• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if the pp is from CA but I do know they just did the vaccines in the prison in Stockton. I have no qualms with them giving it to the guards, medical personnel and food workers but to young prisoners? My daughter's long term skilled hasn't gotten permission yet to vaccinate their cna's or RNs which is awful 3 people have already died there from it and many cna's have been sick from it.

I say let the inmates get the vaccine. Young and old.

My XH was a CO. He brought all kinds of crap home from work. One if the worse was ring worm that went through all of us. Took MONTHS to get rid of because it got on my sons head. He lost a patch of hair and had to go through two months of oral meds. My infant daughter got it on her face. I had it on my head too. It was awful.

I dont know if the pp is from CA but I do know they just did the vaccines in the prison in Stockton. I have no qualms with them giving it to the guards, medical personnel and food workers but to young prisoners? My daughter's long term skilled hasn't gotten permission yet to vaccinate their cna's or RNs which is awful 3 people have already died there from it and many cna's have been sick from it.

That prison in Stockton that you are referring to is called CHCF. It’s a state prison that houses inmates with long term medical illnesses. It’s not a regular prison. And, the reports said that only 65 people in total (staff and inmates) with the most risks, without breaking down how many staff and inmates, were vaccinated. It’s not like they vaccinated all 2,000+ staff and inmates.

Edited to Add:
It will be some time before even most 1b priority people in CA gets a vaccine. There are almost 2.5 million people in a healthcare role and CA didn't even get allocated that many doses.

Last edited:
I say let the inmates get the vaccine. Young and old.

My XH was a CO. He brought all kinds of crap home from work. One if the worse was ring worm that went through all of us. Took MONTHS to get rid of because it got on my sons head. He lost a patch of hair and had to go through two months of oral meds. My infant daughter got it on her face. I had it on my head too. It was awful.
Nobody is arguing against vaccinating inmates. Just against vaccinating them before high risk elderly. And nobody is arguing against prioritzing staff in prisons (at least I'm not). Not sure where they fall right now, but I agree they should be a high priority. Just not the general prison population. Honestly, my parents have lived like they were incarcerated for the past 9 months. And they didn't commit any crime. And don't have that much time left in life at 80 and 87.
That prison in Stockton that you are referring to is called CHCF. It’s a state prison that houses inmates with long term medical illnesses. It’s not a regular prison. And, the reports said that only 65 people in total (staff and inmates) with the most risks, without breaking down how many staff and inmates, were vaccinated. It’s not like they vaccinated all 2,000+ staff and inmates.
Seems reasonable. I think people are just jumpy on this issue because they've seen drafts of priority lists putting general prison populations higher than high risk elderly. Hopefully they have had a change of heart on that.

Nobody is arguing against vaccinating inmates. Just against vaccinating them before high risk elderly. And nobody is arguing against prioritzing staff in prisons (at least I'm not). Not sure where they fall right now, but I agree they should be a high priority. Just not the general prison population. Honestly, my parents have lived like they were incarcerated for the past 9 months. And they didn't commit any crime. And don't have that much time left in life at 80 and 87.

Seems reasonable. I think people are just jumpy on this issue because they've seen drafts of priority lists putting general prison populations higher than high risk elderly. Hopefully they have had a change of heart on that.

I really don’t know what my opinion is on what order they should be given the vaccine. I wouldn’t be upset if the government decided with them receiving it before the elderly or after the elderly.

Considering the demographic of inmates I would assume most wouldn’t want the vaccine anyway. So it may not be an issue if it’s not mandatory for them.

since the beginning, the supposed reason for having lockdowns was to keep hospitals from being swamped.
Currently, the hospitals in many places, including california are indeed swamped, with no available ICU beds.
The way to reduce pressure on hospitals is to vaccinate the population that is most likely to go critical - the elderly.
This is the logic for vaccinating the elderly right after medical staff.
I hear people saying vaccinate young adult populations to contain spread, but that's just not possible in any reasonable amount of time.
There are too many young people and not enough vaccine.
There are far fewer elderly, therefore much easier to cover with the limited vaccine.
And again, it's the elderly who are most likely to end up in the hospital.

[QUOTE="indimom, post: 62552411, member: 20345

I don't know if it would have decreased how strong my immune response was. Our infection prevention coordinator was involved throughout my infection and quarantine process; and, they encouraged me to get the vaccine in this round.
[/QUOTE]
Healthcare institutions assume that people who have had Covid are less likely to be re-infected.
I don't think your place in line was based on your immune response to the vaccine.
I also believe the vaccine distribution timelines were based on the assumption that a lot more people would be getting the vaccine.
I don't think the fear factor was taken into account.

DD (RN) got the Pfizer vaccine on Tuesday. She had a short period of feeling a little unwell about 30 hours after getting it (so the following night) with a mild headache and sweatiness, but was fine the next morning. (I might’ve peeked in on her a few times overnight. 😉)

I wasn’t paying attention to scheduling as well as I should’ve been due to a death in the family, so I missed the first round after they ran out. Subsequently I am getting the Moderna vaccine this weekend. 🤞🏻

This was in our local news:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/12/25/allergic-reaction-moderna-vaccine
I also saw some reports about people with facial fillers having local reactions at their surgical sights after the Moderna vaccine, but they were successfully treated with steroids and Benadryl. (Glad I skipped the Botox!)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13....e-effects-covid-19-fda-dr-shirley-chi/9083838

This is the logic for vaccinating the elderly right after medical staff
Sadly I'm an NHS nurse and we haven't been offered the vaccine yet, but my 94 year old neighbour who doesn't really leave the house (even pre-covid) has been given his first dose. This doesn't make any sense to me. Yes I may have more chance of recovery, but it takes me out of my job for at least 10 days and it's these quarantine periods that are crippling the NHS, not just the number of patients.

I think people are just jumpy on this issue because they've seen drafts of priority lists putting general prison populations higher than high risk elderly.
At least for my state that wasn't what she was talking about so hopefully people didn't get confused on that point from me. She was saying before general population at least that she would support it because of the congregate setting.

According to the news they are still working through making a list but presently the "state’s vaccine plan made health care workers and nursing home workers and residents the the first in line, followed by other “essential” workers (which I would assume includes meatpacking, etc) and people 75 or older, particularly those at high risk of coronavirus complications."

I have seen other states mentioned about prison populations though.

I really don’t know what my opinion is on what order they should be given the vaccine. I wouldn’t be upset if the government decided with them receiving it before the elderly or after the elderly.

Considering the demographic of inmates I would assume most wouldn’t want the vaccine anyway. So it may not be an issue if it’s not mandatory for them.
Some people are in there for minor drug offenses too, ones that are legal now in various states. Some are in there because the system worked completely against them, some are in there for heinous crimes. I don't really know exactly what I feel at this point but I do know that there is an image of just who is in these prisons and that isn't always who is in there. My state also did not really allow release from prisons due to minor offenses for COVID concerns.

But it's also why I understand the myriad of feelings people have on this, I can't really tell someone not to feel them, I can only say I understand why the setting such that it is can lead to high spread of cases. At least from the reports I've seen many inmates (and staff) have been asymptomatic leading to much more difficulties in catching the virus. I'm not sure why but this seems to be quite prevalent in prison settings for the asymptomatic part.

Sadly I'm an NHS nurse and we haven't been offered the vaccine yet, but my 94 year old neighbour who doesn't really leave the house (even pre-covid) has been given his first dose. This doesn't make any sense to me. Yes I may have more chance of recovery, but it takes me out of my job for at least 10 days and it's these quarantine periods that are crippling the NHS, not just the number of patients.
yes, medical staff should definitely be the first to be vaccinated.
for the reason you give, but also your risk is higher because of the viral load you may encounter.
The higher the viral load, the higher the risk of complications.
So clearly medical staff should be vaccinated first.

I also saw some reports about people with facial fillers having local reactions at their surgical sights after the Moderna vaccine, but they were successfully treated with steroids and Benadryl. (Glad I skipped the Botox!)
I thought this was quite an interesting reaction. I'm really glad they were able to quickly identify the connection point but it's not something I would have thought about. At least the treatment was relatively simple.

read Yasha Mounk's article. It's very good. And to place him, he's considered to be on the left (he writes a lot in the Atlantic).

also, every country that i'm familiar with has prioritized the elderly, except for the US (until the CDC's change of heart).
Nope, Netherlands is doing healthcare workers first as well. Also our CDC says do the elderly first.

For every group there can be a logic reason who can come first. And like with everything, there is no good answer. Again, we will not know till five to ten years what the best solution was.

In general: Can we stop the arguments about the vaccin and the groups in this thread and go back to the scheduled program?

No one is going to be right and being right is not some kind of currency you can use anywhere ;)

Nope, Netherlands is doing healthcare workers first as well. Also our CDC says do the elderly first.

For every group there can be a logic reason who can come first. And like with everything, there is no good answer. Again, we will not know till five to ten years what the best solution was.

In general: Can we stop the arguments about the vaccin and the groups in this thread and go back to the scheduled program?

No one is going to be right and being right is not some kind of currency you can use anywhere ;)
obviously medical workers are first..
the discussion was over which group comes AFTER medical workers.

Hubby and I got the Pfizer vaccine on Wednesday morning. We both had arm pain that evening. On Friday (Christmas day) I felt exhausted (took two naps) and like I had a hangover even though I didn’t drink anything. Feel better today and other than the sore arm the first day my Hubby feels normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter