Have you ever heard someone say "do you know who i am?

I worked for American Airlines right out of college at the gate in GSO. Our last flight out to ATL got cancelled and I had over 100 very angry customers at the gate wanting to be rebooked immediately (this was in 1998 when everything was done in person, not through the phone). I hear someone in the back yelling, "Hello, can you please, for the love of all things holy, book me right now!!" She proceeded to push herself to the front of the line (pissing off a lot of people) and came up to me and said, "Young lady, you do realize who I am right.... my time is very valuable, so you need to book me immediately. I can't wait around in this god awful airport no longer, I will surely die". I honestly had absolutely no idea who she was, so I said to her, "Are you Scarlett O'Hara?" She started laughing (which diffused the situation) and told me she had to get home because she was running a restaurant and had some very important people coming the next day. I looked at her and rolled my eyes, but proceeded to book her because she wasn't planning on leaving the desk unless I did.

About 2 months later I received a card in the mail with a gift certificate for a restaurant in Savannah...a very famous one right now. Back then, it was just up and coming. My DH and I visited that restaurant about 3 months after that and had a lovely meal. We also got to meet this lady in person and she thanked me profusely for dealing with her impatience. She told me she had been traveling all day and had been up for 36 hours straight and was not herself and apologized.

At a very fancy (and large...over 2k employees at this event) company party, a very intoxicated lady was being extremely rude to my husband. Asked what his job was and then insulted him about it. She said to him "Do you know who my husband is?"...To which he replied..."Does your husband even know who I am? I doubt it...so I don't give a #$%& who your husband is...." and walked off.:scared:<~my face when he told me...lol. I later saw her pointing us out to one of the executives my husband was friendly with, I'm guessing that was her husband. :rolleyes2 He came over(without his wife) and shook hands with my husband, introduced himself to me and the other people at our table he didn't know, asked if we were having a good time and they left not to long after that with nothing more said to my husband about the incident. :laughing: :sad2: Some people...

I worked for American Airlines right out of college at the gate in GSO. Our last flight out to ATL got cancelled and I had over 100 very angry customers at the gate wanting to be rebooked immediately (this was in 1998 when everything was done in person, not through the phone). I hear someone in the back yelling, "Hello, can you please, for the love of all things holy, book me right now!!" She proceeded to push herself to the front of the line (pissing off a lot of people) and came up to me and said, "Young lady, you do realize who I am right.... my time is very valuable, so you need to book me immediately. I can't wait around in this god awful airport no longer, I will surely die". I honestly had absolutely no idea who she was, so I said to her, "Are you Scarlett O'Hara?" She started laughing (which diffused the situation) and told me she had to get home because she was running a restaurant and had some very important people coming the next day. I looked at her and rolled my eyes, but proceeded to book her because she wasn't planning on leaving the desk unless I did.

About 2 months later I received a card in the mail with a gift certificate for a restaurant in Savannah...a very famous one right now. Back then, it was just up and coming. My DH and I visited that restaurant about 3 months after that and had a lovely meal. We also got to meet this lady in person and she thanked me profusely for dealing with her impatience. She told me she had been traveling all day and had been up for 36 hours straight and was not herself and apologized.

Good 'ol Paula Deen. LOL

Twice, and on both occasions it was rather comical because the person saying it was pretty much a nobody - once, mayor of a town of about 4K people and the other a township trustee of an even smaller rural community. Now that they all know who *I* am, they tend to be more circumspect when I'm around (not that I'm anyone important, but even local politicians tend to be on their best behaviour around the press).

Didn't Reese Witherspoon pull that in Atlanta when her husband got pulled over for drunk driving?

Not me, but my best friend. This was years ago, but her and her DH took their boat over to one of the Cape Cod islands, don't recall which one. This particular marina did not have "slips". It was first come, first serve. John Kerry, then a MA senator, pulls up in his massive yacht. The old man running the marina told him there was no room for his yacht. John Kerry demanded that he move 4-5 boats to make room, and my friend told me he actually said the words "Do you know who I am?" The old man told him he knew who he was and that there was no room for his yacht.

As for me, not a celebrity, but a physician I worked with. (he has since been fired) He didn't use the exact do you know who I am words, but he frequently made it known to everyone that HE was the DOCTOR and what HE says is what WE do, whether it went against policies or procedures.

This is probably the same yacht he(Kerry) had registered, in I believe Rhode Island, to avoid paying Mass. state taxes on it.

Yes but it wasn't in a mean way.

I used to work for my alma mater's bookstore in both the Union location and the satellite location inside of a new hotel about a 5 min walk away from the Union though it was on the other side of campus line.

Anyways the policy was you had to ask for everyone's ID if they paid by CC or Debit card. They did not have to provide you the ID but we still had to ask for it.

Well Drew Gooden came into the store after being out in the lobby for a PR thing. He shopped around quickly (the store wasn't all that big anyways) and pulled out a black CC (I don't remember the company but I'm guessing it was one with a hefty spending allowance) and when I asked for his ID (as per policy) he said "Do you know who I am?" in a nice playful way. I had to laugh and said "yes but I have to ask anyways" to which he declined in a nice way as well. So I swiped his card, bagged his items and on his merry way he went.

I was in a cell phone store in a small town in TN.. when the reps told the customer they'd have to pull credit reports to get new accounts set up... he asked, rather indignantly, "Don't you know who I am?"... his career hit an upward bump and he moved to Nashville shortly thereafter.

:charac2:I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free :charac2:

Val Kilmer did that to some soldier who asked for his ID at Laguna Seca in the 80s. Gave us something to talk about for weeks!

Working in a grocery store in an area that is known for all the actors you run into quite a few. Personally I had 3 people say that to me or I should say 2 actually said it and the other was the son. George Gobel, for us older people, was shopping with his son and when it came time to pay the son says to me "Do you know who my father is?" He was paying with a check and Mr Gobel was sitting in a wheelchair at the end of the checkstand. I guess he had a rough time with the other checkers since most of them hadn't even been born when Mr Gobel was on TV. I said of course it's Lonesome George. Took the check without ID and made someone very happy. The second time it was another star. Richard Roundtree. He said to me "Do you know who I am?'. I answer you're a bad m*****f*****. Shaft. Both of these were said not in a mean or demanding way. The third one was the nasty one. He called to the store to see if he could place an order and I told him we don't do that. That's when he played the "Do you know who I am?" card. I said yes and it didn't change anything we still don't do orders over the phone. He wasn't a happy camper.

At our county fair, volunteers come to the office to "check out" an apron filled with numbered buttons and a pack of single bills for change, to sell for prize drawings. A local "Pompous Pastor" came, but refused to sign the form, which let us know who was out there selling, and made them accountable for the money. "Do you know who I am? I am a man of God. I don't have to sign anything!" Well, to get that pack from me, he sure the heck was! A fair board member stepped in an gave it to him anyway. He had the gall to wink at me and told me " That's how to get things done in the real world, Little Girl". (I was in my 40's). Burned my britches!

I sort of used it myself. I heard a group of 5th grade boys making fun of a special needs student (my son but they didn’t know that) at lunch one day. After speaking to them about their behavior, I asked them if they even knew the boy’s name and one of them said “Sam.” “Do you know his last name?” “Smith.” Do you know my name?” “Miss Kelly.” Do you know my last name?” They shake their heads and I tell them “It’s Smith.” I wish you could’ve seen the looks on their faces.

I've taught high school since 1980. I've run across hundreds of kids I've taught whose face is familiar but whose name escapes me. So, yes, I've had that question.

I worked as a bank teller in college and it happened ALL THE TIME when I first started. I'd ask to see ID and their response would be, "Do you know who I am?". I wanted to be like, obviously I don't which is why I need ID.....and also why you should be thankful so I don't give your money out to someone else!!

I worked as a bank teller in college and it happened ALL THE TIME when I first started. I'd ask to see ID and their response would be, "Do you know who I am?". I wanted to be like, obviously I don't which is why I need ID.....and also why you should be thankful so I don't give your money out to someone else!!

Same!

About half older the people I asked for ID when cashing a check. They also informed me that they have been banking there for longer than I have been alive :rotfl2:

I sort of used it myself. I heard a group of 5th grade boys making fun of a special needs student (my son but they didn’t know that) at lunch one day. After speaking to them about their behavior, I asked them if they even knew the boy’s name and one of them said “Sam.” “Do you know his last name?” “Smith.” Do you know my name?” “Miss Kelly.” Do you know my last name?” They shake their heads and I tell them “It’s Smith.” I wish you could’ve seen the looks on their faces.
What a great way to handle that. I would think this is a lesson they remembered for a long time.

For me the correct response is always, "Why yes! You're a self-aggrandizing *string of uncomplimentary choice expletives* "Why, I'd recognize you anywhere!"
So you told them they were a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, hopeless, heartless, fat, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey crap?

Never had anyone say it to me, but I have my own version of saying it to people at work.

Work in manufacturing and the control room I work in has 2 flights of steps up into it. I was just starting up the steps when one of the younger guys was halfway down and he gave me a flick of his hand as to say "move, I'm coming down." I just shook my head at him, pointed up the steps and said, "20 years, you move up." So, he went back up the steps, then opened the door for me, LOL. It's been a thing ever since.

Our access doors are now all locked all the time. I was standing at the front door when Jerry rushed over saying, "20 years, I'll get the door!" I brushed him aside. He was confused saying, "You've been here 20 years, I'm getting the door for you." I held up a finger to pause him a moment as Al came up and I opened the door for him. Turned to Jerry and said, "I was hired in April. Al was hired in March. I needed to get the door for him."

It's been going on for years like that except I make sure to let him know it's been 23 years now. All in good fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter