Have you ever ordered a DCL Specialty cake?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I am currently organizing the vow renewal that my husband and I are going to celebrate during our cruise (just the two of us) and I thought about ordering a specialty cake for the occasion.

I was wondering if some of you had ordered a specialty cake with a message before (I was thinking 8 inch, marble, white chocolate mousse with Buttercream).

Where you satisfied? Did it taste good? (the cake itself, the mousse inside, the buttercream outside?)

Did it look good?

Anybody has pictures?

I just wanna make sure it's worth the 32$... I would really love to have a cake to celebrate in our room!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: The cake looked amazing... but that was it.

It was absolutely disgusting... Wet (think water in the lower layer) and the buttercream and filling had absolutely no taste.

We ended up eating the fruits and white chocolate on top and threw the cake away.

I guess it's "hit or miss".

I would not order it again.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat! My niece turns five while we are on board. I wanted to order her a special cake but the options are so limited. I wish they had a photo gallery of what we can order. I have ordered before but at the parks and those are amazing creations.

i hope they are good. I ordered a mickey cake for dd and her friends bdays on 9/28 on our cruise

I ordered the basic $25.00 cake for DH's birthday in July. The cake was pretty good, however there was more frosting than actual cake, and I wasn't a fan of the frosting. It was more for the fun of it and having his birthday acknowledged than the actual cake(there's more than enough food on the cruise), so I'm glad I stuck with the least expensive option. [GALLERY=]
11202810_10207745129530341_3639195480132790649_n.jpg
[/GALLERY]

I ordered my daughter a birthday cake a few years back. It was vanilla cake with a white icing. It was not very good for being Disney. I have had much better cake in the parks than on the ship. She was surprised and excited though.

We ordered the Mickey Head cake one time. It looked great and was huge. Our family of five was gnawing at it for several days.

As for taste, ours was gluten-free, so it's really hard to evaluate in terms of "real" cake. I will say that for GF, it was pretty good.

The only weird thing was that I couldn't place the order online. You could find information online, but then you had to print out a form and fax it in all old-school. IIRC, I never received any kind of confirmation that my fax was received and that my request was in good order. I just trusted DCL to have the cake there at the first dinner, and they did.

We sail on my husband's 60th birthday so I have ordered the carrot cake with white chocolate mousse and buttercream. Will post pics after we get back.

We ordered the Mickey Head cake one time. It looked great and was huge. Our family of five was gnawing at it for several days.

As for taste, ours was gluten-free, so it's really hard to evaluate in terms of "real" cake. I will say that for GF, it was pretty good.

The only weird thing was that I couldn't place the order online. You could find information online, but then you had to print out a form and fax it in all old-school. IIRC, I never received any kind of confirmation that my fax was received and that my request was in good order. I just trusted DCL to have the cake there at the first dinner, and they did.
We also ordered the gf Mickey head cake 2 years ago for my dd's birthday. Yep, had to fax the order to them. For GF, it was pretty good.

We were on the Magic this summer. DD turned 9 on the cruise, and we ordered a marble cake with chocolate frosting. We received a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I did not say anything as she was happy with what she received, and loved the attention. The cake tasted fine. As you can see, it came with more chocolate and fruit on the top. Since burning candles are not allowed on the ship, notice the tall chocolate curls in place of candles. I would order a cake again to mark a special occasion - cake is synonymous with celebration for many people.
IMG_3318.jpg

I ordered the chocolate Mickey for an anniversary several years ago. It was much larger than I anticipated as there were only two of us. But, we enjoyed it and I would do it again for a special occasion. It was just a nice touch for us.

We were on the Magic this summer. DD turned 9 on the cruise, and we ordered a marble cake with chocolate frosting. We received a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I did not say anything as she was happy with what she received, and loved the attention. The cake tasted fine. As you can see, it came with more chocolate and fruit on the top. Since burning candles are not allowed on the ship, notice the tall chocolate curls in place of candles. I would order a cake again to mark a special occasion - cake is synonymous with celebration for many people.
View attachment 123406

Unfortunately I can't see the picture (my iPad, maybe?) but it sounds like you've had a good experience. :)

We ordered a cake last summer for my sons birthday on the ship. It was a carrot cake and it was very good. We had it brought out at the end of dinner. Cakes are always festive and make the person being celebrated feel special. :) :) :)

Ok, I will take the chance and order it. I hope it will look good ... Most people seem to have a good experience with the specialty cake.

One more thing: How good are they with delivery?

I was thinking about asking for it to be delivered in the stateroom for 8:00 AM (we will celebrate around 9:00 and it would be nice to have the cake at that time!)

We ordered the mickey head cake to celebrate our parent's 60th wedding anniversary last summer. The head server and multiple servers brought out the cake at the end of dinner and made a big fuss over our parents. The cake tasted great and it was very festive. We were a party of 9 and there was still a lot of cake left over. I faxed the order form a month before our cruise.

I was thinking about ordering a cake for my son since we will be sailing on his 11th birthday in December. Do you have to fax the order in? I thought I read somewhere that you go to guest services on the ship at least 24 hours before you want the cake to order it???

I was thinking about ordering a cake for my son since we will be sailing on his 11th birthday in December. Do you have to fax the order in? I thought I read somewhere that you go to guest services on the ship at least 24 hours before you want the cake to order it???
You do have to fax in. Believe they have to have order 7 days before sailing. So they can have the cake on the ship - or ingredients. If you wait to order on board they won't have what is needed to do the cake.

Kat

There is a faxable form on The DCL web site (the prices and flavors are all there so you can pick the cake you want), and I think you have to order at least 7 days before sailing.

View attachment 123406

Now I can see the picture. Your daughter (she is beautiful by the way) seems so happy. :)

So far, I find the cakes to be nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter