Have You Ever Dissed a Restaurant & Then Flipped?

samsteele

DIS Veteran
Recently I responded to another thread and stomped hard on Kona Cafe for dropping fan favourites, its years long slide in service and quality and its wacky new menu. However, I took another look at those steaks, and those price points, and am wondering if Kona is actually testing out some quality signature level cuts. Of course, big price at WDW is never, ever a guarantee of good. But it's still intriguing. I want to see some good consistent reviews over the next few months but am now thinking about carving out space for a dinner here next fall just to try out that ribeye. If paying OOP, then its a big gamble when you can drop the same bucks at California Grill and have some confidence in quality. But if on DP and want to use that 1 TS credit, this is a better gamble.

Have you ever dissed then dined on a WDW restaurant? I suspect many have quietly done just that but given how the only truly consistent thing at WDW restaurants is their inconsistency, am curious if you've done this recently and where. How did it turn out? Name that restaurant if you will.

Once I ate at POR at Boatrights, back in the days when it was called Dixie Landings, and Boatrights served breakfast. The server was incredibly rude, maybe her boyfriend broke up with her that morning. For years, I refused to go back, and told everyone what an awful place it was. Finally, after about 10 years, I gave it a second try-don't know why, but I was so glad I did. This time my server was as nice as the other one had been un-nice. And I had sweet potato pancakes, which were excellent. Of course, only a few months later, Boatrights stopped serving breakfast. Moral to the story-don't wait too long to give a restaurant a second chance.

Yak and Yeti - it was always a big NO from us and I didn’t get the draw of it(not even the wonton hype could get me through the door) last trip, we tried it on a whim because it was a) hot b)had air conditioning. It ended up being one of our fave meals from our entire 2 week, Deluxe Dining Plan stretched stomachs :rolleyes2 Can’t wait to go back in November!

Le Cellier. I hated the meal we had years ago and refused to add it to our rotation. My DSIL requested it this last trip so I begrudgingly added it to our ADR's and was flabbergasted. I went in expecting to be annoyed throughout the meal, but it was excellent. From our arrival to the moment wee left the experience was stellar. Food and service were both outstanding.

In regards to Kona, my family dined there in December and it was a favorite meal of ours. I have no idea how themenu change will affect guest experiences, but I also wonder about the steak prices. 1 credit and a $95 steak?????? Where is this restaurant heading?????

Le Cellier. I hated the meal we had years ago and refused to add it to our rotation. My DSIL requested it this last trip so I begrudgingly added it to our ADR's and was flabbergasted. I went in expecting to be annoyed throughout the meal, but it was excellent. From our arrival to the moment wee left the experience was stellar. Food and service were both outstanding.
Maybe the lesson here is to go into it expecting to be incredibly disappointed. That way, you'll be pleasantly surprised and elated if it doesnt suck too much? :lmao: I havent gone back to LC since having a bad meal there a couple of years back. I know i should give it another shot...and i will eventually. I normally go to F&W so i get the filet/risotto from the food booth every time i go. No need for an ADR. :teeth:

Yes, R&C in Epcot. Terrible table location and server experience first time. Didn't go for many years but last two trips had wonderful experience and servers ON THE PATIO, both times for lunch. Never again inside for us.

I sure have.

The first time I went to California Grill after the redo a few years back, I was not impressed at all. After skipping it the following year, I reluctantly booked an ADR for the sole purpose of the view for at that time Wishes. Wow... Since then it is always on our to do list and this trip in June is no exception.

I sure have.

The first time I went to California Grill after the redo a few years back, I was not impressed at all. After skipping it the following year, I reluctantly booked an ADR for the sole purpose of the view for at that time Wishes. Wow... Since then it is always on our to do list and this trip in June is no exception.
You're lucky. I've gone so many times since the refurb, and each time my meal was disappointing. I've decided to take a break from there for a while.

Not really because we always used the 2 strike rule. If a meal was bad we gave the place another try just in case. It worked great for years until our latest trip. The girls have banned Rose & Crown and BoG for life. I have been informed that with all the places to eat they can easily drop a few. Sigh these girls are harsh.

Two:

Yachtsman. We finally returned in summer 2017 and it was fantastic. Ate there again last fall and, sadly, had some of same issues that kept us away. Taking another break this trip, but will return.

Hollywood & Vine dinner. I once thought you wouldn’t be able to drag me back there, but my DS really wanted to try Minnie’s seasonal dine and the food and experience were great. We returned and it was good again.

Yes, two in particular that I recall - the new Flying Fish and Skipper's. We went to FF right after the refurb and it was kind of a disaster. Super long meal, bad service and messed up order. The food was also quite mediocre. We tried it again last August and it was fantastic! Skipper's as well - we went right when it opened and it just didn't have its sea legs yet. We've been back a few times and it's been consistently good. I've flip-flopped the other way on a few as well. Used to love O'hana and that's a hot mess at this point and Monsieur Paul used to be our hidden gem with a great menu. On our last visit, my seafood tasted like it was pre-cooked and had been sitting in a warming bin for hours - super bad.

Two:

Hollywood & Vine dinner. I once thought you wouldn’t be able to drag me back there, but my DS really wanted to try Minnie’s seasonal dine and the food and experience were great. We returned and it was good again.

Same! We hadn't been since a visit in 2006 when I'd sworn I would never eat there again. My sister went this past holiday season and said it was honestly really good and that we should try it again. We were gonna be there on Christmas Day and had JBJB dessert party reservations later in the day so I thought, "what the heck, let's try it"...and H, our daughter, and I really enjoyed it (and as an FYI to my fellow vegetarian DISers, they had a ton of veg stuff!). We're also going to WDW for Christmas this year and plan to repeat this meal for sure. :)

Skipper Canteen. I had really been looking forward to eating there, but was disappointed the first time. The server recited her skipper lines, but her heart wasn’t in it. I had the char siu pork, which was about half meat and half gristle and fat. I had no intention of returning anytime soon. Then, I was at MK about a week and a half ago on a particularly unpleasant weather day and decided I wanted a warm, dry table service lunch. Other than The Plaza, I’m not a fan of MK table service restaurants. Skipper Canteen was available and I thought I would give it another try. My server wasn’t really in character, but was very friendly. I had the cachapas for my appetizer (good) and the Tastes Like Chicken for my entree (OK). I can’t say it is now one of my favorites, but I will try Skipper Canteen again.

Thanksgiving 2017 we went to 'Ohana for dinner and it was terrible. I felt like the moment that we sat down that she wanted us out. It was terribly rushed and the food was not good. You could have used the steak as golf ball. It was so tough and hard.

Thanksgiving 2018, I didn't have it booked and my daughter whined so bad about not going that I found a last minute reservation. It was really, really good like it used to be years ago. We were seated with 15 mins, our servers were amazing and no one rushed us. We aren't ones to stick around restaurants. We eat and do other things, but I felt like we could have relaxed there and it would have been fine.

Now in saying that, next time it could be horrible. You never know what you are going to get w/ Disney restaurants.

Our 'Ohana breakfast was still pretty crappy.

I refused to go to Tony’s Town Square after they took pistachio creme brûlée off the menu. After a few years I finally relented after they changed the menu. Still no pistachio creme brûlée but enjoyed it.

Still not happy with new menu at Pecos Bill’s as well but always seem to stop in.

Was really disappointed when they closed the grill cheese stand in Epcot by test track.

:earseek:Our favorite restaurant to hate used to be Chef Icky’s!:earseek::scared: The food was horrid and I got deathly ill eating there. So many people were letting their children use their hands to grab stuff off the bar and not use the untensils. I promised my body to never eat there again after my porcelain throne conference:sick:.

Then my daughter wanted to dine there for her 5th Birthday. Against better judgement I obliged :eek:. I was presently surprised that the buffet had changed for the better! I went from calling it Chef Icky's back to calling it Chef Mickey’s. I’m glad I gave it another chance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter