Have Stress, Will Travel

Shanti

Momketeer
I know I can't be the only poster here, for whom vacation is an escape, and a healing experience, rather than just another pleasurable or family bonding activity. I need these trips with a capital n. They fill a void of joy, security and good treatment that I cope with, and have coped with for years, in my difficult daily life. At least these current years have the advantage that I can escape occasionally through travel, whereas I didn't even have that option before. This past month has been particularly stressful, which is what led me to reflect.

For those of you out there with similar struggles, who find solace in getting away from it all, you have my empathy and sincere wishes for the best. May God bless you.

Its defiantly a whole new world for me, I leave it all behind, I am a fun vacation guy, But if I got a bunch of junk going on, I plow thru it before I leave

Nope. I find the initial planning stage to increase my stress levels which is why I attempt to wing a load of stuff much to the horror of Disney devotees.

Like Low key I prefer to sort out any issues before I go anywhere because I’d still be worried about them in a different environment.

For my own self care and healing I’ve found that being outside in nature helps me. But you know, different people, different strategies so do whatever is needed to recharge.

Nope. I find the initial planning stage to increase my stress levels which is why I attempt to wing a load of stuff much to the horror of Disney devotees.

Like Low key I prefer to sort out any issues before I go anywhere because I’d still be worried about them in a different environment.

For my own self care and healing I’ve found that being outside in nature helps me. But you know, different people, different strategies so do whatever is needed to recharge.
::yes:: 100% agree with the bolded. As an introvert, I find daily life itself (interacting with family/friends/work) to be extremely draining, even when it's not particularly "stressful". The only thing that soothes and recharges me when I'm overwhelmed is to be completely alone in peace-and-quiet where nobody needs anything from me and I don't have to interact. This comes in small fits-and-snatches and I make sure to protect as much time for it in my day to day schedule as possible.

Vacations for us are usually spent going somewhere we've long anticipated and doing a bunch of things we may never have the opportunity to do again. Not only does it take quite a bit of work to get organized; there's also always any number of things that can go wrong and will need to be handled on-the-fly. It's hectic and exciting, which is in itself a type of stress. Counting on a vacation to be a restful respite just isn't how we see it.

Of course there is great benefit in being together having fun and getting a break from our routine, but relaxing it is usually NOT. And with my job especially, taking time off just means there's a mountain of work looming over me when I return, so it's not really a blessing that way. As far as being able to entirely disconnect and escape from whatever might going on in our lives? No - I don't think that's actually possible for anybody really. Your mind and your heart stays engaged; how can they not? We left on our most recent holiday knowing a very dear friend was fighting for his life; we spent every bit as much time thinking, talking about and praying together for him as we would have at home, not to mention sitting on pins-and-needles waiting for news.

my life isn't as difficult as my mind can be. it is tough being in a dark place so much of my life. it helps me to always have something planned to look forward to. it helps me get by and through some of the darkness. take care op!

Holy ish. I have been struggling so much, for so long. I finally saw a doctor last week and lost my ever loving mind...just a complete meltdown

When I was done, she asked what I enjoyed in life. I said travel and reading, etc.

She "prescribed me" a vacation and an A-OK to spend some money and time on myself and to stock up on books.

We booked a trip that afternoon.

Yes, it means pulling my kids from school for a few days, which I do not agree with, but it is what I need, to stay alive at this point.

I mean, she also prescribed me a myriad of pills, too, but the "ok" to do what I love, to heal a bit, is what I needed.

My brain makes my life a lot harder than it really is .. vacation gives me a chance to ignore it for a bit. It's not a permanent fix, but it keeps my eyes on something other than scary things.

Last edited:

^^^sorry...way more info than I normally share about my life. Just having a rough time, and IRL I don't share, at all. Cathartic to vomit some struggles to strangers.
:flower3: Care to tell us what the matter is? Lots of people do that here.

For me, stress relief vacations are weekend getaways to the beach that involve little planning. A basic clean hotel room and lots of walks on the beach. Other vacations usually involve more planning.

We did do a last minute stress relief long weekend in new orleans back in march. The only planning I did other than quick booking flights and a motel room was reading a guide book on the plane. That was unusual for me. I hope to do more of that kind of travel as we head towards retirement, but I hope it's not for stress relief!

Primary caretaker for my elderly dad who lives with us. Vacations are required to get a break from the day to day of that, even though he is an adorable sweet man. My brother steps in when we go away, God bless him.

::yes:: 100% agree with the bolded. As an introvert, I find daily life itself (interacting with family/friends/work) to be extremely draining, even when it's not particularly "stressful". The only thing that soothes and recharges me when I'm overwhelmed is to be completely alone in peace-and-quiet where nobody needs anything from me and I don't have to interact. This comes in small fits-and-snatches and I make sure to protect as much time for it in my day to day schedule as possible.
This is me. Exactly. But I look at vacations as a time I can be more social and come out of my shell more. I figure I'll never see the people, I see on vacations, again. And I guess I like my Disney trips so much because I have the planning down to a T now and since we go so often we don't HAVE to do specific things and can just wing it and go casual. So I grab ADRs, that are the tougher to get, right at 180 days and don't sweat if I can't get them (I set up the search on TP too and that works well). I grab our 3 FP+ and that's all we do as far as rides. We don't wait in lines. We do walk in TS lunches if we don't have any ADRs booked that day (or we see what pops up on the MDE). There's a lot more chill time and people watching and eating and drinking ans that is perfect to me. We also cruise and I like that for it's ease too. We know how to plan easy for those and really there isn't much needed. We mostly drive to our trips so less planning needed there too. The most stressful part is the pre-trip stuff like cleaning house, boarding dog, packing and then loading luggage into car....all on me because I don't work and DH does and usually has to work extra before the trips. Even that is down to a routine. I will say it's easier now that the kids are all grown and out (only need to worry with DH and my stuff...and no running kids to activities and make dinner while getting ready for a trip or having kids mess up the clean house and having to pack for them and make sure they have clothes that fit and dealing with sick kids sometimes too). So these trips are like 'AHHHHHHH' for me. But when DH mentions wanting to try something different for vacation...I bristle.

^^^sorry...way more info than I normally share about my life. Just having a rough time, and IRL I don't share, at all. Cathartic to vomit some struggles to strangers.
No need to apologize. Totally get and been there. It is good to vent at times and to people other than those in your close circle. I know venting to my DH is very unhelpful...same with to my mother. Sometimes you just need be heard. :hug:

Vacation for me are also a NEED. Not a luxury but something I have to do. My daily life is not one that is stressful. Vacation for me is an addiction/ need I run to, not something I used to run away from the daily life. I simply need a break in the routine And have to have something new to look forward to. That’s probably really yet I cannot imagine just going day in day out without having a break for something different.

Disney though is A different situation.Without getting into too many details , my trips to WDW really started because of a Traumatic family situation with WDW being the straw that broke the camels back in this family drama. Believe it or not but WDW Was the trigger that cost my one parent to disown me. This happened about 10 years ago. Traveling to WDW since Has almost become a therapy. As PP Also stated these trips are for me a healing process. We also travel throughout the year to many other places besides Disney. Getting away is such a priority that other things are left to the side. For example we have a disgusting couch in our living room there’s actually almost embarrassing. ISO spending the five grand to replace that, we keep using that for new vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter