Have you got a degree?

BS and MS in mechanical engineering. I'm currently working as an engineer, so they definitely paid off.

I was studying for a Law (LLB) Degree at Southampton University, when I was taken seriously ill. Tried again in a few year's time, this time trying Psychology. AGAIN, seriously ill. I've been recuperating for a long time since. Recently, I reconsidered, but then thought, why not learn a vocation? I'm 2/3 the way through my Hypnotherapy studies on my way to being a practitioner with my own practice, and haven't looked back since.
Sorry to hear about your illnesses while trying to earn your degree in Law. I think that if the lawyer profession is what you really love and really want, then I'd go for it. Working at a job that you love means a lot, whatever it is.
There are a lot of vocations around here that pay very well and train you with good job security. I don't really think you need to get a degree just to get a degree. There are many satisfying jobs out there that don't require an advanced degree. Just my 2 cents worth:)

BA/elementary teaching degree. I majored in Psychology and minored in Social Studies.

Last edited:
Didn't go to University.

Left school at 18, joined a British bank in 1969.

Joined the London branch of a Chicago bank in 1972 in the trading room.

It then became the London branch of a San Francisco bank after a takeover.

It lastly became the London branch of a Charlotte bank after another takeover but keeping its San Francisco name.

Retired in 1999 at the age of 48 and exercised all of my stock options proving you don't have to be smart, just lucky

ford family

I went and got an Associate's degree in Administrative Assistant. Started at age 47 and graduated at 51. Thought it would help me find a better paying job, so far it's been worthless. Haven't had any kind of pay increase except for the standard yearly 1% and it hasn't helped me get a better job. All I have to show for it is student loans.

I went and got an Associate's degree in Administrative Assistant. Started at age 47 and graduated at 51. Thought it would help me find a better paying job, so far it's been worthless. Haven't had any kind of pay increase except for the standard yearly 1% and it hasn't helped me get a better job. All I have to show for it is student loans.
Hopefully you didn't pay one of those rip em off diploma mills a ton of money.

Masters in organizational leadership (done while DH was deployed and kids were little, so pretty challenging). Currently (at 56) in my second quarter of classes toward a PhD in business management.

Currently wondering WHY I would do that to myself, because it's been a while, and it's been hard.

Hopefully you didn't pay one of those rip em off diploma mills a ton of money.
Not too much. I also work for a nonprofit hospital so they pay off whatever is left after 10 years. I think this program is more for people who have tons of loans, mine will most likely be paid off by then.

BA in Psychology.

Was supposed to go back and get my masters degree in Industrial & Organizational Psychology after a 3-5 year hiatus so I would be desirable in the workforce with a Masters. However, I fell in love with my interim job, so going back never happened.

I got a BA with a major in psychology followed by a Paralegal certification from the American Bar Association. Then I went to law school where I was awarded a JD (juris doctorate) which is a masters level degree. I sat for the bar exam in Illinois and practiced law in Chicago for almost 30 years before an illness forced me into early retirement.

Of course, I have never been asked to show or prove my degree. My work history was all the mattered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter