• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever took a Train or a Bus to other States

On my list of the very best decisions I ever made. I was gett

The whole trip took ten days. I met a musician I'm pretty sure was at least 25% sasquatch. A paranoid woman accused me of being a spy for the Atlantans. I made friends by offering bacon to strangers. And a meth head threw up on me somewhere around Slidel, LA.

10 out of 10.

now thats how to enjoy life and get the most out of it

Took A train from Seattle to Vancouver to catch a DCL cruise., it was wonderful. Traveled on train around Europe years ago, a great way to travel

We travel by bus from Bangor, ME to Boston quite frequently, to fly out of Logan. It's about a 4 hour bus trip and I don't mind it at all. The bus line (Concord Coach) has comfortable seats, wifi, they show movies, and give you free bottled water and pretzels. What's not to love?

When we lived in Syracuse, NY, we took Amtrak to NOLA to visit my sister over Mardi Gras. Train went from Syracuse to Chicago, then south to New Orleans. We got on the train at about 1am, slept several hours (in our seats- it was reasonably comfortable) and had breakfast in the dining car somewhere around Cleveland. Train got into Chicago around 1pm, so we walked around a bit (pretty darned cold in Feb) and took The City of New Orleans, departing around 6pm. Slept in our seats that night- although I remember waking up in Memphis, absolutely mesmerized as we were passing by a fairgrounds- it was foggy and the lights were on and it was mystical! The train ran late as there was a freak ice storm and we could only travel something like 20mph through much of Mississippi. Imagine- we came from Syracuse only to be confoozled by winter weather in Mississippi!!

On our return trip, we traveled up the east coast. It was very cool taking the train across Lake Ponchatrain, in NOLA... the tracks are only about 5 feet above the water or something like that, so you feel like you are skimming across the lake. There wasn't anything very exciting on this part of the journey, mostly just traveling through the shabbier parts of major cities. It was interesting in the south to see how different the buildings/houses and plant life is from that in the north. We spent a lot of time talking to other passengers in the club car (but too smoky to stay too long; yes, it was that long ago that people could smoke on the train). We changed trains in NYC for one that went north to Albany and then west back to Syracuse. It must have been a pretty good trip; I remember a lot of the details, and this happened back in 1988!

I've also taken the train from Boston to NYC several times, and from Boston to DC. The train to DC is convenient; you leave Boston around midnight and arrive in DC for breakfast. No time to be bored, plenty of time to sleep and arrive ready to play tourist! This summer, IF we are allowed to travel easily, we are planning to fly BOS-Denver and then fly home from Salt Lake City to Boston. To go from Denver to SLC, there is a 15 hour train trip through the Rockies that we are considering. I am always the driver in the family (I get motion sick on everything except trains) so taking the train through the mountains will let me enjoy the scenery instead of making the trip with my hands white-knuckled on the steering wheel, my eyes glued to the road instead of taking in the majestic mountains!

Last edited:

now thats how to enjoy life and get the most out of it
It was great. The seats are quite a bit bigger than even first class on an airplane and they recline and a leg support flips out. But it's not really laying you back horizontal. I didn't have much trouble sleeping but after a few days I was stuffing a pillow under me to support the tailbone.

Hanging out in the observation lounge with the panoramic skylight windows was fun. People get pretty social being cooped up on the train. My sasquatch buddy pulled out his guitar and within 30 minutes another guitar, a mandolin, and a tamborine showed up.
Here's the hostel I stayed at in NO, private room with private bathroom for $45 a night. Former orphanage and 100% haunted.
And here's the sasquatch. I took along my daughter's teddy bear, Bows, and sent home pics of the bear so she could see where he's been...
There's no trick of perspective here, he's like 6'3"

If you google around for it there's a write up from a guy who took amtrak from coast to coast for like $300. I like my route better.

We travel by bus from Bangor, ME to Boston quite frequently, to fly out of Logan. It's about a 4 hour bus trip and I don't mind it at all. The bus line (Concord Coach) has comfortable seats, wifi, they show movies, and give you free bottled water and pretzels. What's not to love?

When we lived in Syracuse, NY, we took Amtrak to NOLA to visit my sister over Mardi Gras. Train went from Syracuse to Chicago, then south to New Orleans. We got on the train at about 1am, slept several hours (in our seats- it was reasonably comfortable) and had breakfast in the dining car somewhere around Cleveland. Train got into Chicago around 1pm, so we walked around a bit (pretty darned cold in Feb) and took The City of New Orleans, departing around 6pm. Slept in our seats that night- although I remember waking up in Memphis, absolutely mesmerized as we were passing by a fairgrounds- it was foggy and the lights were on and it was mystical! The train ran late as there was a freak ice storm and we could only travel something like 20mph through much of Mississippi. Imagine- we came from Syracuse only to be confoozled by winter weather in Mississippi!!

On our return trip, we traveled up the east coast. It was very cool taking the train across Lake Ponchatrain, in NOLA... the tracks are only about 5 feet above the water or something like that, so you feel like you are skimming across the lake. There wasn't anything very exciting on this part of the journey, mostly just traveling through the shabbier parts of major cities. It was interesting in the south to see how different the buildings/houses and plant life is from that in the north. We spent a lot of time talking to other passengers in the club car (but too smoky to stay too long; yes, it was that long ago that people could smoke on the train). We changed trains in NYC for one that went north to Albany and then west back to Syracuse. It must have been a pretty good trip; I remember a lot of the details, and this happened back in 1988!

I've also taken the train from Boston to NYC several times, and from Boston to DC. The train to DC is convenient; you leave Boston around midnight and arrive in DC for breakfast. No time to be bored, plenty of time to sleep and arrive ready to play tourist! This summer, IF we are allowed to travel easily, we are planning to fly BOS-Denver and then fly home from Salt Lake City to Boston. To go from Denver to SLC, there is a 15 hour train trip through the Rockies that we are considering. I am always the driver in the family (I get motion sick on everything except trains) so taking the train through the mountains will let me enjoy the scenery instead of making the trip with my hands white-knuckled on the steering wheel, my eyes glued to the road instead of taking in the majestic mountains!

I love hearing about stuff like this, but I will never do it, why ? got me

Yes I took the Amtrack from New York City to Boston and from Boston to Washington DC. Great way to see more of the country.

I love hearing about stuff like this, but I will never do it, why ? got me
It was great! Dh (who was my boyfriend at the time) traveled with me, and we just had fun. I still enjoy train travel, even at this old age, but DH has trouble sleeping in the seats now. He's just a tad too tall to feel supported when he stretches out, and he's not as flexible in sleeping arrangements now as he was 30+ years ago. Me? I can still sleep anywhere, thankfully!

I used to take the train from Philadelphia to Orlando all the time. The Silver Star, which made stops everywhere they could possibly fit a station or platform. The first couple of times we went coach, which means no bed, just your seat for the 21 hour trip. It was cheap. At nights, they lower the lights and since sleep was nearly impossible for me (can't sleep sitting up), I used to watch the trees roll by and listen to the gentle sounds of people farting all night.

For WDW's 25th Anniversary in 1997, we decided to do it up right and bought a Roomette, which had two wide seats that turned into a bed and another bed that swung down from the wall. It also had a private sink and toilet, which turned into steps to get onto the top bed.

For the 98 trip and thereafter I flew, although in 2006 I went to Orlando by train in a Roomette just for old times' sake. I hated it.

For WDW's 25th Anniversary in 1997, we decided to do it up right and bought a Roomette, which had two wide seats that turned into a bed and another bed that swung down from the wall. It also had a private sink and toilet, which turned into steps to get onto the top bed.

For the 98 trip and thereafter I flew, although in 2006 I went to Orlando by train in a Roomette just for old times' sake. I hated it.

What did you hate about the roomette? I think about it sometimes. It sounds small, almost too close for comfort during the day, seems weird to pee in that setting, but it's also intriguing to me- but expensive, don't want to waste the money if it's going be miserable!

Not at home, but I have in the States - in 2016 I took the train from DC to New York and then also did a day trip by train from New York to Connecticut and back. It was a lot more pleasant than flying for such short distances, and very handy to travel to and from the city itself rather than having to go miles to the airport.

I used to take the Amtrak from the Detroit area to the Chicago area to visit my then-boyfriend. Honestly, it sucked. It was never on time- I was at least one hour late. One time I was nearly four hours late.

Eventually I got to drive instead. The drive would took about 4 hours. An on-time train would take 4.5, but again, it was always late, so it was 5.5+ hours. On top of that, a round-trip train ticket cost more than gas- and this was in the era of around $4/gallon, so gas wasn’t exactly cheap.

Oh, and one time the heat went out in the cars. In January. So there’s that too.

I took the bus up and down the West Coast several times in college traveling back and forth to college. Growing up I did the train from the West Coast to the Midwest several times. As an adult the only train I've taken in the US was between Washington DC and New York on a vacation. Since I've usually been traveling with at least one other person, it's generally less expensive to rent a car. I've have traveled by train in Europe.

I never have, and never want to on a bus, but I would love to take a train, seems like something we should all do

I think the longest bus ride I’ve ever taken is the DCL shuttle from the resorts out to Port Canaveral, so maybe an hour. But, I’ve ridden Amtrak many times in my life and taking the trains in Europe too. Amtrak is convenient in the north east because there’s more trains, but the long distance trains across the American west can be fun because there’s lots to look at, and you don’t have to drive yourself. A number of years ago took the Sunset Limited from Florida to California, but that route doesn’t run any more east of New Orleans. I’ve also taken the Texas Eagle starting in Chicago joining up with the Sunset in San Antonio and going out to Los Angeles. The Surfliner runs along the coast of southern California and has really pretty views, it’s great if you’re taking a trip that includes both Disneyland and San Diego. Another really beautiful route is the Cascades route that I think somebody else mentioned it’s nice if you are sailing out of Vancouver on Disney cruise line but using Seattle is your airport. We also really enjoyed the Empire Builder across the northern plains and through the Rockies and the Southwest Chief that takes you through the southern Rockies to California.

What did you hate about the roomette? I think about it sometimes. It sounds small, almost too close for comfort during the day, seems weird to pee in that setting, but it's also intriguing to me- but expensive, don't want to waste the money if it's going be miserable!

Amtrak has two different types of roomettes. The superliners do not have toilets in the cabin, and I actually prefer those. We have traveled in the viewliners, and go forward to the coach car to use the toilet.

Several years ago when we lived in Connecticut, we would take the Metro-North from New Haven Ct to Grand Central in NYC. We visited (and took the train) almost every year. The subways in NYC are a whole ‘nother forum, well beyond just another thread.

I did, when I was on vacation in NYC 2 years ago. I was staying in an Airbnb in Union City, NJ as it was cheaper than a hotel in Manhattan, so if that counts, I commuted on the NJ Transit buses to PABT. I also briefly took the PATH back to NJ during a snowy Wednesday after a Broadway show, because the buses were suspended and there was no way I was paying $50 for an Uber back to the Airbnb.

I have taken the train from NJ to Orlando about 6 times ( love it)
NJ to Miami twice
NYC to Providence RI once
NYC to Montreal Canada once
many many many times from NJ and NYC

WE love train travel .., especially with sleeper compartment.
Never done a bus... and I have no desire too. Would rather drive ( we drove from NJ to Kansas City last year and the drive-thru the midwest was just beautiful)

Did the train from Battle Creek to Chicago all the time when I was going to college.
Took Amtrak once from Denver to Chicago when visiting family members.
Took a bus trip from Michigan to New Orleans on our Senior trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter