Haunted Mansion vs Pirates of the Caribbean

Better ride?

• Total voters
I'd take Pirates any day, especially if Haunted has holiday (hate the holiday overlay). Pirates makes me feel like I am in the middle of a pirates life!!!

Yeah, man, I mean those are two absolute greats, but gotta go with my Mansion. Still, it's a tough one!

It's a tough one. Pirates is probably the better actual ride, with its more spectacular set pieces, but I feel Haunted Mansion is the more complete experience. Queue, pre-show, ride, post-show tidbit.

Even more so now that Pirates has been politically corrected so much over the years. The Haunted Mansion edges it out for me.

The queue makes more sense, with the house, gravestones, horseless hearse. It feels more like a place than a line. The sliver of queue in Pirates where you catch a glimpse of the Blue Bayou is nice, but most of it just meanders outside and it's not as much of a "place."

Pre-show, the elevator on Haunted Mansion is genius. I don't think they even planned it that way, as the stretching room is a holdover from its walkthrough days (I heard), but it's one of the most iconic Disney theme park pre-shows ever. Pirates doesn't have it.

Actual ride? Pirates takes it in terms of sheer spectacle.

Post-show? Haunted Mansion doesn't have much, but the "hurry back" lady is the perfect cherry-on-top. Pirates has a bird, right?

Last edited:
The queue makes more sense, with the house, gravestones, horseless hearse. It feels more like a place than a line. The sliver of queue in Pirates where you catch a glimpse of the Blue Bayou is nice, but most of it just meanders outside and it's not as much of a "place."

The exterior and queue is the one thing that MK POTC has over the DL version. The ride itself is way, way better at DL, but I do prefer the Spanish fortress to the New Orleans style manor house.

I pretty much won't visit the park if HM is down for refurb, but will if Pirates is unavailable, so that's how I decided my vote. But so, so close!

The exterior and queue is the one thing that MK POTC has over the DL version. The ride itself is way, way better at DL, but I do prefer the Spanish fortress to the New Orleans style manor house.
Did you ever manage to get to Disneyland Paris? I seem to remember you wanted to go, but something came in between?

When it comes to exterior Disneyland Paris did a fantastic job on both rides in situating them in the landscape.

I never got used to PotC in the US as I am so used to the scenes being in a certain order. When in the US the ride feels off.

Did you ever manage to get to Disneyland Paris? I seem to remember you wanted to go, but something came in between?

When it comes to exterior Disneyland Paris did a fantastic job on both rides in situating them in the landscape.

I never got used to PotC in the US as I am so used to the scenes being in a certain order. When in the US the ride feels off.

Yeah, something called COVID put the brakes on Paris for now. 😞 I was planning to go last year. Hopefully I'll get to try again, maybe early next year.

They're both on my list of top rides, but if I have to pick 1 it's POTC. I don't mind sitting out on HM when my children don't want to ride, but I will not miss POTC on any trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter