• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you thought about moving

Colorado is turning into another California in a bad way so we are considering Florida, New Mexico, Arizona, or Texas. All have jobs in my field and my husband wants to substitute teach and run his leather business, so we are pretty free to move.

After almost 63 years in Northern New England, I followed my daughters and their respective families to NC. That was 10 months ago. I have not regretted it for one minute. Weather is so much nicer here than NE, not a flake of snow yet, so many things to do, places to see, places to eat and I have, truthfully, never met anyone yet that isn't friendly, helpful and ready to accept you as your own. The cost of living is way lower, taxes are lower, rents and housing are cheaper. It is wonderful.

My highest energy bill this winter was $61.00. That included lights, heat, hot water, electric stove and air conditioning. (believe it or not, I've had to put it on a couple of times this winter). Back home I would have spent more than that just for electricity and then added another couple of hundred dollars, per month, for heating fuel.

Until my family moved here, NC was nowhere on my radar. I am so glad it was on theirs.

Another Marylander here who is also considering a move since our state is in a tax raising mood:sad2: somewhere in the south is looking better everyday. Mary

Another Marylander here who is also considering a move since our state is in a tax raising mood:sad2: somewhere in the south is looking better everyday. Mary

Florida has no income tax, you know. ;)

to another state in the next few years ? if so where ?

I thought about it a lot, looking at South Carolina ( warm and reasonable prices), also thinking about Arizona, California and Pennsylvania, but Im open to almost any state, but im ready for a change

Are you CRAZY?!?! :scared1:

I moved to SC last year and I despise. I'm literally counting the days until my contract is up. It's a whole different world down here, and it's difficult for northerners to "get" it. I work in healthcare, and believe you me- this state will be an epidemic within 5 years. They're also about 20 years behind in many technologies. It's bizarre to me, but it works for them.

If you aren't a southerner by birth, move to North Carolina. Great weather, great beaches, centrally located. If you're that sold on SC, consider Greenville or Charleston, but charleston isn't that affordable. Avoid the entire midlands region. I've lived in 5 states, about to move to my 6th this summer- Florida has been my fave so far :)

My niece lives in SC about 45 minutes form Greenville. We spent an evening there and it seemed like a great place. I looked at DH and said "I could live here".

However, if I were going to move south, I'd be moving to southern Florida. Maybe the Naples area....or even further south. I am starting to hate winter.

The elderly parentals are here in CT, so here I stay for a while.

We really want to move to South Carolina or Savannah, Ga. area. Besides the weather (Major factor) we really hate the political climate here in RI. Government employee unions control the state. They get a pay raise and I get a pay cut (taxes go up).

Last year we figured we had better go look at the place we want to live. We spent a few days in the Hilton Head, Savannah area. We love the area and the people are so warm and friendly. We stopped in to see Disney's Hilton Head resort. As we were looking around (lost look on our faces) a cast member asked if we needed help. We ended up in a half an hour conversation with him. He told us when we are ready to move look him up he would love to help us with our move. I mean I don't think I've ever had more than a 10 minute conversation with any stranger here. Southern hospitality, this is where I want to live.

This will be quite a change for me. I've only moved once in my life and that was only a mile. I still have the same phone number I've had my whole life. Good luck! Let me know if you take the leap.

THIS is exactly why I wanted to move to North Carolina. Although I have to tell you, we just moved to North Kingstown, RI and it feels like North Carolina (except for the weather). Everyone down here is sooo nice.

Yes, definitely looking to move back to Northern Virginia in 3-5 years. I'd also love to move to Savannah GA, but that is more of a retirement age thing for me.

I love the weather in Orlando but I can't wait to go home... even though Virginia weather is terrible!

LOL, I didn't realize that you could actually drive 30 minutes in Rhode Island and still be in the state!

You must be from RI!!:lmao: It actually takes about 55 minutes from one border to the next border. I was 3 minutes from the Massachusetts border, now I'm probably 15 minutes or so from the Connecticut border

We've been trying to move for the past 9 months. We need to sell our house to relocate for DW's job. As you may have heard, trying to sell a house right now is tough.

My husband and I were born and raised in Alabama and we moved to New Hampshire in 2007. It is a lovely state, despite the winters, but it's not our forever home. We will never move back to Alabama (unless we could live at the beach). We are going to move in the next 1-2 years. So many things can change in a year, but we do have our top choices for our next adventure.

Everyone always asks how we like living in NE after being raised in the south and honestly we love the way of life up here. People aren't always in your business, there is more progressive thinking, the fall foliage is breathtaking, there is a low tax burden, and there is much less humidity. But, on the flip-side the winters are hideous, it's not a comfortable temperature for me 9 months out of the year, there are a lot of "cranky yankees", and there is no sweet tea at restaurants (that is tragic).

But, if anyone loves winter, NH is a great little state.

I've lived a lot of different places, but am happy here in New York State. The taxes don't bother me at all. I'd like winters to be a little shorter, but it's not a big deal.

After almost 63 years in Northern New England, I followed my daughters and their respective families to NC. That was 10 months ago. I have not regretted it for one minute. Weather is so much nicer here than NE, not a flake of snow yet, so many things to do, places to see, places to eat and I have, truthfully, never met anyone yet that isn't friendly, helpful and ready to accept you as your own. The cost of living is way lower, taxes are lower, rents and housing are cheaper. It is wonderful.

My highest energy bill this winter was $61.00. That included lights, heat, hot water, electric stove and air conditioning. (believe it or not, I've had to put it on a couple of times this winter). Back home I would have spent more than that just for electricity and then added another couple of hundred dollars, per month, for heating fuel.

Until my family moved here, NC was nowhere on my radar. I am so glad it was on theirs.

If you had been here starting around Dec. '10 until late Feb. '11, you would have thought you were still in northern New England, lol -- I thought our state had been moved and just didn't know it. ;) We had a LOT of snow last year (Triad area) and my kids had to make up somewhere around two weeks of school days. Definitely a different winter this year, ha ha. Glad you're enjoying it here! :)

My husband, kids and I moved from North Central Pennsylvania to Central Florida a week before Christmas. Just over a month ago. We left Pennsylvania, because we were getting tired of the gas industry. Pennsylvania has a HUGE supply of Marcellus Shale and in return, alot of natural gas. So, my tiny hometown and neighboring towns are seeing an influx of people from out of state. Many from Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. They are completely destroying our land and have no regrets about it. It's quite disgusting, really.

The crime rates are going through the roof. Before the gas industry moved in, we may have had one stabbing or shooting every few years. Now it's every weekend. An 80 year old woman was killed when she was hit by a gas truck as she was crossing the street at the red light. He didn't slow down. People are being run off the roads. Sides of mountains are completely gone. We lost our house due to the gas industry.

We were in a land contract and in the process of buying our house. Our contract was up and we needed to get a traditional loan through a bank. At the last minute, the owners decided to not sell to us. We were buying the house for $60,000. They now have it on the market for $127,000. :eek: One bedroom apartments on the second floor used to go for $500 a month. Now, someone would be lucky to find one for $1200 a month. The water is tainted with gas. My aunt and uncle's neighbors have gas in their water. If you light a match next to their faucet, it catches the water on fire. The gas people are denying it is their fault. However, it was just fine until they started drilling in the field next to the house. One well blew up and it has been covered up.

I grew up in Pennsylvania. It kills me to talk people out of moving there. But, it also kills me to see what they are doing. Also, Pennsylvania is the only state that does NOT charge taxes to the gas industry. So, they can rape our land and not be held responsible for the damage. :sad1:

Florida has been a very good move for us so far. It might be a different story in the summer!! ;)

Michelle :flower3:

If you had been here starting around Dec. '10 until late Feb. '11, you would have thought you were still in northern New England, lol -- I thought our state had been moved and just didn't know it. ;) We had a LOT of snow last year (Triad area) and my kids had to make up somewhere around two weeks of school days. Definitely a different winter this year, ha ha. Glad you're enjoying it here! :)

I actually was here for the storm the day after Christmas in 2010 visiting my daughters over the holiday.
CIMG0122.jpg

I know what it can be, but that experience convinced me that winter here and winter in NE are not even comparable. Within two days of that storm here in Cary, the snow had just about all melted and I was once again able to go out without a coat. BIG DIFFERENCE! The reason that you folks had that many snow days was basically because people don't know how to drive in snow. That storm in December allowed me to have millions of dollars worth of super highways completely to myself.

I am holding out for a continued nice winter because my welcome to the Raleigh area was on April 16th the day the tornado touched down here. Even that didn't discourage me. Tornado's roar through quickly. If they miss you, no harm. Winter never goes away. After I went back to Vermont after that December visit, it snowed everyday...no exaggeration...every day through the beginning of April. I had to watch a video to remember what sunshine looked like. That included a major Nor'Easter in March that left 2 and a half feet of snow in one storm. Oh, the stories I could tell. :rotfl:

Come on to South Carolina - we'd LOVE to have you! I am in Columbia - 2 hours to the beach, 2 hours to the mountains, and 6 1/2 hours to Disney World!

That picture (with all the snow) made me think how much I really want to move to Florida...southern Florida. Now if only there were jobs and decent schools.

We are leaving NV in 5 weeks, heading to an hour NW of Austin, TX:cool1:
My job is relocating me. We are excited, apprehensive and losing our minds with all the things we need to get done but this morning when I awoke to 18 degrees I said for the 100th time, I will not miss N. NV winters.

Come on to South Carolina - we'd LOVE to have you! I am in Columbia - 2 hours to the beach, 2 hours to the mountains, and 6 1/2 hours to Disney World!

Thanks for the invite. I'll be sure to let you know when we coming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter