our bathing suits and flip flops? It mentions that floats are provided, are these like the floats you use in a lazy river? My Fiance is planning on doing the 5k so we would be meeting up on the beach when he's done, would it be easy for him to find me at the cabana? Will it be easy for me to find the cabana by myself lol?

The last time we hung out in the hammocks on the beach and relaxed. So I'm wondering if having the cabana will be worth it to us? But at the same time I don't think we'll be sailing in concierge for a very long time so probably won't have an opportunity to have one again. Should we keep it?

I can’t comment on that particular cabana, but Imcan answer some of your questions. The bikes have flat rubber pedals so you can easily ride them in flip-flops. I usually wear Ecco sandals and have no problem. There are two types of floats : mats and the ones you describe used in lazy rivers.

To get to the cabana, you just need to check-in at the desk near the entrance to the family beach Cabanas and they’ll drive you to your cabana in an electric cart. Same thing goes for your fiancé when she finishes the 5k.

As for being “worth it”, only you can answer that. We get a cabana any chance we get, but we do not have to sacrifice anything to do so. Will you have to choose between having one and doing another port adventures or eating at a specialty restaurant ? We will not have one on our next cruise and will do just fine on the regular beach.

I love the cabanas on SB. But worth is very subjective. Since you are celebrating you might like to try it and see. I am going to be in #24 next week. I was in #25 2 years ago. It had both the long and round (lazy river) floats.
I did the 5k 2 years ago and LOVED having the cold towels and drinks waiting for me, a long with a comfy place to sit. I liked having the safe. You have a hammock. I've never ridden the bikes cause I love the water.
It is very easy to find. There is a place to check in and then the host took us last time by golf cart. My hubby, who was the only one who didn't do the 5 k in our group, got there first.
Like I said, I love SB in general and would take any cabana.
Next week my daughter is doing parasailing and the jet skies. She is paying for the cabana because it is worth it to her, even what little time she will be there. I don't think I would if I were her. That's what I mean by worth being subjective.

The "worth it part" is something only you can answer. Well worth it to us, and we get one almost every cruise. But, it's a lot of money that could go to other splurges. I don't remember the bike rental (free with the cabana) requiring sneakers; the float was a bit plastic inner tube. Finding the cabanas is a piece of cake, you walk right by the checkin shack if you take the only route to the beach from the tram stop. They're right there on the right, easy as pie to find. We've been in 23 and loved it. So....here is a list of what you'll get:

Bowl of potato chips, energy bars, fresh fruit
Stocked fridge with cold drinks and water
Electric wall plugs (for example, plug in to recharge your electronics)
Suntan lotion
Private hammock
Personal float tubes
Snorkeling equipment rental
Bike rental included
Nearby shower (right outside)
Magazines
Facial tissue
Trashcan
Hanging closet
Cocktail table, sofa, two chairs inside
Call button for attendant
Overhead fan
Privacy curtains over windows
Plates
Private beach in family cabanas
There is a safe in them, just as in your onboard cabin.
You can eat lunch there (table and chairs). Your host might give you a ride to/from the buffet.
There is a changing curtain for get into/out of swimwear
A drink host will come and take your order for alcoholic drinks and bring them to you.
They provide a plate of cold, wet towels. Great for cleaning/cooling off.
Lot of chairs inside and out (on the porch) for relaxing
Once at the end of the day, our host took us from our cabana to the ship's reboarding point in his golfcart. Wow!

I was in cabana 25 (which was awesome because it was the last one/far on the beach and If I am not mistaken there are only 4 cabanas on CC. We had no neighbours so it almost felt like having our own private space.)

There was different kinds of floats when we were there. Some tubes "lazy river style" but also some kinds of floating mattresses.

You need to check-in at the entrance and you'll receive bracelets so your husband can meet you at your cabana very easily after that.

The cabanas are very easy to find. ;)

Now... Do you really need a cabana on CC... Probably not. However, how many honeymoons are you going to have? You are already paying a little fortune to sail concierge so while you are there, why not go all-in with the VIP experience? If I am not mistaken, you can even order a package with champagne, etc in your cabana. :)

Just remember the cabana is separated from the beack by some bushes and stuff, so you aren't water front like in the family beach area. There are not many hammocks on serenity. For us, serenity cabanas probably wouldn't be worth the cost for us, especially since we have kids. But even before they came along, still wouldn't have been worth it.

I ran the 5K when we had a cabana on the family beach. I figured we wouldn't have to worry about "rushing" since we had a cabana. My husband and kids waited in the room for me to get done and shower and head back to the cabana. This is was a huge regret as there is a shower and changing station in the cabana. I wish my husband and kids could have enjoyed the cabana while I was out running the 5k instead of being stuck in the stateroom. The cabana is about $100/hour so that's 2 hours lost.

This past may was the first time we went to the island since 2013 without a cabana and honestly I don't see myself getting one again. My kids are older now and can handle the heat and the activity so it was helpful for us when they were little.

Just remember the cabana is separated from the beack by some bushes and stuff, so you aren't water front like in the family beach area. There are not many hammocks on serenity. For us, serenity cabanas probably wouldn't be worth the cost for us, especially since we have kids. But even before they came along, still wouldn't have been worth it.

The first sentence is most important. They are close together AND close to the chairs for the non-cabana people - and sound carries. They are private, but not THAT private.

The bikes have flat rubber pedals so you can easily ride them in flip-flops. I usually wear Ecco sandals and have no problem. There are two types of floats : mats and the ones you describe used in lazy rivers.
Thats good to know so I don't have to pack sneakers just to ride these.

To get to the cabana, you just need to check-in at the desk near the entrance to the family beach Cabanas and they’ll drive you to your cabana in an electric cart. Same thing goes for your fiancé when she finishes the 5k.
So the check in for the adult beach cabanas is also over on the family beach?

As for being “worth it”, only you can answer that. We get a cabana any chance we get, but we do not have to sacrifice anything to do so. Will you have to choose between having one and doing another port adventures or eating at a specialty restaurant ? We will not have one on our next cruise and will do just fine on the regular beach.
We won't be sacrificing anything to have the cabana, it would just be money saved if we don't. Maybe my Fiance would buy me a gift on the cruise or something instead lol.

Next week my daughter is doing parasailing and the jet skies. She is paying for the cabana because it is worth it to her, even what little time she will be there. I don't think I would if I were her. That's what I mean by worth being subjective.
We don't have any excursions planned for the island so we would spend a good amount of time in the cabana.

The "worth it part" is something only you can answer. Well worth it to us, and we get one almost every cruise. But, it's a lot of money that could go to other splurges. I don't remember the bike rental (free with the cabana) requiring sneakers; the float was a bit plastic inner tube. Finding the cabanas is a piece of cake, you walk right by the checkin shack if you take the only route to the beach from the tram stop. They're right there on the right, easy as pie to find. We've been in 23 and loved it. So....here is a list of what you'll get:

Bowl of potato chips, energy bars, fresh fruit
Stocked fridge with cold drinks and water
Electric wall plugs (for example, plug in to recharge your electronics)
Suntan lotion
Private hammock
Personal float tubes
Snorkeling equipment rental
Bike rental included
Nearby shower (right outside)
Magazines
Facial tissue
Trashcan
Hanging closet
Cocktail table, sofa, two chairs inside
Call button for attendant
Overhead fan
Privacy curtains over windows
Plates
There is a safe in them, just as in your onboard cabin.
You can eat lunch there (table and chairs). Your host might give you a ride to/from the buffet.
There is a changing curtain for get into/out of swimwear
A drink host will come and take your order for alcoholic drinks and bring them to you.
They provide a plate of cold, wet towels. Great for cleaning/cooling off.
Lot of chairs inside and out (on the porch) for relaxing
Once at the end of the day, our host took us from our cabana to the ship's reboarding point in his golfcart. Wow!
Thank you for this detailed list this is awesome! Having the safe in the cabana would be really nice so we could bring our phones and not have to worry when we go into the ocean.

Now... Do you really need a cabana on CC... Probably not. However, how many honeymoons are you going to have? You are already paying a little fortune to sail concierge so while you are there, why not go all-in with the VIP experience? If I am not mistaken, you can even order a package with champagne, etc in your cabana.
It's funny you say that since we are actually doing two honeymoons, this one and a cruise in Europe. But that is true concierge does cost a small fortune so this add on isn't a huge addition.

The first sentence is most important. They are close together AND close to the chairs for the non-cabana people - and sound carries. They are private, but not THAT private.
People mention this a lot, do people do a lot of inappropriate things in these cabanas? Maybe I'm just naive.

Since the cabana we have is at the adult beach are we allowed to go over to the private beach in the family cabana area?

People mention this a lot, do people do a lot of inappropriate things in these cabanas? Maybe I'm just naive.

I have been on the beach and heard one couple who clearly thought they were in a completely private area and did not realize that sound carries.

I'm sure if they were on their honeymoon or something they would not think of it as "inappropriate" - but it's something best left to legit privacy IMHO. Not a cabana that is pretty open to the world around it (the windows only have shutters - no glass or anything) and very close to the cabanas next to it.

I have been on the beach and heard one couple who clearly thought they were in a completely private area and did not realize that sound carries.

I'm sure if they were on their honeymoon or something they would not think of it as "inappropriate" - but it's something best left to legit privacy IMHO. Not a cabana that is pretty open to the world around it (the windows only have shutters - no glass or anything) and very close to the cabanas next to it.
I heard a couple of loud arguments from another cabana while in my cabana. The nature of the arguments suggested the people either didn’t realize they could be overheard or ar very open about their “private life”. I would guess they were on the opposite of a honeymoon. Is there such a thing as a divorce moon?

Thats good to know so I don't have to pack sneakers just to ride these.

So the check in for the adult beach cabanas is also over on the family beach?

We won't be sacrificing anything to have the cabana, it would just be money saved if we don't. Maybe my Fiance would buy me a gift on the cruise or something instead lol.

We don't have any excursions planned for the island so we would spend a good amount of time in the cabana.

Thank you for this detailed list this is awesome! Having the safe in the cabana would be really nice so we could bring our phones and not have to worry when we go into the ocean.

It's funny you say that since we are actually doing two honeymoons, this one and a cruise in Europe. But that is true concierge does cost a small fortune so this add on isn't a huge addition.

Since the cabana we have is at the adult beach are we allowed to go over to the private beach in the family cabana area?

The Serenity Bay cabanas are on the Serenity Bay beach, and the family cabanas are on a private beach on a different side of the island (they extend out past the family beach, and is reserved for the family cabanas. So no, you wouldn't have access to the private family cabana beach at Serenity Bay. That said, there's no reason why you couldn't ask your concierge to book you a cabana at the family beach rather than at serenity bay if you like the idea of a private beach.

The Serenity Bay cabanas are on the Serenity Bay beach, and the family cabanas are on a private beach on a different side of the island (they extend out past the family beach, and is reserved for the family cabanas. So no, you wouldn't have access to the private family cabana beach at Serenity Bay. That said, there's no reason why you couldn't ask your concierge to book you a cabana at the family beach rather than at serenity bay if you like the idea of a private beach.
Are the family beach cabanas nicer than the Serenity Bay ones? I figured we do that since it was just two adults, but the other ones seem to get higher praise?

Are the family beach cabanas nicer than the Serenity Bay ones? I figured we do that since it was just two adults, but the other ones seem to get higher praise?
Serenity Bay is called that for a reason : it is secluded. If you want to go snorkeling in the designated zone, go shopping after lunch, or decide to walk back to the ship at the end of the day, you are very far. Also, you do not get a view of the ship. We always sail with our son so we will not go to SB for at least another 10 years, but if we had to choose, we would still go to the family beach. When we go and visit SB, we always think it would be too quiet for us.

Serenity Bay is called that for a reason : it is secluded. If you want to go snorkeling in the designated zone, go shopping after lunch, or decide to walk back to the ship at the end of the day, you are very far. Also, you do not get a view of the ship. We always sail with our son so we will not go to SB for at least another 10 years, but if we had to choose, we would still go to the family beach. When we go and visit SB, we always think it would be too quiet for us.

I agree SB is not close to the shopping and snorkeling reef (and sports areas, musicians, watercraft rentals, etc.), but that's its very reason for being...it is secluded, quiet, adults only. There is a HUGE difference in feeling being on the family beach vs SB. As far as close to shopping or other activities, I don't think it is so far. Trams come often, or it is a couple of minute bike ride away, or maybe a 10 minute (sunny!) stroll.

The family area is vibrant, busy, lots of activities going on, and a lot of fun. A few minute's walk/tram ride/bike ride away is the secluded, uncrowded, quiet adult area. Even the cabanas feel secluded and private in SB, more so than the family beach.

Pick your cup of tea. Both options are amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter