Have you ever spent Christmas Day at a vacation destination?

Kittyblue

7322, 32502, <3
I've spent Thanksgiving in Vegas or at the beach, but I've always been at home for Christmas. Now that the kids are older and we don't have to wait for Santa anymore, I think it might be fun to spend Christmas someplace else. The kids don't really ask for much as a far as presents anymore, so we could spend the Christmas budget on a trip instead of gifts. Maybe on a cruise? DL/DW? A snowy resort? (it doesn't snow here)

I love spending the holidays away from home whether it's my birthday or Christmas, it completely frees you from all kind of obligations you might have. You can do it exactly the way you want :) I don't do it with Christmas much, but I do with my birthday.

A cruise this year for Christmas is very ambitious, and I at the moment, I wouldn't even bet on DL with Newsom saying reopening the themeparks is not a priority.
Safest bet out of those three is to go to WDW.

I do not particular enjoy snow, and I think it's overrated. It never brings the Hallmark Christmas you see in movies. So I would go wherever you want to go :)

We spent Christmas in Vegas one year, we didn't really want to do the trying to decide which parents to spend it with, my son was grown and married and away. We haven't exchanged gifts in years because we are that couple, if we want something we just get it. We have spent days up to and the day after on dive trips as well. Now my parents are both dead and hubby's parents are not in the best of health so we tend to pull the RV down to their house. I insist we be home for Christmas day so I can spend it with my son, he is now divorced and we have gone to a movie on Christmas day every year except the one we spent in Vegas, I even flew to Chicago when he lived there to spend it with him. Not sure what we will do this year since the theaters are closed.

Spent Christmas on a cruise before we had kids. Almost made us not want to ever have kids. We didn’t know just how disgusting kids were until then. There were hotdogs floating in the pools and hot tubs and waves of soft serve ice cream crashing across the lido deck. The ship was well above double occupancy. We were told there were 1400 kids on board.

Not sure I would do another Christmas cruise, especially one that leaves from a Florida port.

I insist we be home for Christmas day so I can spend it with my son, he is now divorced and we have gone to a movie on Christmas day every year except the one we spent in Vegas, I even flew to Chicago when he lived there to spend it with him.
Aww I love that! What a sweet tradition.
Spent Christmas on a cruise before we had kids. Almost made us not want to ever have kids. We didn’t know just how disgusting kids were until then. There were hotdogs floating in the pools and hot tubs and waves of soft serve ice cream crashing across the lido deck. The ship was well above double occupancy. We were told there were 1400 kids on board.

Not sure I would do another Christmas cruise, especially one that leaves from a Florida port.
Good to know!!!

My vote would definitely be snowy resort! We went snowmobiling for two Christmas's in a row and stayed at the Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu in Quebec. It was just the perfect setting and time, plus we just don't get snow like that here in central Ohio. Both of our families always travel out of state to ride snowmobiles and side by sides throughout the year, but those two years were simply breathtaking as long as you can deal with the cold. This was before we had our daughters, and once they get older, we hope to go again as a family Christmas vacation.

Spent a Christmas Eve and a Christmas Day in NYC about 10 years ago. We lived on Long Island, so we drove in on the Eve, stayed at a hotel right in Rockefeller Center. Enjoyed the tree and Saks lights. Woke up there on Christmas morning then headed back home in the afternoon. It was great.

Yep, once my kids became teens, we spent many a Christmas on vacation. Told the kids, expensive gifts or family vacation. Votes are always to go on vacation. Most of the time Florida, but quite a few times in California too. We like warm weather for the holidays, and we like that time of year to travel, as all is open and decorated. Snowy cold where we live in winter. Nope, for the holidays, if we can afford it. And we always had some small gifts to open on Christmas. This year, probably not, as too risky for my family. But if you want to get away for the holidays, do it.

I'm dying to go away for Christmas one of these years but my youngest (12) isn't ready yet to be away from home for Christmas; he still loves all the traditions and such. The rest of the family would probably go along with it.

What my family doesn't get is how much sheer work goes into all of these traditions. Baking, decorating, shopping, entertaining, cleaning, hosting relatives, parties, cooking. I know most of you understand-- making Christmas special is WORK.

I'd love to go away to someplace snowy and beautiful where I can order my Christmas dinner off a menu rather than it being a meal for which I do the planning, shopping, cooking, setting a "magical" looking table, being a scintillating hostess, and cleaning up afterwards.

I guess I sound kind of bitter and resentful and I don't mean to--I actually love Christmas. But I am looking forward to a somewhat scaled-back version this year, without parties, house guests, and a big family dinner.

Our family spent Christmas in WDW once. We had a great time but it was weird not spending the holidays with the extended family. A couple of years ago, my brother, sister-in-law, and her immediate family went to Key West for Christmas. She absolutely hated it and said she will never go away again over Christmas.

I wouldn't mind spending Christmas away. It typically is just 4 of us. My husband my parents and myself so it wouldn't be to complicated. We have a pretty lake and surrounding area about an hour from here. Houses are secluded and have a pretty view. If I could convince my family to go there this year I would be all in.

I have not yet, but as soon as we don't have to wait for Santa anymore, I plan to. Kids are 6&9. So I'm pretty sure I only have a couple years left. As soon as the oldest figures it out, he'll ruin it for his brother. He's a jerk like that. I'll be both super awesome (because than dang elf is a pain) and sad at the same time.

Not that I can recall. With the exception of an inlaw's house while "on vacation" visiting them.

Usually, I'm somehow involved in Christmas Eve service at church (bell choir, projection, soundboard, reading scripture), so I'm not sure how likely it would be to happen in the future.

Last edited:
We spent Christmas on a Disney cruise. It was magical. All Disney cruises have a ton of kids, except the longer ones like the Panama Canal or Hawaii cruises that happen when kids are in school.

One drawback of Christmas cruising -- if you pack gifts in your luggage they can't be wrapped when you're going through airport TSA. We took wrapping paper and tape with us, but it was weird finding time on the ship to try to wrap presents in secrecy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter