Haunted Mansion Refurb December 1-19th

Aww man. I was really looking forward to riding HM for the first time. My boyfriend and I going to be there from Dec 10-Dec 16. We weren't able to ride it during our first ever trip last year so I thought we would do it this year, but I guess we'll just have to wait until next year.. :sad:

We arrive late on the 29th, but were only tentatively thinking of going to a park that evening. Our first day in the parks is November 30th, and we were planning on the Magic Kingdom in the morning, and Epcot in the afternoon/evening. I'm just worried that the lines for Haunted Mansion will be extra long if people realize it's the final day before refurb. We'll have to see how it is and perhaps just resign ourselves to missing it this time around; it's not like we haven't ridden it before, but like so many are saying, it is a favorite.

We are officially going to the park on the 30th now - yes, the lines might be longer, however, if I can get a fast pass for it, we will - if not, we'll wait - I love HM way to much to miss it if I can avoid the refurbishment schedule.

I've ridden it over 50 times (maybe more) but still it's a HUGE favorite of mine in MK. I just hope they don't shut it down early - but considering that's a Sunday, on Thanksgiving weekend, I'm guessing that won't happen. Ok, "Hoping" that won't happen.

Not that I think they would refurb Haunted Mansion in prime Halloween season but I'm SOOOOOOOO glad this doesn't overlap with my trip! I would have been really disappointed!! I'm already sad that they extended the gift shop refurb :(

Argh! We are going Nov 28 - Dec 7th, so we can ride HM the 28, 29, and 30th. But, we are doing the Marceline to Magic Tour on the Wednesday, the 3rd and they go backstage at HM, as I was just reading in another thread. I was excited to read that, then a poster said it would be down for refurb during their trip. I said to myself, glad it wouldn't be during my trip, I'm sure they wouldn't close such a popular ride during the busy Christmas season! Very wrong, I guess, and another Disney disappointment. At least we will get to ride it, but that's a big ride to take out at such a busy time.

Any idea if they would replace that part of the Marceline to magic with behind the scenes tour of another ride? That kinda takes a big chunk of the tour out, so the tour will be shorter and offer less if they don't add something else. Anyone know? TIA!

We arrive late on the 29th, but were only tentatively thinking of going to a park that evening. Our first day in the parks is November 30th, and we were planning on the Magic Kingdom in the morning, and Epcot in the afternoon/evening. I'm just worried that the lines for Haunted Mansion will be extra long if people realize it's the final day before refurb. We'll have to see how it is and perhaps just resign ourselves to missing it this time around; it's not like we haven't ridden it before, but like so many are saying, it is a favorite.

Same here, arriving on the 29th. We were planning to just hang out until Monday but now we'll probably slide in on the 30th so we can ride HM. MVMCP is Sunday night the 30th which means earlier rather than later.
sigh....

Still kinda surprised they would take it down then instead of after or before the holidays. Wonder what they are doing?

I'm upset too. I was just saying to myself how lucky I was so far that nothing was being refurbed during my trip. Spoke too soon, I guess! I'm glad I'm planning another trip for next year then!

Also, just to point something out that is incorrect I keep seeing about it being closed during "the busy Christmas season", the first 3 weeks in December are the least attended and the most recommended of the whole, entire year. See here for more info.. It's the ultimate irony that the 3 best weeks to visit are followed by the single WORST week to visit for the entire year, that being Christmas Week, at which time the refurb for The Haunted Mansion will be over.

So, we may not like it, but Disney was smart to schedule it so for their bottom dollar. Christmas Week is "the busy Christmas season", not before, and the ride will be up and running by then. However, you couldn't PAY me to visit the World during that time. Thanks to the internet and websites like **************.net., I can plan to go to Disney World only during the the 15 most recommended weeks. I also try to avoid Jan.-March (only a couple weeks fall into the most recommended from there anyway) due to THAT being when there usually tend to be the most lengthy ride refurbs as well as shorter park hours.

But hey, ride refurbs can happen any time. Last time I was there, in 2012, Test Track was down. Pretty much every one of my trips, there's been something I missed. Just gives another reason to return, I guess! And 2 1/2 years for me has been too long!

This is so disapppointing, but hopefully they reopen it ontime and we can ride it on our departure day.

What are the chances of it reopening early? I know it's probably not good since the refurb is so short.

Believe it or not, the period just after Thanksgiving to about 5 days before Christmas is one of the quieter times at WDW. One of the ways we can see that is as DVC members, the time period between Thanksgiving and Christmas does not require near the points/day that the holiday period does. So, unfortunately, this is a time that Imagineering takes for quick refurbs.

Man, I hope it's just a refurb and they're not planning on cramming more cheap cartoon crud into the ride itself.

Man, I hope it's just a refurb and they're not planning on cramming more cheap cartoon crud into the ride itself.

I have read that it is to install an on-ride photo opportunity which would be awesome!!

No, now that's not opening until Jan 2015! I was looking forward to shopping in it in October, oh well, at least the ride will be open!

Bummed for all who can't ride it. :guilty:

I can't believe how long it is taking them to redo the shop!!! It's already closed, right? 4 months is a long time!

Really sad about this.... Taking my inlaws to WDW for the first time, and was looking forward to doing this ride with them most of all.

Oh well, any chance Disney ever postpones or delays these closures?

Every refurb is bad timing for someone, but it is a slower time so that's the risk.

I'm not sure of the need to add on-ride photos to the HM, which is what rumors indicate they are doing. I mean, usually the photos are to catch you at a surprising moment, like dropping into the briar patch, or the LIM launch on RnRC. HM's too tame. Maybe the photos will come with a hitchhiking ghost riding in your car with you? Actually, that could be cool if implemented well.

I am SO excited about the store though. More HM gear is always great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter