Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my vaccine at 0700 EST.

I'll give all the info that I have to try to be helpful. Keep in mind, I work in an ER so steps may be slightly different for the general public, but most of my contact was directly with the CDC so I don't know how much.

First I had to fill out a questionnaire. I did mine directly on the CDC website. It was general info including my name, dob, medical hx and allergy hx. I know that this was a specific sign on for first line workers, so I don't know that everyone will have to go to the CDC website to fill out the info. I then made an appointment. 12 hours prior to my appointment, I received an email from the CDC "checking on me". It again confirmed allergies and asked if I was currently having any URI symptoms. I answered that prior to arrival for my vaccine. This was a mandatory step, and I'm sure the general public will also be rechecked for possible contraindication before your vaccine. I also filled out a consent that was for my hospital.

The shot was quick and painless. 4 hours later, I feel completely fine with no complaints.

Post vaccine, we had to wait and be observed for 15 minutes to watch for allergies or reactions. I didn't have any nor did any of the people who were there with me. The CDC will now send me a reminder for my second vaccine in 21 days (with a leeway of 2 days on either side).

I also signed up for V-safe. This is a system that will monitor me for any side effects ( I think for a week) via text. Daily, I'll get an text to see how I'm doing. Signing up for V-safe will allow the CDC to continue to monitor those vaccinated for side effects.

Finally, my card has the lot number of the vaccine, the date given, my name, DOB, and location I received the vaccine. It's not an "official looking card" by any means. But, I know that the CDC has all of my info.

Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:
I wonder what kind of Covid things will be handed down to the kids who aren’t even born yet, like what happened with us.

The last of the iron lungs are still alive. They were kids in the 50s who contracted polio.

I would guess that what would be passed down would be the no hand shakes or things like that with people you don't know.

One of my teachers in middle school had polio as a kids. His one foot was much small then his other and he walked with a limp and a cane/crutch. I am friends with his son and his son's wife as we all went to school together. He is still alive and doing well today.

I'll give all the info that I have to try to be helpful. Keep in mind, I work in an ER so steps may be slightly different for the general public, but most of my contact was directly with the CDC so I don't know how much.

First I had to fill out a questionnaire. I did mine directly on the CDC website. It was general info including my name, dob, medical hx and allergy hx. I know that this was a specific sign on for first line workers, so I don't know that everyone will have to go to the CDC website to fill out the info. I then made an appointment. 12 hours prior to my appointment, I received an email from the CDC "checking on me". It again confirmed allergies and asked if I was currently having any URI symptoms. I answered that prior to arrival for my vaccine. This was a mandatory step, and I'm sure the general public will also be rechecked for possible contraindication before your vaccine. I also filled out a consent that was for my hospital.

The shot was quick and painless. 4 hours later, I feel completely fine with no complaints.

Post vaccine, we had to wait and be observed for 15 minutes to watch for allergies or reactions. I didn't have any nor did any of the people who were there with me. The CDC will now send me a reminder for my second vaccine in 21 days (with a leeway of 2 days on either side).

I also signed up for V-safe. This is a system that will monitor me for any side effects ( I think for a week) via text. Daily, I'll get an text to see how I'm doing. Signing up for V-safe will allow the CDC to continue to monitor those vaccinated for side effects.

Finally, my card has the lot number of the vaccine, the date given, my name, DOB, and location I received the vaccine. It's not an "official looking card" by any means. But, I know that the CDC has all of my info.

thanks for that, there have been a few questions in various threads about the exact procedure for Americans, so I'm sure you post will get quoted a lot :)

Thank you for all that info!
I have what will probably sound like a silly question if I may...the needle, I understand it is on the long side and goes pretty deep into the muscle? Is this actually the case? I'm a big giant needle sissy :crazy2::)
Not a silly question, none are silly. This is an IM injection, so in layman's terms, the needle has to be long enough to get through the fat on the upper arm and into the actual muscle. Believe me, I've seen longer needles. This shot was pretty painless. Interesting fact. Our syringes and needles were supplied by CDC and not the usual ones we use. So, we had to do a quick inservice on not getting an employee stick using them. I don't know if CDC will always provide the needles/syringes or if it will be up to the provider but that's currently what they're doing.

Not a silly question, none are silly. This is an IM injection, so in layman's terms, the needle has to be long enough to get through the fat on the upper arm and into the actual muscle. Believe me, I've seen longer needles. This shot was pretty painless. Interesting fact. Our syringes and needles were supplied by CDC and not the usual ones we use. So, we had to do a quick inservice on not getting an employee stick using them. I don't know if CDC will always provide the needles/syringes or if it will be up to the provider but that's currently what they're doing.

Thanks!

Do you know if your second vaccine is sitting in a freezer waiting for you, or if they are relying on getting a second shipment for the second dose. There's a lot of conversation in my area over which is the best - if you have 10000 does, do you give 10000 first shots and assume you'll get the next batch within 3 weeks, or do you give 5000 doses now and save the other 5000 for the second shot for the first round of people?
Just wondering if you know how your area is handling it?

Do you know if your second vaccine is sitting in a freezer waiting for you, or if they are relying on getting a second shipment for the second dose. There's a lot of conversation in my area over which is the best - if you have 10000 does, do you give 10000 first shots and assume you'll get the next batch within 3 weeks, or do you give 5000 doses now and save the other 5000 for the second shot for the first round of people?
Just wondering if you know how your area is handling it?

I keep seeing this question. They will not give someone the first dose and not have a the second dose for them. In my country they are expecting 5000 doses in the first delivery, which will be for 2500 people. When you get the first dose you are given an appointment for the second does, which means that they have the second dose for you.

I keep seeing this question. They will not give someone the first dose and not have a the second dose for them. In my country they are expecting 5000 doses in the first delivery, which will be for 2500 people. When you get the first dose you are given an appointment for the second does, which means that they have the second dose for you.
Unfortunately that hasn't actually been explained as the process that will be done, in fact on the CDC thread it was mentioned one of the doctors they should just exhaust the supply with the small risk the subsequent shipment wouldn't make it even though other doctors were stressing the importance of getting the second dosage.

For us here in the States, despite many of us wondering (including myself) it hasn't been cleared up and it's possible different states will do things differently. What I just heard from my state is all 105 counties are being sent vaccines at this time rather than people assuming only urban areas getting it because in the first phase all 105 counties have someone in it. The first shipment only carried just under 24,000 doses though up to 150K are expected by the end of the month.

So for you it may be clear cut for us it's simply a question that hasn't been addressed and answered for all 50 states. For my state they said "get vaccination cards and specific reminders to return for the second dose of vaccine." A second appointment doesn't appear to be set up at that time.

Unfortunately that hasn't actually been explained as the process that will be done, in fact on the CDC thread it was mentioned one of the doctors they should just exhaust the supply with the small risk the subsequent shipment wouldn't make it even though other doctors were stressing the importance of getting the second dosage.

For us here in the States, despite many of us wondering (including myself) it hasn't been cleared up and it's possible different states will do things differently. What I just heard from my state is all 105 counties are being sent vaccines at this time rather than people assuming only urban areas getting it because in the first phase all 105 counties have someone in it. The first shipment only carried just under 24,000 doses though up to 150K are expected by the end of the month.

So for you it may be clear cut for us it's simply a question that hasn't been addressed and answered for all 50 states. For my state they said "get vaccination cards and specific reminders to return for the second dose of vaccine." A second appointment doesn't appear to be set up at that time.

thats just insane and to me illogical. The people who get the first dose need the second dose, its just not logical to exhaust the delivery to give everyone dose number one and then hope for the best that dose number two arrives in time.

thats just insane and to me illogical. The people who get the first dose need the second dose, its just not logical to exhaust the delivery to give everyone dose number one and then hope for the best that dose number two arrives in time.
I mean I actually don't disagree with you, it's a conversation and a point I made and had on the CDC thread and the COVID and the rest of us thread. Pfizer's shelf life can be extended various ways but it all seems to depend on what a given area is doing.

But I really don't know that many of us have been told explicitly how the distribution will end up working out and given that different places have different people in phases, different obstacles, etc I sorta expected that the process might vary between states.

I think that's why it may be really helpful for those chiming in as this process goes on how it went for them with the 2nd dose part. And the process may change over time too.

I can't speak for Mackenzie, but I think that this is a concern at least with my RL people so a good question to be asked at this time. 👍

Last edited:
Our group is getting the Moderna vaccine, Our ID cards are tagged with 'essential worker' and a govt contact number in case some Karen or Barney Fife does not believe the ID.

DW who is essential in another field will also be getting hers shortly they have not told her what which vaccine she will be receiving.

Now both of us being essential have been out working our butts off for the last 9 or so months and the Karen's in our respective circles are freaking out because we have to go out and work and of course now they are pissed that we are getting vaccine first as if those who are most afraid should be the first to get it vs those most likely to be exposed.

Of course we take precautions we put Microban steering wheel covers on our cars, Bought a ozone generator so we can ozone treat cars periodically have bottles of hand sanitizer on our person as well as in the cars. Take advantage of Amazon pantry and try to shop in the same places so mainly exposed to the same people.

Beyond that what can you do - cower in fear??? I'm from Scot's and Magyar ancestry the lands of William Wallace and Attila the Hun respectively cowering just not in the blood and DW is of Scot's ancestry also not one to be afraid, Take reasonable precautions and the rest is up to God.

Last edited:
I've seen the data. What I'm curious is if anyone here has had the vaccine can describe what they went through post the shot. Then, I can plan accordingly. I will try to either get it on Friday or the weekend or plan to take the day off after getting it. I'm just curious.
I’m in the Pfizer phase 3 trials but am pretty sure I received placebo. I have a friend also in the study. After the first dose, she awoke in the middle of the night with a sore arm. She likened it to the feeling after a tetanus shot. That lasted for about 24 hours. After the second dose, she awoke in the middle of the night to a sore arm, low-grade fever, and chills. She felt “yucky” for about 24 hours, but she was able to still work (from home as she had been).

I mean I actually don't disagree with you, it's a conversation and a point I made and had on the CDC thread and the COVID and the rest of us thread. Pfizer's shelf life can be extended various ways but it all seems to depend on what a given area is doing.

But I really don't know that many of us have been told explicitly how the distribution will end up working out and given that different places have different people in phases, different obstacles, etc I sorta expected that the process might vary between states.

I think that's why it may be really helpful for those chiming in as this process goes on how it went for them with the 2nd dose part. And the process may change over time too.
Agree. I think there are two issues with the "second dose already here and waiting" question.

The first is that different jurisdictions are handling things a bit different in the US. Each state had to submit a distribution plan. The plans had to meet certain criteria, but there was latitude for local adjustments, so not everyone is doing the same thing.

The other factor is the news media. The news focus has understandably been on the initial shipments, streaming the first shots, how many doses received, how many doses in the pipeline, other vaccine approvals, etc, etc, etc.

The important question of where a second dose is coming from is just not big news, so we don't see any mention of it. If one were so inclined, I'm sure we could wade through our state's plan and find the answer, but it's not on the top of the list for the news media.

As in all things technical the answer is 'it depends' it may be essential for the two doses,

the first stimulates the production of antibodies, The second triggers a immune response from the T-cells which actually provides the 'long term' protection.

If this is actually how it works the second dose is almost more important than the first.

We got the Pfizer’s vaccine at my hospital. Like @Birdie dog said, every state and every facility will be different. I filled out my questionnaire through work and not the CDC. We received the information on Saturday night and they started giving vaccinations yesterday afternoon.

The initial shot did not feel different than any other IM shot, like influenza or DTap. Only side effect so far is pain & swelling at the injection site. I can’t really lift my arm over my head, but I’m not too worried about it. I also signed up on v-safe and I feel that it’s important to report all (even minor) side effects. Perhaps if others will get the vaccine if they can see the biggest side effect is injection soreness. 🤷‍♀️

They also said there wasn’t any supply issues with receiving the second vaccine. Please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter