Have to cancel. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caren

Yo ho, yo ho...
I have some unexpected surgery coming up next week that will mean we can't go on our December Disney trip. We're less than 31 days out and are considering our options. We have an August use year, so at least the points are good until August.

We could put the points into a holding account, but with having to book less than 60 days out, I suspect that would leave us with a choice of Saratoga Springs in late January. What are the experiences here with using points in a holding account?

I don't really want to rent out the reservation--just don't feel up to dealing with the logistics.

One option we're considering is to just give the stay to any friends or relatives that can go that weekend. Don't know if anyone is both free and wants to go.

The we have to deal with our Southwest fights--don't know what their policy is.

I hate having to miss Disney.

Call MS and ask if they can do anything to keep the points from going into holding since it's a medical issue.

I ran into a similiar issue and they were able to take care of the holding issue. Also Southwest is very good about giving you credit for your flight.
However with a December reservation, there could be a pretty good demand for that, and you could have the service that posts here on the DIS do the renting for you.
It's nice to have options! :)

Always a shame to miss a trip. We have been burned by the holding account problem before. The booking windows are so narrow we couldnt find anything and ended up using A TON of points to stay at the Poly before the points would have been lost.

Regarding Southwest, my experience has been that they will hold the credit for one year for rebooking.

Hope thigs work out for you,

Call and ask, sometimes you can get a one time reprieve for medical emergencies.

Will they do that?

I've heard that has been done for people. We did not get that exception when my mother passed away so do not count on that happening. If you're flexible then using holding points isn't impossible but yes, you may be staying at SSR or OKW. I personally don't think that's a bad thing so it hasn't mattered to me but I can understand the disappointment when you had a particular place you were looking forward to being at.

SWA is very easy to deal with. If you bought a non-refundable ticket they will give you a full credit for your purchase that can be used towards another flight anytime in the next year. The credit is good for 1 year from the date you purchased your original flight - not that date that the flight was to occur. You will have to pay any difference in fare if there is one.

SWA is very easy to deal with. If you bought a non-refundable ticket they will give you a full credit for your purchase that can be used towards another flight anytime in the next year. I believe that credit begins on the day you cancel - not from the date that your flight was scheduled for.
Unless there are different rules for a medical issue the credit is good for one year from the date of purchase. Your rebooked trip must occur within that timeframe. If Ticketless Travel Funds were used to purchase the ticket then the expiration date is the earliest purchase date of the TTFunds used. For a fee ($50 per ticket I think) you can extend the expiration date. There are folks on the Transportation board who are experts on these issues so I suggest the OP check there as this gets discussed fairly often.

Unless there are different rules for a medical issue the credit is good for one year from the date of purchase. Your rebooked trip must occur within that timeframe. If Ticketless Travel Funds were used to purchase the ticket then the expiration date is the earliest purchase date of the TTFunds used. For a fee ($50 per ticket I think) you can extend the expiration date. There are folks on the Transportation board who are experts on these issues so I suggest the OP check there as this gets discussed fairly often.

Oops - yes, that's correct. Fixed my post.

We may have to cancel our trip too..but not due to a medical issue. We our at our 31 day mark til trip. How does this work? We have never had to do this before and we are not sure what to do.

Sorry about your medical issues, hope your surgery goes well!!

We had to cancel part of our trip 10 days out in September 2008. (brother in law lost his job and canceled on us). We were able to book Saratoga Springs (only thing available) for the week before Christmas and got two studios on the first call. I guess you have to be flexible and since we drive, we didn't have to worry about flight schedules and expense.
Sorry for your medical issue and I hope everything works out well!

We may have to cancel our trip too..but not due to a medical issue. We our at our 31 day mark til trip. How does this work? We have never had to do this before and we are not sure what to do.
If you cancel 31 days or more from check in your points go back into your account. If you cancel 30 days to 1 day before check in your points go into the holding account and can only be used to book something on short notice (within 60 days of your check in date). Depending on the time of year that can make using the points very difficult. If you cancel on or after your check in day you lose all of the points.

If you cancel 31 days or more from check in your points go back into your account. If you cancel 30 days to 1 day before check in your points go into the holding account and can only be used to book something on short notice (within 60 days of your check in date). Depending on the time of year that can make using the points very difficult. If you cancel on or after your check in day you lose all of the points.

Thanks so much. It looks like it might work out now. SO excited!!

We had to cancel part of our trip 10 days out in September 2008. (brother in law lost his job and canceled on us). We were able to book Saratoga Springs (only thing available) for the week before Christmas and got two studios on the first call. I guess you have to be flexible and since we drive, we didn't have to worry about flight schedules and expense.
Sorry for your medical issue and I hope everything works out well!

Thanks. We found out about the surgery 29 days before our ressie--bad luck there. We decided we really didn't want to deal with points in a holding account, but had friends who decided they could make that time frame work. Only thing is that the 1-bedroom villa that we had originally booked for a couple, is now going to be home to five people including two pre-schoolers. The Old Key West 1-bedroom is spacious, but I don't think it's that spacious. I wait listed them for a two-bedroom, although I really don't think it will come through.

Caren,

Some 1 Bedrooms @ OKW are huge, and should be plenty big for a family of 5 especially since 2 are pre-schoolers.Good luck with your surgery.:thumbsup2

I agree with the OKW 1 BR being plenty big enough for 5 with 2 of them preschool. This is especially true if they get a renovated room with the single bed sleep chair. The biggest issue might be just having one bathroom but with the sink and jacuzzi in a separate room it should work out okay.

I agree with the OKW 1 BR being plenty big enough for 5 with 2 of them preschool. This is especially true if they get a renovated room with the single bed sleep chair. The biggest issue might be just having one bathroom but with the sink and jacuzzi in a separate room it should work out okay.

I've always thought preschoolers require more room than adults, not less. Maybe it was just my very energetic preschoolers.

I've always thought preschoolers require more room than adults, not less. Maybe it was just my very energetic preschoolers.

I agree - was just meaning that an OKW 1 BR would be big enough for 5 where I would not think of putting that many in any of the other 1 BR units with 2 preschoolers. I found it cramped in a 2 BR at BCV when it came to the living room space with just one preschooler and 4 adults but then I am a true blue OKW fan anyway.

I had to cancel at around 25 days recently for a medical issue and my points went into holding. I asked if there was anything they could do since it was a medical issue and they said no...rules are rules. So you never know you need to ask. We will be traveling at end of Jan now (I have a Feb UY so have limited time to use the pts)...but that is ok, I will just need to be flexible since I am booking on such short notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter