• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have we become this litigious: School Related

Litigious...now that's a big word. LOL! I don't think this has anything to do with law suits, but rather to appease "those" parents, the ones who throw a fit over everything.

Arguing with you is generally futile
Because my points cannot be effectively refuted? Wow! Thanks for the compliment. :hug:

Our community is tight-knit, despite sitting in the middle of a huge metropolitan area.
Does every member of the municipality agree with you about everything? If not, is your government able to come to consensus about the specific issues such that they can officially sanction the activities in question? If not, then there is no justification for forcing such a significant number of members of your community to support (and not just financially) something that they don't care about (or perhaps even oppose).

You clearly idealize what you believe schools SHOULD be but the fact remains that it is not a cold, government factory.
Not at all. My point is about respecting people, rather than disrespecting them by trivializing their concerns, in the manner you are. The people who favor these activities are perfectly and completely entitled to foster them outside of the municipal context. Go door to door. Rent out spaces for regular fairs and get-togethers, where such things can be shared. There are myriad ways. Just don't make people who don't agree with you kowtow to what you want, just because you want them to, and can abuse the control you may have over these municipal operations to misuse them in this manner.

I would take GREAT offense if I received a flyer that in some way promoted a religious or a political perspective but it has never happened.
Many of the organizations we're talking about project a specific tilt with regard to religious or political perspectives. It is that tilt that often precludes them from municipal sanction.

Abuse of control over municipal operations should not be allowed, as reward for ignoring these precepts that preclude municipal sanction.

The rest are mostly Little League, AYSO, youth football, parks & rec, classes/events at the state parks and things along those lines with the occasional flyer from the local dance studio, gymnastics gym, music store, art gallery/studio, etc. Nothing with an expressly religious or discriminatory nature, just notices of activities the community offers for children.
Just a clarification: Little League Baseball holds a federal charter. And Parks & Recreation, and classes/events at state parks, are municipally-sanctioned events. I see no problem with such communications through the schools. AYSO doesn't, and youth football probably doesn't, so those organizations shouldn't be fostered, nor should any of the commercial entities. However, if such organizations, based on how they operate (i.e., without offensive bias), would qualify for government contracts, then I see nothing wrong with schools charging them for the privilege of distributing their materials, as long as the community approves and the schools make a profit on it.

Because my points cannot be effectively refuted? Wow! Thanks for the compliment. :hug: .

No, because you are like a dog with a bone. Sometimes it is acceptable to state your perspective without assuming that it is univerally shared (or universally correct) and to stop when you have made your point. I have made my point. You disagree with it. c'est la vie.

Sometimes it is acceptable to state your perspective without assuming that it is univerally shared (or universally correct) and to stop when you have made your point. I have made my point. You disagree with it. c'est la vie.
Precisely. I'm glad you've finally realized this. :thumbsup2

California apparently is the front runner in everything, this included.
I was involved in Little League and Soccer and best I can tell the disclaimer on flyers has been required by the public schools a LONG time here, prior to 1997 when I first became involved.
We also have to have proof of insurance on file if we use school facilities. Our actual fields were at a park, but a number of our teams use (and maintain) the baseball fields at area schools for practices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter