• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in Arizona and had to sign my grandmother up for her shot, the website can be very difficult to navigate if you aren't very computer literate. It requires you to verify your email several times and when it comes time to schedule you have to go through each day to find an available time. A lot of older people are struggling with it and don't understand they can't get it at their doctors.
I have read so many stories like this about the elderly, it is sad many dont use computers. Here in Fl they established phone lines for seniors, but they can't get through.
Distribution is problematic throughout the nation. Lets hope that distribution gets faster!

My BIL got the vaccine (he's the chief of medicine for a local hospital). He had a reaction after the second dose. He said he felt "awful" - fever, chills, etc. like he was sick. It lasted about 24hrs and then he felt better.

They are having an issue at his hospital with leftover vaccines. They can't find enough people to give it to, so at the end of the day they have some leftover. He's literally walking around the hospital every day asking people if they want it (if they fall in the eligible group). Unfortunately, they can't "give" the leftover vials to another local hospital, etc. because they are not allowed. Any unused vaccine that can't be salvaged has to be thrown away.
Things like this make me so insane. Bureaucracy never uses common sense. The same thing is happening here in NYS and you can't even make an appointment through their system. Everything says it's booked the phone line doesnt work. Yet, there are similar stories of having leftovers and not knowing what to do with them. I don't get why they didn't think this through better.

I am a teacher in NY and it took hours for me to get appt as it kept kicking me out and Shutting down. My husband was at work trying to get his 74 year old father with Parkinson’s an appt and I was making my mother in law who is 69 an appt. This took forever and required much patience and diligence. It kicked us out numerous times. However we were able to get their appts. Different days and different sites. It was more stressful than a Black Friday purchase! We put down our emails since we will probably be driving them anyhow. That way any confirmation went to us. I agree that elderly people and people who don’t use computers on a daily basis will have a very hard time with this.

I was a teacher in NY but changed professions in late 2020. I got some information to set up an appointment, but then got booted out of process because I'm not a teacher anymore. I can see how glitches like this are probably overloading the system. In a perfect world, I wouldn't have been given that information in the first place.

There is no way for anyone to be on top of everything, which I am sure NY state is just finding out.

That's fine, I am working in a very socially distanced office and really don't have too many threat factors.

Hi. My Mom got her first dose here in Orlando on Friday. She is 70 and in mostly good health. She has 1 lung due to breast cancer about 20 years ago but other than that, she’s healthy. I’m excited to say that her major issues were the pain in the arm and she was a bit lethargic on Saturday. Then today, she got her energy back and her arm doesn’t hurt as bad. She didn’t seem to have any issues with getting the first appointment and actually it came quicker than she expected. I didn’t see many reports about people having mild side effects so I did want to share her experience. Good luck everyone.

The homeless are an incredibly vulnerable population.
There are many vulnerable populations in terms of exposure levels. The PP referred them receiving preferential treatment over the general population, by receiving it even at a young age with no pre-existing conditions.

The homeless are an incredibly vulnerable population. God forbid they be protected.

Once again, nobody is saying they shouldn't be protected. We're discussing the order of vaccination, not whether someone should be vaccinated at all. Making that jump just heats up the conversation unnecessarily.

I agree they are a vulnerable group and likely to be involved in outbreaks. But I do find myself wondering how they will ensure they show up for their second dose. This group might be better suited to the one dose J&J vaccine when it becomes available.

Once again, nobody is saying they shouldn't be protected. We're discussing the order of vaccination, not whether someone should be vaccinated at all. Making that jump just heats up the conversation unnecessarily.

I agree they are a vulnerable group and likely to be involved in outbreaks. But I do find myself wondering how they will ensure they show up for their second dose. This group might be better suited to the one dose J&J vaccine when it becomes available.
It's a valid point, one I've never disagreed either regarding 2 doses. But that point is the same for all the random people who 'surprise' got their vaccine. The ones at that Walgreens, the ones who were given to it when temperature sensors went off, the ones who went grocery shopping walking out with a shot, the ones who were able to put themselves on a waiting list and randomly got called. Who is making sure those people are properly tracked in a system, that there is a dose accounted for in the ones sent to a specific area and that those people come back in. From a process standpoint I'm more worried about some of the chaotic decisions made with doses there.

I think a 1 shot dose would be great for homeless population but shelters present an issue with spread. At least in KS it includes those in domestic violence shelters, safe houses and emergency shelters among other homeless shelters and housing. I'm not disagreeing with your point though but I think a state has to make plans with what they have now. If J&J gets approved within a reasonable time then states, including KS, may be able to keep the order as it is but switch up to a more situational appropriate vaccine even though some states will have already started with using 2 dose vaccines with their homeless population.

Hi. My Mom got her first dose here in Orlando on Friday. She is 70 and in mostly good health. She has 1 lung due to breast cancer about 20 years ago but other than that, she’s healthy. I’m excited to say that her major issues were the pain in the arm and she was a bit lethargic on Saturday. Then today, she got her energy back and her arm doesn’t hurt as bad. She didn’t seem to have any issues with getting the first appointment and actually it came quicker than she expected. I didn’t see many reports about people having mild side effects so I did want to share her experience. Good luck everyone.
Thanks for this. My mom also has one lung due to cancer 9 years ago and I am eager for her to get the vaccine but have also been nervous about potential side effects for her. It’s nice to hear first hand from someone with a similar health profile. So happy for your mom!

Thanks for this. My mom also has one lung due to cancer 9 years ago and I am eager for her to get the vaccine but have also been nervous about potential side effects for her. It’s nice to hear first hand from someone with a similar health profile. So happy for your mom!
You are very welcome. I am so glad it has helped you. When I was doing research all I really saw was negative bad side effects. I was in the same boat as you. Still am and probably will be until she gets the second one. I said it’s kind of like product or location reviews. People don’t always leave good reviews when things go well, just bad when things go wrong. I wish you and your Mom all the luck! Please don’t hesitate to PM if you have any questions. If I can’t answer, I will try and find out. 😊

Here in TN my county has teachers in phase 1b, but they said late Feb/early March is when they will start...originally they said early Feb but it is slow here...it also may change if TN adopts the recommendations of the WH to open to 65 and older or those with pre-existing conditions right now. Currently pre-existing conditions are 1c here, so hoping they get moved up since my husband is 1c and working at his job onsite. Seems like KY has in general had a better response than TN even early in the pandemic

In my TN county those 75+ and older were able to sign up last week for a limited number of vaccines. Apparently the month of January was filled quickly. I'm hoping that the next round will include those 70+ so that I can get my dad on the list. Mom's 65 and recovering from cancer, but I don't see her being added to the list for a while.

Both DH and I received our second doses on Thursday. I had no side effects this time other than a mildly sore arm. DH on the other hand woke up with a fever, headache, and body aches. He did the unthinkable, took the day off work and slept the whole day. By Saturday, he was essentially back to normal.

I feel fortunate that my employer had the vaccine as there are many in the local medical community who are still waiting on their first doses.

There are many vulnerable populations in terms of exposure levels. The PP referred them receiving preferential treatment over the general population, by receiving it even at a young age with no pre-existing conditions.

The poster I quoted has repeatedly implied that certain at risk, vulnerable groups are less deserving of early vaccines than others. Last time it was prisoners. I find that appalling.

The poster I quoted has repeatedly implied that certain at risk, vulnerable groups are less deserving of early vaccines than others. Last time it was prisoners. I find that appalling.
Meh. People grouse all the time about this group or that getting vaccinated first. It isn't appalling at all. It's an understandable reaction to a serious shortage situation, such as we are in with the Covid vaccine. There are different rationales for vaccinating different groups first, or for having no order at all. Everyone has the right to their opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
Meh. People grouse all the time about this group or that getting vaccinated first. It isn't appalling at all. It's an understandable reaction to a critical shortage situation, such as we are in with the Covid vaccine. There are different rationales for vaccinating different groups, or for having no order at all. Everyone has the right to their opinion on the matter.
Compassion for one's situation goes for all.

There's annoyance or questioning towards a particular order and there's an actual attitude towards a subset of the population. I believe most people discuss with a questioning towards an order which usually leads to decent enough conversations but that isn't how all comments are coming off.

Compassion for one's situation goes for all.

There's annoyance or questioning towards a particular order and there's an actual attitude towards a subset of the population. I believe most people discuss with a questioning towards an order which usually leads to decent enough conversations but that isn't how all comments are coming off.
Some people tend to read offense into comments where none was intended. Before harshly judging a comment, have compassion for a poster who is seriously concerned about themselves or their family being able to be vaccinated.

Some people tend to read offense into comments where none was intended. Before harshly judging a comment, have compassion for a poster who is seriously concerned about themselves or their family being able to be vaccinated.
I don't think anyone isn't having compassion, probably would be best to take your own advice and not judge a comment such that people aren't. I'm sure the mom who left an abusive relationship with nowhere to go is seriously concerned about their family being able to get vaccinated as well. That's what I mean by compassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter