Have You Ever Gotten Sick From a Disney Restaurant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got horrible food poisoning at Flame Tree - there was a bird watching me eat bbq chicken and I am fairly certain he cursed me for devouring his relative! I was sick for 24 hours and had to skip the parks for one day. Luckily I bounced back pretty quickly but I won’t go back to Flame Tree.

DS#2 got sick eating at BOMA. We were about 2/3 way through and he literally turned green. He left and went to the room (luckily we were staying there). Best we can figure it was a spice that they use that maybe we don't and he got a bit too much. He was perfectly fine before we went.

Remember a few posts back when I said Sci Fi Diner made me sick? Well, this year it was my Son-in-law for the second time . Someone always winds up sick at the hotel for the day after eating there. Needless to say, it is so bad that we all have decided never to go again since someone always winds up very very very sick.

Does anyone else have this same issue with Sci Fi?

I had salmon at Space 220 and it definitely made me sick. I thought it tasted kind of fishy but wasn’t sure. I should have sent it back. I’ll never go back there again and probably won’t ever get salmon at Disney again

Remember a few posts back when I said Sci Fi Diner made me sick? Well, this year it was my Son-in-law for the second time . Someone always winds up sick at the hotel for the day after eating there. Needless to say, it is so bad that we all have decided never to go again since someone always winds up very very very sick.

Does anyone else have this same issue with Sci Fi?
Yes. If you get any seafood dish there it’s risky. We always stick to the burger but kids prefer ABC commissary as QS. For Dinner we book Topolinos (they recently switched to a BBQ sauce (excessively salty)).

Yes. If you get any seafood dish there it’s risky. We always stick to the burger but kids prefer ABC commissary as QS. For Dinner we book Topolinos (they recently switched to a BBQ sauce (excessively salty)).
Both times my Son=in=law got sick was after eating the same burger. I got sick after eating chicken strips. The one thing we all had in common was having a shake. This year I had a salad and no shake. I was fine. Its just no worth it.

We ate at Topolinos beginning of December on our last day for the character breakfast. After breakfast everyone was feeling not 100% and 2 in our party threw up multiples times before getting on the plane to go home and 1 threw up on the plane ride home. It had to be food poisoning but what caused it who knows.

We ate at Topolinos beginning of December on our last day for the character breakfast. After breakfast everyone was feeling not 100% and 2 in our party threw up multiples times before getting on the plane to go home and 1 threw up on the plane ride home. It had to be food poisoning but what caused it who knows.

what an awful way to travel!!!!! so sorry that happened to you!!!!

I got sick two nights in a row on our last trip in December. The first night was after dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table. We had a 9:00 pm dinner and were going to stay until midnight for the extended hours for Deluxe Resort guests. My husband decided after dinner that we should go back to the Poly and have drinks at Trader Sam's instead. Needless to say, that was a great decision, because I needed the toilet in our room really bad by the time we got back. I did have the mussels, which were absolutely fantastic by the way, and my husband had a salad for appetizer. We both had the same entree and dessert, so I'm thinking maybe the mussels???

The second night was after Space 220 Lounge. We shared a plate of calamari. I got sick, he didn't. I think I visited most of the Epcot bathrooms that evening.

I honestly though don't think any of it was truly the actual food that made me sick. I'm very into weight training and I am very strict with what I eat and follow a macro diet daily. I think eating "regular food" may just have thrown my body into a tailspin. I was fine the rest of the trip.

Last edited:
Travel eating is always a "wrench" into the dining habits. Too much food, lots of walking, dehydration, heavy foods, etc. And all it can take is one meal to trigger something awful. But. True"food poisoning" is a health hazard. Restaurants get shut down over that. But in order for that to happen, almost the entire dining room would've had to fall ill. Rest up and hydrate.

Travel eating is always a "wrench" into the dining habits. Too much food, lots of walking, dehydration, heavy foods, etc. And all it can take is one meal to trigger something awful. But. True"food poisoning" is a health hazard. Restaurants get shut down over that. But in order for that to happen, almost the entire dining room would've had to fall ill. Rest up and hydrate.
No. There is a big difference between food poisoning and just having an upset stomach from a change in diet. If you have ever truly had food poisoning, then you would know the difference right away. And no, they do not shut restaurants down for a few cases of norovirus because that is very hard to prove. You would have to have something really bad, like a seafood restaurant getting a bad batch of shellfish, where the majority of people got sick. But a lot of these cases are norovirus, where someone did not wash their hands properly and touched a few items. Or a bit of produce came in bad. Working in food, you get lettuce recalls at least once or twice a year. So many people are so misinformed about the different types of food poisoning and make blanket statements, like you have. And that is just simply not true.

No. There is a big difference between food poisoning and just having an upset stomach from a change in diet. If you have ever truly had food poisoning, then you would know the difference right away. And no, they do not shut restaurants down for a few cases of norovirus because that is very hard to prove. You would have to have something really bad, like a seafood restaurant getting a bad batch of shellfish, where the majority of people got sick. But a lot of these cases are norovirus, where someone did not wash their hands properly and touched a few items. Or a bit of produce came in bad. Working in food, you get lettuce recalls at least once or twice a year. So many people are so misinformed about the different types of food poisoning and make blanket statements, like you have. And that is just simply not true.

I agree.

One time i picked up some cherry tomatoes at a different store than where i normally buy them. Both my daughter and i had a VERY violent and almost immediate reaction to them (nearly projectile vomiting). It was so extreme, it took me a few years to start eating cherry tomatoes again (one of my all time favorite foods). It was obviously something on them that i hadn't cleaned off well enough (or that couldn't be cleaned off).
Anyway, it happens, both at home and away.

At WDW, from my recollection, it only happened to us at crystal palace.

Norovirus is also spread directly from human to human (not through food). Or from surfaces. And the symptoms are the same no matter how you get it.

People often jump to “food poisoning” when they have a gastrointestinal ailment, but, it’s more likely that the infection came from another person and not from the food. It’s very highly contagious. It ran through wildfire through (what seemed like) my entire city this past fall. It seemed like every family I knew had at least one person go down with it (including my son and me). So yeah…it for sure spreads in ways other than food. Disney is just a really germy place.

Couple of other things about food poisoning…
-It won’t manifest immediately after eating. Norovirus takes 12-72 hours to show up, so it is probably not even from the last location where you ate.
-If you have actual food poisoning, probably a lot of other people do too. You can always file a report with the health department.

I don’t doubt that there are true food poisoning cases that come from Disney. But most of the vomiting/diarrhea situations are from germs that are around, just like colds/flu/Covid that people also pick up there.

Norovirus is also spread directly from human to human (not through food). Or from surfaces. And the symptoms are the same no matter how you get it.

People often jump to “food poisoning” when they have a gastrointestinal ailment, but, it’s more likely that the infection came from another person and not from the food. It’s very highly contagious. It ran through wildfire through (what seemed like) my entire city this past fall. It seemed like every family I knew had at least one person go down with it (including my son and me). So yeah…it for sure spreads in ways other than food. Disney is just a really germy place.

-It won’t manifest immediately after eating. Norovirus takes 12-72 hours to show up, so it is probably not even from the last location where you ate.
-If you have actual food poisoning, probably a lot of other people do too. You can always file a report with the health department.

I don’t doubt that there are true food poisoning cases that come from Disney. But most of the vomiting/diarrhea situations are from germs that are around, just like colds/flu/Covid that people also pick up there.

food poisoning typically causes vomiting within one to eight hours after eating the bad food.
Food poisoning is caused by eating something that has been contaminated with germs.

This can happen if food:

• is not cooked or reheated thoroughly
  • is not stored correctly – for example, it's not been frozen or chilled
  • is left out for too long
  • is handled by someone who's ill or has not washed their hands
  • is eaten after its "use by" date
Any type of food can cause food poisoning.

for speed of illness:
https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/symptoms.html

food poisoning typically causes vomiting within one to eight hours after eating the bad food.
Food poisoning is caused by eating something that has been contaminated with germs.

This can happen if food:

• is not cooked or reheated thoroughly
  • is not stored correctly – for example, it's not been frozen or chilled
  • is left out for too long
  • is handled by someone who's ill or has not washed their hands
  • is eaten after its "use by" date
Any type of food can cause food poisoning.

for speed of illness:
https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/symptoms.html
As outlined in the link you provided, the length of time for symptoms to show depends completely on what kind of germ made you sick. It can take days. But food poisoning isn’t the only cause of gastrointestinal illness. At a place like Disney where there are many thousands of people, several of which certainly don’t have awesome hygiene habits, I would be willing to put money down that the vast vast vast majority of stomach bugs are not food poisoning. If I had to guess, I’d say eating without washing one’s hands is the main culprit.

That is simply not true about the time frame that you posted. It is actually getting annoying that so many keep saying this. There are several that can bring on a reaction almost immediately. This is a quote from a site talking about food poisonings. Please stop spreading misinformation. Many bacteria can take several hours, but not all of them. And if you are a person that can't tell the difference between food poisoning and just a stomach bug, then chances are that you don't have food poisoning because what we are talking about is easily recognizable when you have it.

Bacteria like Staph and Bacillus cereus can make you sick quickly, within 1 to 7 hours. These bacteria produce fast-acting toxins in foods (such as meat or dairy for Staph, and starchy foods like rice for B. cereus). Keeping such foods refrigerated at 40 °F or colder helps slow or stop the growth of these bacteria.

Happy new year everyone. This one has served its purpose and we will,leave it as last years post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter