Have you ever had to Cancel a Vacation?

An outright cancellation vs a rebooking with things already booked? No

We did just delay our ski trip as 3 out of 5 of us going got the flu a week and a half before we were supposed to go. We cancelled our hotel reservations but rebooked them for 2 weeks after our initial reservation. Unfortunately 1 of the people who could have gone before (and was one of the people who had the flu) was unable to come for the rescheduled weekend.

There have been multiple times where we were getting a trip together and then one or more things fell through or we ended up going to a different place at a different time but we didn't actual cancel anything as things weren't set in stone before. We were going to go to a beach vacation (before Coronavirus was talked about) but we didn't really cancel that perse just couldn't find a beach place we really wanted so we then started looking at cruises and then with all the Coronavirus issues that were around then opted to not take a cruise so while we didn't cancel our 2nd vacation this year we just haven't figured out what we're going to do now.

DH and I cancelled a DL trip last fall for Halloween. It was a bit of a splurge and I had some great plans for us, but his mother had a degenerative disease and was in the ICU due to complications. We opted to cancel and she passed away on Halloween. I was able to cancel everything and get most of the money back accept for our Oogie Boogie Bash tickets for Halloween Night. Disney would not budge.

I am very glad we made the decision to cancel. It was a relief to know we would be home regardless of her prognosis.

Never cancelled but I have postponed. We were planned, packed and had paid for our first trip to Universal but Mom got sick and was put in the hospital, she died a week later. The day were supposed to check in, I had to call and cancel and figured I would lose some money. But, no, they were absolutely wonderful.

They checked our tickets and said if we wanted the price, we had to go within a time frame but that if we needed to wait until after, they would help me figure out how to stay in that price, a cheaper ticket or pay as little of an upcharge as possible. The room type we had booked had no availability for the week we chose, but they gave us an upgrade at no extra cost. And to show how sorry they were for our loss, they gave us a gift card that we used toward express pass! They made us Universal fans for life with that one.

Had to cancel our 25th wedding anniversary trip as I had to fire one of my team members, who happened to act as my backup, two weeks before we left.

Yes, for various reasons. Death in the family, political unrest, etc...

DW and I had a 30th anniversary trip to London planned for May, 2018. On April 7 my vehicle slid on black ice and I was seriously injured in an accident--fractured pelvis, etc. We had to cancel.

I don't remember the first 4 days or so after the accident, but DW says that after I came out of surgery I told her, "I've got 6 weeks to get ready." DW smiled at me and looked at the nurse standing behind me, who just frowned and shook her head "No" like I was crazy. I don't know why, but the image of that in my mind still makes me chuckle.

Last edited:
Yes. We had a long weekend in Disney planned a couple of years ago but my FIL, who was battling cancer at the time, took a hard turn about a week or two before we were to leave so we decided not to go. We rented points, so that was a loss as was the airfare. Disney was kind enough to give us a refund for party tickets. I think there was another time when my grandfather passed away. One of my husband's friends who lived out of state was getting married. I think we were able to get a refund from the airline for that with the death certificate

Yes twice. Once due to a death in the family and cancelled a trip to the Caribbean. Another time just before leaving for Disney, my husband had a sudden medical emergency. Had travel insurance both times

Yes, just over a month ago. I was in an accident on my motor scooter; got hit by a car, resulting in a fractured femur and jaw.

No birthday trip to WDW for me.

I cancelled this year's May trip to Cali, but pretty far out. I didn't really have much planned yet. Wanted to save some money.

Not yet. We have a Disney trip in 10 days that I'm a bit nervous about, but as long as the parks are open and we can get there we're going.

I did - a trip to WDW cancelled because of Hurricane Irma. WDW made it easy, but it was so disappointing to have to cancel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter