• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate the game, not the player.
You know I agree with that but some of these comments, stray into personal territory even while discussing generics.

If I was a 20 or 30 year old grocery store worker no way would I admit that on this thread (even though they are in a setting where they have frequent exposures to the general population). Too many comments directed towards that group with disdain that they would be considered before someone else and that's just one example. My mom is out of a job and she was looking at going to retail or grocery store environment (grocery store is one of the few places that has openings these days). She's 62 no pre-existing health risks but she would get vaccinated before her age group in our state simply because she be working at a grocery store (if that's where she ended up).

Someone referred me to this very in-depth article.
I agree with the other poster talking about the retractions and controversy, but to add a bit; natural infection suppresses your immune response at first, which ultimately leads to a hyper-immune state called a cytokine storm (I’m skipping more than a few steps here but I’m going for surface level). This hyper-immune state is where you have auto-immune responses that lead to inflammation and lung damage.

While the vaccines do create similar antibodies, they do so without the lead up steps that generate a cytokine storm like getting SARS would. This allows your body to be trained to detect the virus before it can suppress your immune system, which should prevent you from getting sick in the first place, preventing the whole immune cascade and auto-immune response he’s claiming.

Nothing in his paper is by itself incorrect, it’s just alarmist and missing a lot of context that invalidates his premise.

You know I agree with that but some of these comments, stray into personal territory even while discussing generics.

If I was a 20 or 30 year old grocery store worker no way would I admit that on this thread (even though they are in a setting where they have frequent exposures to the general population). Too many comments directed towards that group with disdain that they would be considered before someone else and that's just one example. My mom is out of a job and she was looking at going to retail or grocery store environment (grocery store is one of the few places that has openings these days). She's 62 no pre-existing health risks but she would get vaccinated before her age group in our state simply because she be working at a grocery store (if that's where she ended up).
If you are talking about my comments about a 20 or 30 year old, I never mentioned a grocery store worker. I believe that they are frontline workers and should get their vaccines as soon as possible. I mentioned individuals "working from home".

If you are talking about my comments about a 20 or 30 year old, I never mentioned a grocery store worker. I believe that they are frontline workers and should get their vaccines as soon as possible. I mentioned individuals "working from home".
There's been multiple comments towards that group, it was not aimed at any one poster in particular :)

I personally think if you’re been working in a grocery store then you should get it, regardless of your age. I’ve seen the same people at the grocery store I go to since April. They were still driving to work when the roads were empty and they’re still there now.

I’m in my 30’s and I’m included in the next group. I’m getting it at the first opportunity. I have nothing to apologize for and if there is anyone that thinks I shouldn’t get it then oh well.

Unless you are dealing with someone who is manipulating the system then it’s no big deal. The Disney employee in California didn’t do anything wrong with getting the vaccine. The only thing they did, which was absolutely stupid, was post it on Facebook.

Last edited:
I dont agree with this. So a 35 year old IT or HR person who has no contact with patients gets one just because they work at a hospital but have no medical duties, but a 75 year old with diabetes who is at higher risk of having complications doesn’t. The 75 is more likely to contribute to the overwhelming of the healthcare system. My husband is 42 with a congenital heart disease that is high risk. He will get one earlier than some because he works at a government facility doing critical work, but normally he would fall behind a lot because he is too young even though he has pre-existing conditions. A friend who is a lawyer for the police dept (not an actual first responder) is getting one tomorrow but healthcare workers involved in actual patient care have not gotten one in my state...
This is going to happen in the early stages of vaccine deployment. Hospitals are getting the doses and they have to be given out once they’re defrosted. If the person they had scheduled backs out or can‘t get it at that point, they have to give it to someone. And they have to give it to someone they’ll know they’ll be able to track for their second dose as they’re not fully set up for outside citizens when they’re just inoculating their staff right now. If a person winds up in the right place at the right time, they get it. Nothing to be angry about.

This is going to happen in the early stages of vaccine deployment. Hospitals are getting the doses and they have to be given out once they’re defrosted. If the person they had scheduled backs out or can‘t get it at that point, they have to give it to someone. And they have to give it to someone they’ll know they’ll be able to track for their second dose as they’re not fully set up for outside citizens when they’re just inoculating their staff right now. If a person winds up in the right place at the right time, they get it. Nothing to be angry about.
I got the vaccine today because this exact set up happened at my University. The University set up tiers for medical students, Faculty and staff. The amount of medical and faculty who have opted out or not shown up to their appointments has allowed the University to move on to the next tier and as staff, I was able to get mine today. I should benefit if they chose to opt out. Our lovely state of Texas has chosen to divert from the CDC recommendations and decided to skip frontline workers and give vaccines to elderly. You can't win either way. At the end of the day, the goal is get people vaccinated however we can.

This may vary by state, however, my question is this: My DH is over 65 with medical issues that would put him in a high risk category, I am not yet 65, would I qualify to get the vaccine with him? I hadn’t thought about that but someone mentioned to me that since we live together, I would be bumped up due to DH. It will be what it will be, and will wait my turn but hadn’t seen that scenario addressed.
I’m going to say no, but I suppose it doesn’t hurt to ask. In my state, they are two different groups, regardless of living together.

Our lovely state of Texas has chosen to divert from the CDC recommendations and decided to skip frontline workers and give vaccines to elderly. You can't win either way.
Yep. I'm a 46 year-old in-person public schoolteacher in Texas, frontline full-time essential worker and have been since September. We were not given a choice as to whether to teach in-person or virtually, and I was chosen for in-person teaching. In January, my class will have 20 students in it. Yes, I will spend all day working with 20 in-person students in a standard public school classroom, sitting about 3 feet apart. And I can't get a vaccine before that hypothetical 30 year-old who's working from home. And there are plenty of in-person teachers in their 50's working under these conditions, too.

I think there should be a compromise between the CDC's "everyone over 75 and all essential workers" and Texas's "over 65 only". I think "everyone over 70 and essential workers over 40" would be more fair and helpful.

This may vary by state, however, my question is this: My DH is over 65 with medical issues that would put him in a high risk category, I am not yet 65, would I qualify to get the vaccine with him? I hadn’t thought about that but someone mentioned to me that since we live together, I would be bumped up due to DH. It will be what it will be, and will wait my turn but hadn’t seen that scenario addressed.

No family members are being bumped up. Not even family members of healthcare professionals.
At least in CA.

I mean, just thinking about it, that would mean at least twice as many people could possibly be in group 1A then. Does not make sense.

My wife got the vaccine two days ago. Not much to share. She had the first dose two days ago and went to work the next day. As near as I can tell, work has the same side effects after the vaccine as before: tired, cranky, just wants dinner and a pony.
Just the usual huh?

Seriously though. The common side effects seem to be similar to severe cold symptoms, which means it's just building an immune response. Of course no everyone gets a severe immune response.

Yep. I'm a 46 year-old in-person public schoolteacher in Texas, frontline full-time essential worker and have been since September. We were not given a choice as to whether to teach in-person or virtually, and I was chosen for in-person teaching. In January, my class will have 20 students in it. Yes, I will spend all day working with 20 in-person students in a standard public school classroom, sitting about 3 feet apart. And I can't get a vaccine before that hypothetical 30 year-old who's working from home. And there are plenty of in-person teachers in their 50's working under these conditions, too.

I think there should be a compromise between the CDC's "everyone over 75 and all essential workers" and Texas's "over 65 only". I think "everyone over 70 and essential workers over 40" would be more fair and helpful.
TX transparency is really nice to see.

Suggestion: you may want to watch this, and contact the retail pharmacy directly

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/up...tion-Week3.pdf

As a person who's listened in on the committee calls to delineate who is in the 39+ subgroups of phase 1A of our hospital staff; it certainly isn't the 30yo work-from-home folk getting the invites.

That 2M admin vs 12M doses delivered ratio sure didn't get down to SoCal. We're pulling 6+ per vial and making every single one count and remain vaccine supply constrained as the limiting factor. Delivery of 40M or even 20M doses can't happen fast enough. Get that done and all this pecking order clamoring is mitigated.

I can’t remember if I posted this already but a good friend of mine’s parents had Covid in December ( got it from a family member at Thanksgiving- just 2 couples celebrating) and are still in a rehab facility down in Florida.

My friend who is in Chicago is dealing with medical staff over the phones and it’s just frustrated and the lack of communication and basically how things are being run down there. Her overall feeling is that staff are just simply overwhelmed.

Long story short her parents are in some elder care/rehabilitation center where they have moved covet patients. She assumes once you are no longer in ICU threat they’re moving patients out to this facility. She assumes both parents have now tested negative but are still recovering but the strange thing is last week they both got the vaccine!!!! Which really threw her for a loop seeing that both parents are still recovering from Covid. Her mom is on oxygen, but has been for over a year due to other illnesses, and her dad is so weak he cannot longer even drive at the moment.

so she’s thinking that somehow the facility messed up and gave her parents the vaccine when they shouldn’t have gotten it. We understand that yes if you’ve had Covid you should still get the shot but are questioning if her parents got it way too soon. Both are doing well considering the situation they are in. She’s just trying to figure out home care ( cleaning, laundry, shopping help) and long term if her dad is still able to drive back home in April. Her parents are snowbirds but at the moment it’s looking like her dad will not be able to make the drive back home up north. Severe exhaustion is his issue right now. Both her parents were nowhere near the age or situation to be in any type of nursing care, but now they need help with day-to-day living.

I got my first shot Monday morning. Thankfully all I had was a little bit of arm soreness.
I work at a hospital but happened to get it on my day off. I had to wait 15 minutes to leave. Those who were working that day and going back to work didn’t have to wait but needed to tell their coworkers they had the shot in case they started to have a reaction.

National plan wouldn't work. Every state is different and it's up to the Governor's and state and county health departments. Every state is so different in terms of population and demographics. Your employer shouldn't matter unless you work for a health network or a front line job. How did you and your sister get it? I retired from a Federal agency that was considered very essential, but they aren't getting it for their employees. People need to be pissed at their Governor's for their lack of plans considering they had to turn them into the CDC a few months ago. They were supposed to plan.

Good points. Just as the entire pandemic has been handled differently from state to state so will vaccinating.
I got the vaccine today because this exact set up happened at my University. The University set up tiers for medical students, Faculty and staff. The amount of medical and faculty who have opted out or not shown up to their appointments has allowed the University to move on to the next tier and as staff, I was able to get mine today. I should benefit if they chose to opt out. Our lovely state of Texas has chosen to divert from the CDC recommendations and decided to skip frontline workers and give vaccines to elderly. You can't win either way. At the end of the day, the goal is get people vaccinated however we can.

I’m in Texas, as well, and suspect that those ahead of me opting out pushed me up the line. I personally know a firefighter and a nurse who both opted to wait last week.

My sister and I are both Texas teachers working in person since August. Our district sent an email out Monday with Texas 1B criteria and instructions to respond if we met any. We both responded, and were then contacted by the hospital and given an appointment for yesterday. I hope that all ahead of me were given the opportunity first but I can’t control that.

Every hospital worker is essential. Hospitals (and their outpatient sites) don’t over staff. We’re actually constantly understaffed.

my hospital system stopped all work from home in June so everyone is on site. The only work from home employees we have are outsourced IT people so they aren’t even our employees.

Imagine if whole departments that have zero patient contact go down with covid. If the call center (which are mostly 20-30 year old women) goes down who’s taking calls, who will schedule appointments, who will help patients. Or if surgical schedulers have an outbreak? Who schedules surgeries then? IT are busy working in the creation of our field hospitals. They are in patient sites working regularly (but not having actual patient contact), especially now. What happens if there’s an outbreak in the hospital pharmacy? Or admin staff? These are all jobs with no patient contact.

It’s a trickle effect at hospital and outpatient offices. If entire departments have outbreaks, even departments with zero patient contact, it effects everyone. And it’ll get ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter