Haunted Mansion Tweaks

DS and I just returned yesterday from a week at WDW. We rode HM 4 times. The dangling body is definitely more visible in that left room. I noticed right away and my son agreed that it has never been more clear.
It had never appeared gory to me in the past, but the body in the left room definitely looks like a withered mummy hanging from a rope. Not sure if the gore is new or its just a result of the improved lighting that I can see it more clearly now

DS and I just returned yesterday from a week at WDW. We rode HM 4 times. The dangling body is definitely more visible in that left room. I noticed right away and my son agreed that it has never been more clear.
It had never appeared gory to me in the past, but the body in the left room definitely looks like a withered mummy hanging from a rope. Not sure if the gore is new or its just a result of the improved lighting that I can see it more clearly now
The graveyard scene too was brightened up. I saw a lot of ghouls is never noticed before. That or it was always too dark to see them.
I noticed that as well

HM is our favorite attraction. I wouldn't mind just a bit more light when you enter into the room to form the queue. It's really dark there and people bump into each other just trying to find their way to the queue. Otherwise HM is perfect:earsboy:

Question about this... for a short time frame (like 5 years ago), when I rode HM the hitchhikers were personalized based on your Magic Band (for example, I am from Maryland, and my ghost said something about Maryland. I forget exactly. There were some others too. Something with my name on it as I recall.

That was (relatively quickly) removed. I have not noticed it since.

Does anyone know why it was removed and if it's ever coming back? Was it too creepy / invasive for people?
I remember just once seeing one of the hitchhiking ghosts with a sign that said, Going to NYC, which is where I'm from. I only saw it that once, though.

I will say, I noticed that the light levels outside REALLY made a difference to the level of detail I noticed in the ride. On a bright sunny day, my eyes took too long to adjust to the dark, and everything was a bit fuzzier and less distinct as a result. When riding at night or a very overcast day, the ride was much sharper (and the details much scarier). Could that be what was going on for you?

I will say, I noticed that the light levels outside REALLY made a difference to the level of detail I noticed in the ride. On a bright sunny day, my eyes took too long to adjust to the dark, and everything was a bit fuzzier and less distinct as a result. When riding at night or a very overcast day, the ride was much sharper (and the details much scarier). Could that be what was going on for you?

This is exactly what happens to me too. Sometimes it's like a different ride in places.

The Ghost Host says, "-consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows, and no doors.
Which offers you a chilling challenge: To find a way OUT!"
"Of course, there's always MY way..."

Lightning flashes at the top of our chamber to reveal:
a BODY swinging from a rope noose in the attic.

Then (in sudden darkness,) we hear the body fall to the floor of our chamber and (falling along with it) an anguised scream.

The point of this section of the attraction is that there IS a (hanged) body, and it is that of the Ghost Host.)

So I always thought it meant that we were all next on the hangman’s noose? That would be our way out, turned into ghosts ourselves. Thanks for clarifying, I guess it’s not as morbid as I had always thought. But how did he get hanged?

This feature on all the different rides that has it seems to come and go. I don't know about the HM one for certain but did see our names at SW, ST and EE during our trip at Christmas.

Yeah, I just did a little more googling and see various reports of them being turned on and off. I never noticed some of them (like ST and Mission Space). It looks like HM has never been turned back on though for whatever reason.

Yeah, I just did a little more googling and see various reports of them being turned on and off. I never noticed some of them (like ST and Mission Space). It looks like HM has never been turned back on though for whatever reason.
I didn't notice ST till our trip in December. I was surprised as I had never seen it on the list of places that offered it. Both DH and I appeared, at different times.

The Ghost Host says, "-consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows, and no doors.
Which offers you a chilling challenge: To find a way OUT!"
"Of course, there's always MY way..."

Lightning flashes at the top of our chamber to reveal:
a BODY swinging from a rope noose in the attic.

Then (in sudden darkness,) we hear the body fall to the floor of our chamber and (falling along with it) an anguised scream.

The point of this section of the attraction is that there IS a (hanged) body, and it is that of the Ghost Host.)
Whoa, we are to assume the body hanging is the Ghost Host?

I remember just once seeing one of the hitchhiking ghosts with a sign that said, Going to NYC, which is where I'm from. I only saw it that once, though.
Darn, wish I hadn't seen this, now I will be hoping for this on our upcoming trip! LOL

The graveyard scene too was brightened up. I saw a lot of ghouls Ive never noticed before. That or it was always too dark to see them.

Historically, if the graveyard scene looked brighter it was not due to improved lighting, but rather, brighter paint.

(Mind with all the recent advances in lighting technology, changed lighting is also entirely possible. )

Darn, wish I hadn't seen this, now I will be hoping for this on our upcoming trip! LOL

Some rides still do it, it seems. However, HM's has not appeared for a few years now. It sounds like it's been disabled. Maybe it creeped people out. Or one person complained their house got haunted and blamed Disney.

I agree, the adjustment from bright sunlight to inside the HM can sometimes impact what you are able to see. But that wasn't the case for me. It was bright and sunny when I went on the ride

Rode it yesterday and was in the stretch room on the left. Definitely easier to see the hanging ghost host. Also things were spruced up in much of the ride and especially the graveyard scene. Was a fun ride

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter