• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Haunted Mansion overlay changes?

tarheelalum

DIS Veteran
Since Halloween appears to be cast off to DCA, has there been any talk of not having the overlay at the Haunted Mansion or delaying when they put it up? I read through the Halloween thread but it has gotten so big its become worthless for getting information. Anyone hear anything?

Haunted Mansion Holiday is back this year. Haunted Mansion goes down for the installation on August 28th.

Haunted Mansion Holiday is back this year. Haunted Mansion goes down for the installation on August 28th.

Thats good to know. Have you heard any talk of the future. I've heard some rumors they may just put it up later on in the future. As horrible as that sounds.

Halloween hasn't been "cast off" to DCA, although it does seem likely that is the goal for the future. They are bringing Halloween decor back to DCA this year which I think is great, and I wish I could go see it but probably won't be able to. Disneyland will still have Halloween decorations, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, and the evening hard ticket Halloween parties.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...returns-september-15-through-october-31-2017/

ETA: I guess I should say it does seem likely the goal for the future is to get more Halloween stuff into DCA. I think it would be a good idea to move the Halloween parties over there actually, at least for a few years. I think the demand for Star Wars stuff is going to be high so DL will be busy enough. Plus, if they do turn their sights to some DCA upgrades, no doubt they will need distractions from the likely construction, closings, and other disruptions.

Last edited:

Thats good to know. Have you heard any talk of the future. I've heard some rumors they may just put it up later on in the future. As horrible as that sounds.

I haven't read anything other than speculation. I don't think there have been any actual rumors. When MiceChat/MiceAge recently posted an article that included rumors about upcoming changes to Halloween, how the transition to DCA would be handled in 2 phases, etc., nothing was said in the body of the article itself about the end of HMH, or an interruption/delay in the schedule of HMH.

However, someone in the comments under that article asked about Haunted Mansion Holiday and what these rumored changes might mean for its future. Dusty Sage answered, "That's a great question and I don't know the answer. But if overlays and Halloween parties successfully move to DCA, I wouldn't be surprised to see them eventually end the aging Nightmare overlay at Disneyland (at least while they are dealing with the huge demand of Star Wars Land). They'll probably need to do whatever they can to try to convince folks to visit DCA to help lessen the load on Disneyland Park."

So, there isn't any actual info to suggest that anything will delay or stop HMH in the future -- just speculation and understanding that it might be an option that Disney considers.

I can't imagine them getting rid of HMH forever, because it is part of the holiday season too, and it is way too popular. But I can picture some sort of scenario in which they put it on a hiatus for a few years, and then bring it back after some of the Star Wars madness has simmered down a bit. That doesn't mean that it will happen that way, but I could see it happening.

I don't even really think that the Halloween Party will stay in DCA forever either -- if it moves there at all next year. I can picture it being there for a few years and then going back to DL.

I can't imagine Disney ever getting rid of the HM overlay. While I prefer the original version, it makes this attraction with a moderate line into an E-ticket with an hour wait.

I don't see Halloween overlays at DCA as a replacement for, but rather an addition to the DL overlays and decorations. Halloween has become sooooo popular at the parks they need to spread it around to keep the crowds occupied.

I don't see Halloween overlays at DCA as a replacement for, but rather an addition to the DL overlays and decorations. Halloween has become sooooo popular at the parks they need to spread it around to keep the crowds occupied.

I hope you are right. We would not go to Disneyland during Halloween/Christmas if they did not have the holiday overlay at the Huanted Mansion. We absolutely love it. It makes our trip every time and it's why we are going again this fall. But long-term I fear Disney management will screw it up somehow. Sometimes it seems they just want to change things for the sake of change to say they did something as opposed to changing to enhance customers experiences at the parks. Kind of like the upcoming changes at Paradise Pier. But time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter