• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever gone somewhere to stay overnight , then saw it thought it was so awful that you refused to stay there?

We went to a concert once that was about three hours away so we decided to get a hotel room for the night. When we got there, it seemed really dingy (even though it looked ok in pics online). They gave us a key to our room and we went to go in and there were people already in the room that we walked in on! So we headed back down to the front desk but stopped at their restaurant on the way there, which was supposed to be really nice but seemed horrible, and the pool, looked like a tiny sweat box. So instead of getting another room, we told them we were leaving. They tried to convince us to stay, but we just wanted to leave. We checked into a nearby Sheraton for a little more money but it was nice and clean and updated and we had a good stay there. That’s the only time that’s ever happened to us.

Many, many years ago we booked 2 rooms at a hotel in Mobile, AL on Expedia. Wasn't expecting much, it was only a 2 star, but had ok reviews and I'm not picky about hotels as long as they're clean.

Arrived late at night, there was a guy changing the oil from his car under the awning at the front door. Parked and walked in, lobby was ok. Room #1 had a collapsed ceiling (ceiling tiles and debris all over) and water lines around the walls. Room #2 had a molded coffee pot and unflushed toilet complete with cigarette butts. Asked for new rooms, they were just as bad. Apparently they hadn't repaired anything from a hurricane a few months prior, but were still renting out rooms. Checked out and went elsewhere. Never could get a complete refund from Expedia and refuse the use them ever again.

Only once, but we stayed anyway. I had just finished driving 700 miles and was exhausted. We got the last room at the end of the complex in a ground level room. It was obvious that the door had been jimmied open at one time or the other but the door still locked and I fell asleep instantly, however, my wife and kids were awake most of the night because they were afraid.

They didn't mention it to me until after. Actually I'm glad they didn't mention it because I was to tired to look for some other place so I would have felt guilty about staying anyway. I would have stayed without a doubt even though I had my concerns, they weren't strong enough to get me to move on.

Yep. Back in the early 80's my buddy and I went to NYC with our girlfriends. We went out drinking most of the night and decided to grab a room to crash in, then we'd head home in the morning. Went to this one place to see if they had vacancy and they did so the front desk gave us the key and said we could go check it out first ...which we thought was really nice of him. I mean, how bad could it be? We head to the room and open the door, I turn the light on and all you could hear were the feet of cockroaches scrambling for cover. Needless to say we found a Hilton that felt bad for us and gave us a cheap rate for the rest of the night and all was well....

Yes. A Ramada Inn in Upstate NY. Mold along the baseboards and the wall. Didn't even consider unpacking. They refused an immediate refund. We left and contacted corporate.

Haven’t refused, but have gone to places where I wish I did. I’ve stayed in a lot of budget accommodations and can tolerate a lot. Rustic cabins were mentioned. You’ve got to set your expectations understanding what they are, so those have always been fine.

I did stay in Sacramento with my mother when my father had just undergone surgery in the area. We didn’t want to go overboard and stayed at one place that was a well known chain. The carpets were well worn, some of the moulding was gone, and it just seemed like whoever owned the place just didn’t care. And even then it was $100 a night. Many of the other guests seemed really sketchy too. It was that kind of place. We went home the next night, but then came back and got a much better room at a Holiday Inn a bit further away from the hospital.

I stayed a place undergoing renovation and it was clear that our room was freshly done. Only the one piece sink appeared to have been smashed up and then glued back together. Not sure if a previous guest did that or it fell off the truck, but it was something that I found really bizarre.

I don’t really mind older though. I’ve stayed in motel rooms that felt dated, but I could see an effort where maybe there were a lot of layers, but the last coat of paint was reasonably new. The bathroom fixtures were old but at least in good working condition. Cheap carpeting, but at least it looked new.

Yes. A Disneyland trip of all things. The hotel we booked overbooked and they moved us to a so-called comparable hotel which ended up not in walking distance and was a flea bag. We simply said no and called the Candy Cane Inn to see if they had a room. They did and that was that. I know a lot of people swear by the Candy Cane. It's not my first choice but I could certainly see at the time why a lot of people liked it. We did too.

Yes. In our late 20s went to Las Vegas for the first time with another couple. The other couple booked Circus Circus for all of us. We went inside for a bout five minutes, canceled the reservation and moved to the MGM Grand.
LOL Circus Circus Annex is legendary sketch. One of the top 5 worst. And even the main building isn't really up to snuff either. But compared to the annex, it's the Taj Mahal. And the real problem is that north end is highly suspect once you're off the grounds.

Our last trip to WDW was in May. We stayed at a hotel before moving to POP, and it was yucky smelled like weed the front desk staff was nice but he was so high, the lady checking at the same time as me, we laughed all the way to our rooms. then on the way back, we stayed in Sanford & the hotel was worse the front desk guy just left when his shift was over, we had to go look for bedding for the sofa bed luckily I found an unlocked linen area, people sleeping in the hallways. I messaged Priceline about the last hotel and told them it was bad never heard back & I emailed Choice Hotels too and they basically said tough luck for you

LOL Circus Circus Annex is legendary sketch. One of the top 5 worst. And even the main building isn't really up to snuff either. But compared to the annex, it's the Taj Mahal. And the real problem is that north end is highly suspect once you're off the grounds.

Haven't stayed there, but did stay in the tower - I think around 2006? I remember it was $45 a night for the "Manor". After looking it up they call it the "Manor Motor Lodge". I think it was a fleabag motel that was next door that they then bought.

https://www.circuscircus.com/hotels/manor-motor-lodge-rooms/

At check in they offered a tower room (don't recall which one) for $5 more and we took it. At least they had security checking for room keys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter