• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's sad. I do have a question about it though. If the residents at the LTC get it, they will be protected, correct? (Up to 95%, or whatever the efficacy is). And if they do come in contact with an infected worker and contract Covid, their case should hopefully be not severe? (I think that is what the vaccine does?) I personally think all of the employees that are able to get it should, but if they won't cases should still go down in LTC facilities?

I got my first dose (Moderna) Tuesday afternoon. Mildly sore arm, no other side effects!! Bring on #2!!

That’s my thinking. That’s why I told my dad then they should just skip the employees and give it to the residents! My grandma wants it NOW. (Or 1.5 weeks ago like told originally). You don’t want it...fine...let’s get them to the people who want them. No time to waste.

That’s my thinking. That’s why I told my dad then they should just skip the employees and give it to the residents! My grandma wants it NOW. (Or 1.5 weeks ago like told originally). You don’t want it...fine...let’s get them to the people who want them. No time to waste.
Yes. Time is of the essence.

I'm surprised that the company's message is they are "more than disappointed that this individual’s actions will result in a delay of more than 500 people receiving their vaccine.” ....more than disappointed?? Well they seem to be taking it better than I am...me? I'm sitting here like how heartless and awful do you have to be to intentionally do something like that?
I would go even further & say evil.

That's sad. I do have a question about it though. If the residents at the LTC get it, they will be protected, correct? (Up to 95%, or whatever the efficacy is). And if they do come in contact with an infected worker and contract Covid, their case should hopefully be not severe? (I think that is what the vaccine does?) I personally think all of the employees that are able to get it should, but if they won't cases should still go down in LTC facilities?

I got my first dose (Moderna) Tuesday afternoon. Mildly sore arm, no other side effects!! Bring on #2!!
Unfortunately, only vaccinating the residents won't help with future residents that may not have been able to get the shot for whatever reason. I'm sure there are also people who are severely immunocompromised in LTC facilities that the vaccine may not be very effective for.

Last edited:

Just the usual huh?

Seriously though. The common side effects seem to be similar to severe cold symptoms, which means it's just building an immune response. Of course no everyone gets a severe immune response.

My wife compared it to a Tetanus shot. Pain at the injection site, with aches all over. It was all gone in a day or two.

Shot on Wednesday and sore arm gone now. I checked with the facility I got my first dose and over 40 employees got their shot the first day too (majority of them). Not sure how many residents yet, but I’d expect most of them will eventually- especially as they see their “neighbors” get it without problems.
We are anticipating the vax be mandatory at some point, Not sure how I feel about “mandatory”- it’s hard enough to find quality employees (hard hours, high burnout, low pay comparatively speaking). I feel much better nonjudgmental education is better...and has been proven to work as well.
Oh wow. Since residents are most at risk from the people who work there, that's really disappointing. What a waste.
disappointing for sure. I wonder if the facility already went through an outbreak though? Perhaps good clear education wasn’t provided.

This is an interesting article from boston.com. MA Governor Baker criticizing those who “cut the line” for the vaccine, saying he and Lt Gov will “wait their turn”.

But then there’s this. Apparently Moderna, the Cambridge, MA, company, announced Tuesday (did anyone see this?) that they were going to give the vaccine to all their ”workers, contractors and board members”, as well as the adults those individuals live with 😳, while Pfizer has said their employees will wait their turns.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2020/12/30/charlie-baker-coronavirus-vaccine-line-cutting
“During a press conference Wednesday, the Massachusetts governor criticized the increasing number of people — from public figures to congressional aides to pharmaceutical executives — who are being offered the vaccine at a time when state and federal guidelines say the limited number of doses should only be available to the individuals who are most exposed or vulnerable to the disease.

“I don’t understand why a lot of the people who cut the line cut it,” Baker said. “I just don’t. It doesn’t make any sense to me. And I think it’s inconsistent with the message that we have all tried to send on this, which is: While we recognize and understand that everybody would like to be vaccinated today, there are some people who are at far greater risk, from a health point of view, than others, and they really ought to be prioritized.”

Moderna, the Cambridge-based biotech firm that developed one of the two COVID-19 vaccines that have currently been approved in the United States, announced Tuesday that it would offer it vaccine to its “workers, contractors and board members,” as well as any adults who those individuals live with. The announcement drew mixed reactions, The Boston Globe reported Wednesday.

Asked about Moderna’s plan to offer their vaccine to board members, Baker said he didn’t want “anything to happen that slows down the ability of any of these companies to manufacture vaccines and get it to people.” The governor noted that his administration provided personal protective equipment to a company in Massachusetts that was manufacturing ventilators during the spring COVID-19 surge for similar reasons.

In contrast to Moderna, officials at Pfizer, the other manufacturer of a federally approved COVID-19 vaccine, said they plan to vaccinate employees as they become eligible per under federal guidelines. Pfizer has 88,000 employees globally, compared with Moderna’s 1,200-person workforce.

“There are no plans to prioritize the vaccination of our executives or board members ahead of other high-risk groups,” a Pfizer statement said, as first reported Tuesday by CNBC.”

Post vaccine update: I received the Pfizer vaccine around noon on Wednesday 12/30. Within 2 hours I had tenderness at the injection site, that whole arm was sore, and I had a headache. By 8PM that night I still had those things but also had generalized body and joint aches, fatigue, and swollen, tender lymph nodes. Those symptoms continued through the next day. Today the joint and body aches are much better and the lymph nodes are still swollen but no longer tender. I still have a headache and fatigue.

Mil (in Tennessee) got her first Moderna vaccine at the local drive through site for those over 75 this morning.

Opened at 8 am. She was in line by 6:30 am with about 10 cars ahead of her. By the time she left at 8:45 the line was at least a mile long.

They were to be there until 4 or the doses ran out. They published other days this week for shots, too.

She had a 'mild' case of Covid in July and still gets short of breath easily.

She was excited to get it. 2nd dose at the end of the month.

So glad to see the general population begin getting it!

Mil (in Tennessee) got her first Moderna vaccine at the local drive through site for those over 75 this morning.

Opened at 8 am. She was in line by 6:30 am with about 10 cars ahead of her. By the time she left at 8:45 the line was at least a mile long.

They were to be there until 4 or the doses ran out. They published other days this week for shots, too.

My DH was contacted by his doctor’s office on Thursday and scheduled to get it next Thursday morning.

We live in a city with a very large, very well regarded medical center. Rather than doing public drive throughs or line ups, they seem to be managing limited supply via organizations and doctor’s offices.

Last week it was offered through a school district contact to teachers who meet 1B, and I got mine. DH and my 78 year old mom were contacted by their doctors although mom hasn’t been given an appointment yet.

DH is a Community College Administrator and he is working with the hospital contact to get his employees who qualify 1b scheduled.

I don’t know if it’s the fairest method but it does seem to be really organized and getting the vaccine available quickly in arms.

Last edited:
I am a Medicaid RN care manager in Wisconsin. I have not been told when we are eligible for the vaccine. We are required to do face to face visits with our members who we cannot make wear masks in their homes. I can honestly say of my members, only 2 have worn their masks for our visits. In Wisconsin, over 75 have not yet been able to get on the list and my DD21 is a PCR at a local clinic and has not been offered the vaccination. :( Waiting patiently.

I think so but am not positive. In the AZ trial. Definitely had mild aches, headache, and my arm was sore.

desperately hoping my parents (both 77) can get theirs soon. My mom wants the Pfizer vaccine and I told her to please take what’s available when it’s available.

I am a Medicaid RN care manager in Wisconsin. I have not been told when we are eligible for the vaccine. We are required to do face to face visits with our members who we cannot make wear masks in their homes. I can honestly say of my members, only 2 have worn their masks for our visits. In Wisconsin, over 75 have not yet been able to get on the list and my DD21 is a PCR at a local clinic and has not been offered the vaccination. :( Waiting patiently.
You should be eligible for it now. WI is following CDC recommendations and all healthcare workers are in group 1A. At least two of the big medical groups on the east side of the state are vaccinating all of their employees. My wife does IT for one of them and she got her first dose last Tuesday.

You should be eligible for it now. WI is following CDC recommendations and all healthcare workers are in group 1A. At least two of the big medical groups on the east side of the state are vaccinating all of their employees. My wife does IT for one of them and she got her first dose last Tuesday.

My MCO has not provided information. They say they are waiting for updates from DHS. I went to DHS last week and they forwarded it to the appropriate department, but never received a response. I have other nurse friends in the Green Bay hospitals that have been getting them, but I know that there are local nursing homes that haven't received their vaccinations yet either. :(

Also in TN and my county had the first clinic with 500 doses for healthcare and 75+. It was first come first serve and it was a mess—people bunched together waiting in line for hours. They ran out 45 min in. Another friend in a county in TN reported her parents waited for almost 4 hrs only to be turned away because they had a shingles vaccine a week ago. I understand the reasoning for not wanting to vaccinate due to recent other vaccination, but that would be frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter