• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever handed out "Thank You!" cards to CMs?

We always alert the manager when we've had a great experience.

On a couple of occasions, when we've had really great interaction with a CM or character, we've sent thank you cards from home with a copy of the photograph we took at the time. We address c/o the resort or park w/ as much information as possible (like - for the friend of Tinkerbell at the MK on 12/01/09)

I figure that CMs rarely get photographs of themselves "at work" - and I'd think that the ones that go the extra mile do it because they love their job and probably enjoy a memento of a time they touched a guest. It also provides a little space to add a personal thank you.

I've had a couple of CMs comment when they saw us again that they got the photo and card - so it seems like they manage to find their way to the right person.

I'm also thinking about doing this. I would especially like to hand some cards out on Christmas day to let the cast members know how much we appreciate them working to keep us entertained. I know if I were a cast member I would greatly appreciate receiving a card. :goodvibes

I would definitely do up a little business card sized "Thank You" note. That is a great idea. I would include on the note that you will be forwarding the recognition to "Mickey" to let him know that they are doing a great job. At the end of your trip, send a letter of recognition to Disney to let them know about the recognized CM's. Be sure to include the name tag name, location, and time of day and date.
This way the CM sees your thanks plus Disney will be able to see the names of the CM's as well. :thumbsup2

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but the thought of these cards feels a bit kindergartenish to me. It is akin to getting a "good job" sticker on your 2nd grade math homework. I personally would get the CM's name and go to Guest Relations and fill out the comment card. That way, the CM and their supervisor would both know about the great work.

Just so OP doesn't come away thinking this is a bad idea, I want to let you know about my experience on our trip in October. Our church/local community was participating in a campaign called "Be the Blessing" and I wanted to do something for the CM's on our trip in this spirit. I had remembered reading years ago about a family from the NE who gave tiny bottles of maple syrup to CMs, but I couldn't think of anything regional that would be appropriate.

Instead, I bought a few $5 Cold Stone gift certificates and made up small cards to hold them. My kids and I made a point of giving these cards to CMs who don't usually get a lot of guest interaction or recognition (restroom custodians, sweepers, etc.). The response we got was amazing. I had several CMs who immediately hugged us, and one who broke down in tears because no guest had ever thanked her for the work she does. I'm not saying you have to buy gift cards, but I do think most CMs genuinely appreciate a heartfelt thank you.

I also went to Guest Services several times to comment on CMs who went above and beyond, but these were not always the CMs we gave the cards to. Sometimes CMs just need to know that someone notices and appreciates the job they are doing.

My friend and I travel to WDW once a year with our two severely disabled children (who happen to adore spending time together). In 2008 we went over Valentine's week. We decided, since the CM's are always sooooo wonderful to our kids, that we wanted to do a little something for them. We made up cute valentine cards that said "Thanks for making our trip so Magical! Happy Valentine's week from Chrissy and Logan!" We added a little picture in the middle of her DS and my DD together in a little heart, and added a Valentine lollipop to each one.
We handed them out randomly to CM's that were nice to us, or that did something special for our children, and I am happy to report that in one week we handed out over 100 of those little cards!
Our most special experience was that we handed them out to Pooh Bear, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet at Animal Kingdom at the greeting spot there, as well as their handlers. The next day we were in Epcot and handed a card to a sweet young man CM, who said "Hey I heard about these yesterday (winked) and TIGGER sure appreciated it! TIGGER hung it up on his locker!!"
Made our day and we are pretty sure we knew who TIGGER was! LOL
CM's are always the BEST to our kids and we appreciate them more than they will ever know! It was fun to let them know that on at least one of our many trips to the World!

I think it's a really nice idea! I know I would love a "good job" sticker at work every now and then!

We did the thank you cards this past January. We included the bus drivers too. One driver really touched our hearts on the way to the Studios. He kept the jokes coming and when we reached the parking lot he told us that he had been driving for Disney for 26 years and at the end of his shift he was retiring. We gave him a thank you card and he actually got tears in his eyes. He said he didn't expect anything from the guests, just tried to make their time at WDW the best experience that they could have. He also said that was the first thank you card he had ever received while driving for Disney. He had received thank you notes that his supervisor had given to him, but he had never been given a thank you card from a guest. So, you never know who you will touch with a card.

My family and I did a similar thing a couple of years ago while we were at WDW over Christmas. We took a couple of packages of the small candy canes with us and handed them out to CMs that were "extra magical" and also to some that seemed to need a little "pick me up". It was surprising some of the responses that we got for the CMs. Many were surprised by the thank you and Merry Christmas that we gave them. It seemed to make them feel very good and appreciated.

My kids had a great time taking the canes to the parks and handing them out. It is an important lesson for out kids about appreciating others and the things that they do for us. Have a great time!

We take them on every family trip and the boys love handing them to CMs that have been helpful. I wish I had printed some for this trip. My 8 year old got misplaced at DHS and a CM helped him by loaning him a cell so he could call me. We were up at the front, reporting him missing when he called.

We handed them out at Disneyland also and the CMs always really seem to appreciate it. I'll definitely print them for our 2010 trip.

Mary

As a Custodian at Disney's Hollywood Studios. I appreciate a card, because most of us are trying to make sure you have the easiest day! I've always appreciated a thank you and it's not fair to expect a guest to remember my name and where i was working, when I'm jsut doing what i would want someone to do for me!

We have done this on our last several Christmas trips. We pick up some small Disney holiday cards at the dollar store at home and then buy $5 gift cards from national chains such as McD. Wendy's, DD etc. We then fill these out with a thank you note and then put the cards inside and take them to the park on Christmas to thank CM for giving up their holiday to help make ours special. We also picked up some little holiday boxes at the $ store and placed the Mouse Keeper's daily tip in one each day with a note asking them to except this little gift in addition for our appreciation. Each of the CM seemed to really appreciate these.

Just so OP doesn't come away thinking this is a bad idea, I want to let you know about my experience on our trip in October. Our church/local community was participating in a campaign called "Be the Blessing" and I wanted to do something for the CM's on our trip in this spirit. I had remembered reading years ago about a family from the NE who gave tiny bottles of maple syrup to CMs, but I couldn't think of anything regional that would be appropriate.

Instead, I bought a few $5 Cold Stone gift certificates and made up small cards to hold them. My kids and I made a point of giving these cards to CMs who don't usually get a lot of guest interaction or recognition (restroom custodians, sweepers, etc.). The response we got was amazing. I had several CMs who immediately hugged us, and one who broke down in tears because no guest had ever thanked her for the work she does. I'm not saying you have to buy gift cards, but I do think most CMs genuinely appreciate a heartfelt thank you.

I also went to Guest Services several times to comment on CMs who went above and beyond, but these were not always the CMs we gave the cards to. Sometimes CMs just need to know that someone notices and appreciates the job they are doing.

This is FANTASTIC!

I totally agree that we should make an effort to fill out the cards that both thank the CM and let their supervisor know...

But this is such a great idea! And to recognize those cast members that may not be normally recognized is a great idea, too.

Kudos to your church for coming up with such a great campaign and kudos to you guys for participating in such a meaningful way! :thumbsup2

I always left a card along with the tip at all TS meals. When a CM was extra helpful (located an item at another location for us) I would alway give a special card. Sometimes its great to contact their supervisors when its above and beyond and I have done this in the past. Sometimes its just nice to show your appreciation for the very small thing CM's do. There are some good sites out there that you can print off these business sized cards. I alway get them lamenated so that they stand the test of time. The smiles on the faces of the CM's are what it is all about. They work so hard to bring the magic of Disney to all of our vacations...bringing a little magic to their day is the least we can to for those CM who put that little pixie dust on our time together.

CMs do tend to get "forgotten" -- unless, of course, you spy a dirty bathroom stall, the family in front of you won't move down the row, your CS order is missing something, or you don't get the extra towel you requested. THEN CMs are noticed!

There are great ideas here for recognizing people who are working hard and making your day better. But remember ... it doesn't have to be "either / or." You don't have to make a choice between handing out cards or writing a letter. You can do them both! If you want to hand out cards, then do so, as the CMs will probably get a kick out of them (particularly when given by kids). They will appreciate it. But if you want that sentiment of "You did a great job" to go down on their record card and help them out when it comes to raises / promotions, then also take the extra step to write down their name, location, date and put that in an e-mail, a letter, or a comment at Guest Relations. Doing both will ensure that the CM gets recognition in the moment as well as for the long term. Both will be sincerely appreciated!!

:earsboy:

This is FANTASTIC!

I totally agree that we should make an effort to fill out the cards that both thank the CM and let their supervisor know...

But this is such a great idea! And to recognize those cast members that may not be normally recognized is a great idea, too.

Kudos to your church for coming up with such a great campaign and kudos to you guys for participating in such a meaningful way! :thumbsup2

Thanks! We had so much fun doing this that we plan to do it on every trip from here on out!

I never passed out thank you notes, but I do make sure I say please, and thank you, and try to smile at the CMs who are helping me. I was a CM, and during busy times, I sometimes became the root of all things gone wrong on a person's vacation. Sometimes a simple, "thank-you" after someone checks you out at a register can go a long way. Or if a CM asks you "how are you doing today", and simple, "I am fine, and you" is nice too. It's the little things that can make someone's day so much better.

I agree that a comment to a boss or supervisor can go a long way, however......

When you think about it, no matter what job we do, most of the time when we are spoken to, it's alays advice on how to do something better, what you missed, etc....basically not getting an accolade, but rather a reminder that perfection has not been achieved.

Havign worked in retail, just having a customer thank me or noticed something I have done made all the difference in my attitude at work. Yeah, sure my boss may have gotten on to me about time spent finishing a task, but a thanks from a customer with a big smile sure perked me up and made me realize that someone out there noticed something, and kept me motivated to work.

I also used to work in the classroom. In behvaior managment there's an addage "catch them being good." Rathet than constantly singling out the troublemakers, you give attention tot hose who are good so that those who are acting out will cease their attention seeking behavior. This kinda goes along the same lines.

A small gesture, but a good one nonetheless. You never know how it will impact somebody.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter