• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

have you ever had anything stolen from you?

meaty

Mouseketeer
I have three times

Basically when I was in pe and food tech I took my blazer off and hung it up and then when I went back to check on it money was gone , £5.50 I think in total.

I had a car stolen from me. I drove it into work, drove it out to lunch and parked it and went back to work. I went to leave work at 5pm and I couldn't find it. I walked around the building dumbfounded. I went it and called the police. It was gone. They recovered it 20 days later but the entire engine was taken out and the wheels were gone. I had 2 car seats and a new pk of diapers in it and those were long gone too. Very disheartening. I felt cheated for sure!

Just a car or stuff left in a car. My car was recovered though, but stripped for parts. Most car thieves don't really try to keep a car too long. Driving around in a car that's stolen or with stolen plates is risky with plate recognition technology. Once I forgot to lock my car doors, and a thief was going around our neighbor looking for unlocked cars. Thief didn't take anything except pocket change, although all my stuff was rifled through. I've also had my window broken. Not quite sure why they stole my laundry though.

My daughter had her Ipod Touch stolen.... on Christmas day...by a family member. I stopped hosting Christmas dinner after that. :mad:

Sure!

I forgot a diaper bag at the park, and when I went back to look for it, someone had taken it.

But, that was actually the exception to the rule... usually I'm very lucky when it comes to people leaving my stuff alone. I left a jacket at a swimming pool and came back a week later to find it still hanging in the same locker (unlocked) that I'd left it in. I left my backpack on a chair in Epcot, and when I ran back to get it, not only was it still there but another family was watching it for me. I left my wallet on a tray in an Ontario McDonalds, and didn't realize until half an hour into our drive to the border. We had to turn around and go back to get it, and discovered that the staff were holding it at the counter for me. And I left my purse hanging off the back of a chair in a Tim Hortons, and when I went back an hour later, again, the staff were holding it at the counter for me.

I've been WAY luckier than I deserve. :)

(And now I always hook my bags over my knee - versus hanging them on the back of my seat - and check that I've got my wallet and phone before leaving anywhere.)

Our car also once got "broken" into (nothing was broken), but all they took was an inexpensive multi-tool. They even left the DVD in the glove compartment behind (I guess Rob Roy wasn't to their taste).

Yes, my wallet. Someone asked me a question about diapers, and while I was answer, standing with my hand on my cart, someone managed to slip their hand in my purse and take my wallet. What a fun mess that was to clean up.

Someone stole my GPS out of my car. I am really bad at locking my car/home--DH is always getting after me about it. He has yet to let me live that down.

I left my purse on the ground during nighttime fireworks in Disneyland. Got all the way to the hotel before I realized. Ran back in a panic against the flow of exiting guests only to find it gone. No one at guest relations or lost and found had seen it. I was panicked since it had my ID and we were flying home the next morning. I walked by to our room empty handed and tried to think of a backup plan for how I was going to get through the airport with no ID when lost and found called-- someone had turned it in. I was SO excited!

My heart...by my wife... :love: :love2:

Can I show her this and get brownie points??? :P

I was going to say the same thing - not your wife but my DH:bounce:

Actual material thing I felt the hurt was a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses I stupidly left on the dash of my open convertible - where is the face palm emoji

When I was still living with my parents our house was broken into while we were in Nova Scotia on a family road trip. We figured they were casing the place in the week before we left and they hit us the evening we left. In my new place I've had my 80 gallon propane tank for my fireplace stolen. They damaged the wall removing it from my patio. They must have had a heck of a time taking it though! Finally I've had my work belt that was hanging on my locker at work on my uniform stolen. It was stolen by a fellow crewmember and really hurt that one of my buddies would take it.

But I've had good things too! I left my phone in a bathroom stall at DHS and luckily someone turned it in! I actually got it back from the cast member who received it before it went to guest relations.

My daughter had her Ipod Touch stolen.... on Christmas day...by a family member. I stopped hosting Christmas dinner after that. :mad:

Sounds like you've had my sister over. HAHA. She used to steal from the family all the time. Then she'd try to lie when she got caught and either outright blame me or implicate me too.

Random stuff from cars (iPod, CDs, etc) a bike from our garage and last week my husband's motorcycle was stolen.

Yes, we had a $500.00 5-piece Dewalt power tool set stolen from our garage about 10 years ago. We didn't even know it until DH went looking for it and couldn't find it anywhere. We narrowed down the timline based on the last time he used it and i realized i had left the garage door open on accident one day. The crazy thing is, it was an attached garage with a side entry opening (and faced my really nosy neighbors house whose husband also happened to be a state police captain) and we lived in a cul de sac in the back of our subdivision, in a small town of 3000 people! You could BARELY see the contents of the garage from the street since we were in the cul de sac circle. You'd have to really get up close. So either it was someone walking on the sidewalk who took the quick opportunity, or someone we knew who knew what was in the garage.

Jerks.

My 16 year old had two bikes stolen at our current house, once when he left it in front of our house, and once he left his bike unlocked as a freshman at football practice. It started to rain so they went into the weight room. When he came out, the bike was long gone. Both were his fault due to lack of due diligence although its sick that live in a world that lays the blame on the person whose propertly was taken rather than the theif who took it!

On the flipside, i am the worst at leaving my purse laying around, and there have been countless times i've had to go back to the store to get it. Once, we were on a road trip and i left it in the cart of the store we stopped at. 50 miles down the road, i realized it was gone. I had about $400 in cash at the time! We doubled back as i called the store and they said someone returned it to the service desk. I was a wreck until we go there and there was the cash, sitting nicely where id left it in my wallet in the purse. I about fainted right then and there with relief.

So, there are still good guys out there!

Last edited:
Oh, I just remembered another time!

I'd just done my shopping, with two preschoolers in tow, and I stopped by the coin machines to purchase a small toy for them. I put my grocery bags down by my feet, so I could fish out change. When I looked down again, my bags were gone. Vanished!

I said, aloud, "Someone just took my groceries!"

The cashier said, "What? Just now?"

We looked around, but there was no one in sight. She asked, "What did you have in your bag? Who was your cashier?"

I told her - a loaf of bread, a few other things. No receipt - it'd been in the bag. She said, "Wait here," and went and consulted with the other cashier. Then they replaced all my groceries, free of charge!

I love that store. :) I've been shopping with them for 20 years, through a change of ownership and name.

Once at college someone stole a few articles of my clothing from the dryer. Why anyone would want them is beyond me.

ExH's car was broken into into our driveway. He was sure he had locked it, but there was no sign of forced entry. Some cassettes (remember them?), loose change and a few miscellaneous small items were taken. Plus, in the trunk, a specialized piece of electronic equipment he used for work. He said it was worth $1500. (1993 prices). He had to file a police report for his company's insurance carrier.

Had my purse stolen at a Meijer store. A clerk saw the thief take it out of my cart and ran after her, and got my purse back for me. Lucky.

Many things over the years. But I can't sit around and sulk over material items. Much more important things in life.
'
'

When I was 9 our house was broken into and they stole our puppy along with electronics, jewlery and my piggybank.

I've lived in two homes as an adult, and both were burglarized. We've also had a car stolen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter